Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSU Recommendation

Options
  • 28-08-2012 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hi guys, well aware this is a done to death thread! Building my rig in the next week or so, just need a PSU to complete the build. Going by most recommendations here I'm looking at a Super-Flower Amazon.. Just trying to figure out what wattage I'll need.

My rig thus far consists of an Ivy Bridge i5 of which I'll be using the integrated graphics until I can afford a 7950 or something similar, 2 SSDs, a 1tb HDD, 16GB DDR3 and a Sony Optiarc all running on a Gigabyte Z77 UD5H.

I know you can't skimp on a PSU but I'm trying to keep the cost down as much as possible at this stage after already exceeding my planned budget!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

Hi guys, well aware this is a done to death thread! Building my rig in the next week or so, just need a PSU to complete the build. Going by most recommendations here I'm looking at a Super-Flower Amazon.. Just trying to figure out what wattage I'll need.

My rig thus far consists of an Ivy Bridge i5 of which I'll be using the integrated graphics until I can afford a 7950 or something similar, 2 SSDs, a 1tb HDD, 16GB DDR3 and a Sony Optiarc all running on a Gigabyte Z77 UD5H.

I know you can't skimp on a PSU but I'm trying to keep the cost down as much as possible at this stage after already exceeding my planned budget!
    550 watt Amazon should be fine.

I saw one of these Super Flower PSUs lately. Never heard of them so didn't know whether it was any good or not, what's the story?

I went with the Antec HCG-520 in the end, it's built by Seasonic. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭CapricornOne

Eboggles wrote: »
    550 watt Amazon should be fine.

That'll be good for when I add a discrete GPU?

I'll actually be in the US next week, if I buy a PSU over there will it work here? Prices work out a lot cheaper and free shipping is a huge bonus.

*Edit - After some quick research, any PSU with active PFC should work over here, for example
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371016

Would that be correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Karsini wrote: »
    I saw one of these Super Flower PSUs lately. Never heard of them so didn't know whether it was any good or not, what's the story?

I went with the Antec HCG-520 in the end, it's built by Seasonic. :)

Some are good, some are bad. Same as any company. They have some cheap good ones.
    I'll actually be in the US next week, if I buy a PSU over there will it work here? Prices work out a lot cheaper and free shipping is a huge bonus.

Most PSUs will work in Europe, but just check the box anyway. You'll still need an Irish/UK cable. Newegg has great stuff but you're not going to be able to just ship it there unless you know someone who lives there. What you find in the shops might vary in price or quality in comparison. Be sure to research before you buy. As for the PSU, I'd go with the Neo Eco over the basiq myself. Beware that sometimes it doesn't come with modular cables. Judging by the reviews on newegg, they one that they have is non-modular but it just doesn't come with the main plug, which is no use to you.
    Your choices depend on the stock that the individual shops carry.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

You can get that delivered on amazon.co.uk for £50... which is €63.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/XFX-P1-550S-XXB9-PRO550W-Edition-Supply/dp/B004RJ8EKI/
    (choose amazon.co.uk on the RHS).

On newegg it's $75 which is just under €60.

To be honest, I wouldn't bother at a saving of that little. Incidentally, that's much the same PSU as the Antec neo eco - both are made by Seasonic.

Picked it up for 50 euro delivered on Amazon US. 2 day delivery with prime

Advertisement