Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming Build - 1400 (ish)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

Looks great! A few things:
    • The P67 board may need a BIOS update for Ivy, so you'll need a spare 1155 CPU lying around
    • That CPU cooler and RAM aren't compatible due to the RAMs ridiculous heatspreaders. Change the RAM to one with less ludicrous ones
    • 630 watts won't be enough (I don't think) if you're going to be overclocking your two HD7950s (you have a CF motherboard, so I'm assuming you'll be dropping one in at a later date) and your CPU, maybe get the 730 watt version?
    • Keyboards from HWVS are in German layout, so it may be a better idea to order from Amazon.co.uk or somewhere similar
    • Maybe a better case if you're using two high-end graphics cards? A Corsair 400R?

That's all I can think of :)

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭alwayssideways

Eboggles wrote: »
    Looks great! A few things:
    • The P67 board may need a BIOS update for Ivy, so you'll need a spare 1155 CPU lying around
    • That CPU cooler and RAM aren't compatible due to the RAMs ridiculous heatspreaders. Change the RAM to one with less ludicrous ones
    • 630 watts won't be enough (I don't think) if you're going to be overclocking your two HD7950s (you have a CF motherboard, so I'm assuming you'll be dropping one in at a later date) and your CPU, maybe get the 730 watt version?
    • Keyboards from HWVS are in German layout, so it may be a better idea to order from Amazon.co.uk or somewhere similar
    • Maybe a better case if you're using two high-end graphics cards? A Corsair 400R?

That's all I can think of :)

You must have misread my post, I,m not going with twin 7950s! So PSU and case should be ok.

Thanks for the info about the keyboard. I was wondering why it was so cheap. With the RAM and CPU cooler....is the issue physical space between the two?

Would you recommend a different motherboard?

If you're not crossfiring why the motherboard with 2 PCIe x16 slots?

Anyway, the Z77 Pro3 is your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Bought that card week last week for €345 at HWVS :/ Oh well I expect it to arrive in a few days, it's supposed to be excellent.

• Advertisement

If you're not crossfiring why the motherboard with 2 PCIe x16 slots?

Anyway, the Z77 Pro3 is your best bet.

Thanks, I'll go for that motherboard so.

Will this RAM do sort out my other problem?

That RAM is perfect.

That case is built for silence BTW, so I'm unsure of its thermal performance.

Might be worth your while looking up some reviews, as that graphics card will heat up your case along with your CPU cooler.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Case looks very nice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I personally would get a bigger PSu and you could save a few €€€ by not getting 8GB or RAM as you will never use it in anything other then very intensive applications like CAD etc.

Apart from that best of luck, where are you ordering from BTW......makes a big difference if something goes belly up.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    I personally would get a bigger PSu and you could save a few €€€ by not getting 8GB or RAM as you will never use it in anything other then very intensive applications like CAD etc.

Apart from that best of luck, where are you ordering from BTW......makes a big difference if something goes belly up.

Why the bigger PSU? The system won't be drawing any more than 320 watts under full load...

Maximum 400 if there's heavy overclocking involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Not giving himself much room for upgrade thats all. You never know in the future if he wants to run dual GPUs etc. It will power the above rig for sure but with PC's the PSu is one area where you can actually future proof your rig where as GPU and CPU and RAM change all the time.

I got a Coolermaster Realpower 1000W PSu (overkill maybe but it was a bargain) on sale nearly 2 yrs ago for the same price as a 750w and it has outlasted all my other components. Its has outlasted my last 2 CPUs and and 3 GPUs, I am currently running an i5 2500K @ 4.8Ghz with an AMD 6990 with 4 HDDs and never skipped a beat.

I am not saying for one minute that he get a 1000w PSu either, just the best make he can afford as cheap ones do not give the proper volts on the rails just slighty bigger.

Just my 2 cents....

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Beez

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Not giving himself much room for upgrade thats all. You never know in the future if he wants to run dual GPUs etc. It will power the above rig for sure but with PC's the PSu is one area where you can actually future proof your rig where as GPU and CPU and RAM change all the time.

I got a Coolermaster Realpower 1000W PSu (overkill maybe but it was a bargain) on sale nearly 2 yrs ago for the same price as a 750w and it has outlasted all my other components. Its has outlasted my last 2 CPUs and and 3 GPUs, I am currently running an i5 2500K @ 4.8Ghz with an AMD 6990 with 4 HDDs and never skipped a beat.

I am not saying for one minute that he get a 1000w PSu either, just the best make he can afford as cheap ones do not give the proper volts on the rails just slighty bigger.

Just my 2 cents....

+1
    Should never skimp on PSU. People recommending the very minimum power supply on builds to save €30 or €40 is bad advice in my opinion.

Get something that guarantees to run future upgrades, probably save money over time due to power efficiency and not going to blow and fry all your components.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

A 450W/550W PSU is absolutely fine provided it's a good one. It's not all about the wattage, far too many people spec 750/850W PSUs when they'll never use half of it.

Advertisement