Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can bouncers ban you from a club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Why is it always lads with **** all posts that things like this happen to!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

alan1990 wrote: »
    Why is it always lads what **** all posts that things like this happen to!!

Re-regs because their original account got banned from here too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Try not to be a tosser, ie, change totally, then you will get in everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Ristiano Conaldo

alan1990 wrote: »
    Why is it always lads what **** all posts that things like this happen to!!
    Because things lads happen posts to like always ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Because things lads happen posts to like always ****.

Great first post....what does it mean??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

I don't mind bouncers, they are just keeping the club/pub safe for the normals. I did doorwork yonks ago, it can be a stressful job.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Overthrow

OP, you're probably a little pr!ck when drunk, whether you realise it or not. Approach the man when sober, and when he's not working and trying to manage a crowd full of pr!cks, and you might have some success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

With this new rule in Galway you won't need to be heading to carbon during the weeks, it'll be all about the houseparties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 rdogg12794

im never hammered in the line it was just the once im always aware of what im doin and when they take me out of the line i dont say anything i just laugh it off and pretend like i dont care

its cheap to get in i mean

i never buy drinks in clubs

i only go for the good time a club is only as good as the ppl in it thats y i like carbon every1 i know goes there

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Any business can ban a person if on a previous occasion, such was their behaviour that they were disruptive to staff or others visiting, causing a disturbance with might have lead to a breach of the peace or did/said something that effected them in such a way that it would be detrimental to their "Legal Duty of Care" to their other patrons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,092 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

if bouncers can't take a bit of verbal abuse then they are in the wrong job, i'm not saying they deserve it but they know dam well whats involved, the bouncer who banned the OP for life because he was called a prick needs to go get a new job and get over himself, he will eventually drive all the customers away anyway OP so you may as well find somewhere else to go.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

if bouncers can't take a bit of verbal abuse then they are in the wrong job, i'm not saying they deserve it but they know dam well whats involved, the bouncer who banned the OP for life because he was called a prick needs to go get a new job and get over himself, he will eventually drive all the customers away anyway OP so you may as well find somewhere else to go.

If a customer can't take the consequences of abusing bouncers he needs to stop drinking and take up bowling, snooker or Bingo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Out of interest what happened for you to call him a prick?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Had a dickhead of a bouncer threaten to throw me out of a pub about 5 weeks ago.

What happened was it was around closing time, and you know the way you would get a bit of grace time after they stop serving, usually lasts about 15 minutes I guess right? My friends and I actually go to the same pub pretty much every week and the barman knows us all very well, actually on a quiet weekend, my friends and I which would consist of 7 or 8 people including myself pretty much keep the place in business.

Anyway the bar stopped serving and the owner is usually very flexible with us as we are no trouble at all and he even has a drink with us and have a bit of banter as we finish our last pint.

But this one night me and a friend of mine were just drinking talking away, was having a great night, next thing this bouncer walks over, singles me out looks me right in the eyes and says "You got two choices, you either leave yourself or I **** ya out" My friend and I just stood there pure gobsmacked as we done nothing to make trouble or trigger this reaction from the bouncer, the dude looked at me like I insulted his mother or somehing.

Feeling disrespected and unwanted we left. My friend was more pissed off than I was, but I was mad as **** over it for 2 days afterwards. Never happened me before.

Showed up to the same pub 2 weeks later and the bouncer is there pretending nothing happened. Going to be sketchy around him every time I'm in there from now on. Not going to let it throw me though as I always liked that pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    Showed up to the same pub 2 weeks later and the bouncer is there pretending nothing happened. Going to be sketchy around him every time I'm in there from now on. Not going to let it throw me though as I always liked that pub.

Or when you go back around and ask what the story is?
    Maybe he knows one of the other lads or he thinks he knows you or anything could be up.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Overthrow

Had a dickhead of a bouncer threaten to throw me out of a pub about 5 weeks ago.

What happened was it was around closing time, and you know the way you would get a bit of grace time after they stop serving, usually lasts about 15 minutes I guess right? My friends and I actually go to the same pub pretty much every week and the barman knows us all very well, actually on a quiet weekend, my friends and I which would consist of 7 or 8 people including myself pretty much keep the place in business.

Anyway the bar stopped serving and the owner is usually very flexible with us as we are no trouble at all and he even has a drink with us and have a bit of banter as we finish our last pint.

But this one night me and a friend of mine were just drinking talking away, was having a great night, next thing this bouncer walks over, singles me out looks me right in the eyes and says "You got two choices, you either leave yourself or I **** ya out" My friend and I just stood there pure gobsmacked as we done nothing to make trouble or trigger this reaction from the bouncer, the dude looked at me like I insulted his mother or somehing.

Feeling disrespected and unwanted we left. My friend was more pissed off than I was, but I was mad as **** over it for 2 days afterwards. Never happened me before.

If your fond of the manager you'd be doing him a favour by letting him know how his staff is treating the customers.

Because of a number of discrimination cases in Ireland taken against a few places, the Equal Status Act 2000 came into creation.
    In order to balance what cannot be used against a person and barring them from a place, against what reason legally a person might be stopped from entering, justification was clarified in a number of ways - one of which is below:
    15.—(1) For greater certainty, nothing in this Act prohibiting discrimination shall be construed as requiring a person to dispose of goods or premises, or to provide services or accommodation or services and amenities related to accommodation, to another person (“the customer”) in circumstances which would lead a reasonable individual having the responsibility, knowledge and experience of the person to the belief, on grounds other than discriminatory grounds, that the disposal of the goods or premises or the provision of the services or accommodation or the services and amenities related to accommodation, as the case may be, to the customer would produce a substantial risk of criminal or disorderly conduct or behaviour or damage to property at or in the vicinity of the place in which the goods or services are sought or the premises or accommodation are located.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2000/en/act/pub/0008/sec0015.html#sec15

Its long winded but basically, if you were there before and was possible trouble or someone deemed you further could be trouble in the future, judging by past experience, they then have the legal right to stop entry and cease servicing said person with goods, etc, too.

In law, they just cannot bar anyone legally on very first appearance - if they did that and the person involved (in a remote chance) decided to legally pursue a case against them, they (the bar/club) might find it self in 'hot water' and even risk losing their licences or/and the placement of fines.

They have to be justified.

Overthrow wrote: »
    If your fond of the manager you'd be doing him a favour by letting him know how his staff is treating the customers.

He is hired by a separate security company I found out later so the manager has no real control over the bouncer.

Or when you go back around and ask what the story is?
    Maybe he knows one of the other lads or he thinks he knows you or anything could be up.

The manager knows what happened anyway, my friend called another friend of ours that was still in the pub and told him and he went and told the manager. Haven't heard a thing about it since, long forgot by now I'd say. Kind of didn't want to make a big deal about it worrying that the bouncer would bear a grudge.

Colmustard wrote: »
    If a customer can't take the consequences of abusing bouncers he needs to stop drinking and take up bowling, snooker or Bingo.
    its abuse, its not nice but one gets over it. if the OP attacked the bouncer then thats a different story and would be a good reason for a lifetime bann.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

In a chipper a bouncer pushed my girlfriend quite hard for no reason, she hadn't been drinking and is not messy or loud or anything, it was bang out of order.

I got annoyed by it and decided to be her brave superman and defend my lady.

So, I got my burger, chips and coke and walked outside, avoiding all eye contact with the big bad bouncer, I positioned myself about 5 metres away from mr,boucer and proceeded to give him my menacing death stare.

Told girlfriend to get ready to run, she said why, and I said just get ready to run okay. I chucked a single chip at the bouncers head, it missed, he turned and looked at me angrily, I took out another chip as quickly as I could and fired it at him which connected right on the forehead, boom, I then ran like a little bitch as fast asI could until I could'nt breathe, that'll learn him to mess with me.

In a chipper a bouncer pushed my girlfriend quite hard for no reason, she hadn't been drinking and is not messy or loud or anything, it was bang out of order.

So, I got my burger, chips and coke and walked outside, avoiding all eye contact with the big bad bouncer, I positioned myself about 5 metres away from mr,boucer and proceeded to give him my menacing death stare.

Told girlfriend to get ready to run, she said why, and I said just get ready to run okay. I chucked a single chip at the bouncers head, it missed, he turned and looked at me angrily, I took out another chip as quickly as I could and fired it at him which connected right on the forehead, boom, I then ran like a little bitch as fast asI could until I could'nt breathe, that'll learn him to mess with me.

You should have ordered the fish - chucked it at him and he would have been battered! :D

The manager knows what happened anyway, my friend called another friend of ours that was still in the pub and told him and he went and told the manager. Haven't heard a thing about it since, long forgot by now I'd say. Kind of didn't want to make a big deal about it worrying that the bouncer would bear a grudge.

If it was a new bouncer and there were about 8 of you then he was probably trying to establish the thing of "don't start any trouble". If he's not being a prick all the time just count it as a once off or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

OP be thankful you didn't do it to the bouncers on the doors of the plaza in Tallaght. ;)

Should have made sure it was dripping with vinegar, get a drop in his eye could bring him to his knees! :D

its abuse, its not nice but one gets over it. if the OP attacked the bouncer then thats a different story and would be a good reason for a lifetime bann.

It was abuse and undermining the bouncers authority and I would say when he was refused all the other times that he was at least well oiled going to a nightclub from a pub as we all are, that when he was refused again I very much doubt he walked away peacefully.

I know the type.

Biggins wrote: »
    In law, they just cannot bar anyone legally on very first appearance - if they did that and the person involved (in a remote chance) decided to legally pursue a case against them, they (the bar/club) might find it self in 'hot water' and even risk losing their licences or/and the placement of fines.

They have to be justified.

doesn't stop them from trying though i'd say.
    i take it they can legally refuse someone entry based on appearance though?
    both can be done in a way that can be deemed to be justified. the average person just moves on to another club.

If it was a new bouncer and there were about 8 of you then he was probably trying to establish the thing of "don't start any trouble". If he's not being a prick all the time just count it as a once off or something.

He wasn't new, he's been there since the place opened. He never came across as a prick before, never had any complaints, until that night. Meh..best to forget about it, just treat it as one good night that ended badly.

He wasn't new, he's been there since the place opened. He never came across as a prick before, never had any complaints, until that night. Meh..best to forget about it, just treat it as one good night that ended badly.

If it happens again ask him.
    Honestly it could be any number of reasons.

Or you're the prick and the bouncer cried over it:pac:

• Advertisement

doesn't stop them from trying though i'd say.
    i take it they can legally refuse someone entry based on appearance though?
    both can be done in a way that can be deemed to be justified. the average person just moves on to another club.

On appearance - thats questionable under certain circumstances.
    Under points listed in Irish discrimination laws and the Equal Status Act, there is a number of specific areas that are clarified.

Also in there is indirect discrimination:

Quote:
    Indirect discrimination occurs when practices or policies that do not appear to discriminate against one group more than another actually have a discriminatory impact. It can also happen where a requirement that may appear non-discriminatory adversely affects a particular group or class of persons.
    http://www.barkeeper.ie/page.asp?menu=0&page=518

Its VERY risky nowadays for a place to try barring a person based on their attire.
    Legally if there is a dress code, such provisions might have to appear legally and previously established in their business organisation memorandum.
    They also have to have advertised and/or showed signs to the public to make them aware of such a dress code.
    They have to show that they previously made the public aware of such a code - and justify it.

In reality, I know some people have (and probably still are) being stopped from entering over certain clothing or shoes.
    Its stupid and petty in most cases. It goes on.
    Those doing it blatantly are seriously leaving their business open to litigation - if a case ever got that far.

Advertisement