Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Watch (stuff in the shops)!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

They were put up on Clarendon Street, Wicklow Street and Grafton Street the end of October and they tested them October 25th by having the lights on for a few hours.
    Then on November 5th they were lighting again, for a couple of nights for further testing etc..

The big switch on was on Friday November 18th last year, with Michael Bubbles doing the honours. :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Posy wrote: »
    They were put up on Clarendon Street, Wicklow Street and Grafton Street the end of October and they tested them October 25th by having the lights on for a few hours.
    Then on November 5th they were lighting again, for a couple of nights for further testing etc..

The big switch on was on Friday November 18th last year, with Michael Bubbles doing the honours. :)

I wonder who will be doing the honors this year!

I remember it was CRAZY last year- people were nearly crushed in the crowd.

Waaaaay more turned up than expected for the 6pm switch on- you couldn't even get up Grafton Street and the police had to close it off, then when more people kept arriving they panicked and turned on the lights about 20 minutes early! It was a mess!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I remember it was CRAZY last year- people were nearly crushed in the crowd.

Waaaaay more turned up than expected for the 6pm switch on- you couldn't even get up Grafton Street and the police had to close it off, then when more people kept arriving they panicked and turned on the lights about 20 minutes early! It was a mess!

Yeah Michael tends to have that effect :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭flutegirl

leahyl wrote: »
    Yeah Michael tends to have that effect :-P

I might have to dig out his Christmas CD from the glove compartment tomorrow and have a sing-a-long on the way to work...:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

Christmas cards and card holders in the euro shops in Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Boots have some of their Christmas gift sets out already :)

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭IrishGurll

I was in wilton shopping center in Cork today and I was shocked :O Penneys had a whole section of Christmas wrapping paper decorations cards etc , And then I went to tesco and it was the same thing practically a whole ile full of Christmas decorations :D , I'm so excited now :D there were a couple of small shops that I seen them in aswell :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

M&S have some mistletoe cakes and some puddings in stock now, saw them there yesterday :)

Judging by the threads for this time last year, the shops seem to be slow on the uptake this year! I bought lots of decorations by this time last year and there is hardly any so far this year. Hurry up shops!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

My local lidl have their selection of Christmas nommies in

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭IrishGurll

Theres loads of Christmas stuff in Cork , Dealz have all there Christmas stock in they have brilliant decorations , The same with tesco and pennys they have loads of Christmas decorations :)

Went into Brown Thomas Christmas shop finally and got some beautiful decorations for the tree. I picked some up in Penneys too. Got the kids their advent calendars in Heatons the other day.

I still haven't been in the Brown Thomas Christmas shop or bought any presents!
    I don't know what I'm up to this year at all! :eek:

Must go to BT though, that'll kickstart my Christmas frenzy! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

M&S have taken over a shop (the company moved upstairs) in Dundrum beside their own shop, it's to be their M&S Gift Shop 'opening soon' - all Christmas Cards & wrapping paper so far that I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Awww! Hate the fact that there's no M&S on the Northside :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Woodies in Waterford have started putting their Christmas stuff out. I'd assume with the likes of Argos, Debenhams etc. taking on their seasonal staff now that the Christmas stuff will start appearing everywhere fairly soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Right, I think I might go into town tomorrow! I may just have a wander up to Brown Thomas...

It's entirely possible that I'm going to come home with an overwhelming Christmas feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Alicat wrote: »
    Right, I think I might go into town tomorrow! I may just have a wander up to Brown Thomas...

It's entirely possible that I'm going to come home with an overwhelming Christmas feeling.

OOOOHH must go to Brown Thomas myself soon! Still haven't been in to see the Christmas shop!

There are mysterious wire cables stretched between the buildings on Grafton Street.
    I wonder what will be hanging from them soon? :pac:

Squeeeeeeeeeee!!! :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Chibs

I was in M&S today in Drogheda they have a christmas section and they also have the food to order book out. Think ill order the snowball again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭washiskin

Chibs wrote: »
    I was in M&S today in Drogheda they have a christmas section and they also have the food to order book out. Think ill order the snowball again :D

What's the Snowball, Chibs?

Was in Penneys in Naaaavan yesterday - spoke with a lovely lady who may have been the Manager. She was putting out the Decorations and I must say they've pushed the boat out big-time this year: Santa Duvet Sets, Christmas Throws, little cuddly Snowman trios etc.
    I mentioned that people here get really nostalgic for the old Penneys Christmas Jingle and she was genuinely surprised. So my honeybun came up with a "cracker" of an idea: A Penneys bauble that played the jingle! :D

He may despair of my Christmas fanatacisim but he does come up with some great ideas.

I'd buy it! :D

(the only version I could find online of the old jingle was the 'Primark' one but it's just not the same!!) :p

• Registered Users Posts: 46 DreaminOnAStar

IrishGurll wrote: »
    Theres loads of Christmas stuff in Cork , Dealz have all there Christmas stock in they have brilliant decorations , The same with tesco and pennys they have loads of Christmas decorations :)

I was in Cork last weekend and I wasn't in the mood for clothes shopping so went looking for Christmas stuff instead!
    And there was a surprisingly good lot of Christmas stuff out. Well Penneys had a load of stuff as usual - good old Penneys! I didn't see the duvet sets but must look out for them.

I went into BT's there and their Christmas shop is really lovely - I felt like I was in a smaller version of a New York store! I had my eye on a Nutcracker soldier, but I didn't get it. Kind of kicking myself now as I won't be in Dublin for a while and they'll probably be gone. I thought €30 was a bit much, but when you think of it Christmas decorations are investments! Ha!

Anyway M&S were getting their stuff later on in the week, but they had lovely stuff in the Food Hall.
    I also came across a Christmas shop in Cork, run by a Hospice. Got some lovely things in there - really cheap and all the money went to the hospice. I think the ladies there were underpricing their stuff as I would have paid more for the stuff.

Anyway it's so lovely to see all the stuff making an appearance!

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Chibs

washiskin wrote: »
    What's the Snowball, Chibs?

Was in Penneys in Naaaavan yesterday - spoke with a lovely lady who may have been the Manager. She was putting out the Decorations and I must say they've pushed the boat out big-time this year: Santa Duvet Sets, Christmas Throws, little cuddly Snowman trios etc.
    I mentioned that people here get really nostalgic for the old Penneys Christmas Jingle and she was genuinely surprised. So my honeybun came up with a "cracker" of an idea: A Penneys bauble that played the jingle! :D

He may despair of my Christmas fanatacisim but he does come up with some great ideas.
    Sorry i ment Snow bombe. http://christmasfood.marksandspencer.com/listing/desserts/puddings/White-chocolate-snow-bombe.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

I'd buy it! :D

(the only version I could find online of the old jingle was the 'Primark' one but it's just not the same!!) :p

Here's the 1996 version :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 lazy girl

I totally agree so wish there was an M&S ON the northside!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Fixed that for you :)

I bought the Santa duvet in Penneys. 100% cotton. I look forward to Christmas Eve! Am on the lookout for amazing pyjamas to finish the experience properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Anne Other

mud wrote: »

Fixed that for you :)

I bought the Santa duvet in Penneys. 100% cotton. I look forward to Christmas Eve! Am on the lookout for amazing pyjamas to finish the experience properly.

How much are the duvet covers and what size do they come in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Anne Other wrote: »
    How much are the duvet covers and what size do they come in?

Single/Double/King. I paid €22 or 24 I think for a double :)

Advertisement