Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quick question, need some help!

• 28-08-2012 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Sorry of this has been done like, one thousand times already on this forum! Just finished my LC, starting Arts in a few weeks, and just wondering on a bit of advice for subject choice! I'm going to do Irish, Geography, and either English or History. Which would be better to do? Are my subject choices good? I have the intentions of keeping geography and Irish on until third year! Wise choice? Any other subjects I should consider?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

It depends on what you want to do after. Should we assume since you're posting here that you want to be a teacher? Or are you just asking here because teachers are awesome?

I'd say english is probably the more useful of the two but not having studied arts, I don't really know.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Jobs wise, I suppose Irish and Geography, but make sure your Irish is as good as you can get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭mockingjay

I'm going to do Irish, Geography, and either English or History. Which would be better to do? [/Quote]

I would consider holding on tho the English as opposed to History. English is a core subject. That would give you two 'cores' i.e. Irish and English. Some teachers get first/second year History as a timetable filler even though they haven't studied it at degree level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

mockingjay wrote: »
    I'm going to do Irish, Geography, and either English or History. Which would be better to do?

I would consider holding on tho the English as opposed to History. English is a core subject. That would give you two 'cores' i.e. Irish and English. Some teachers get first/second year History as a timetable filler even though they haven't studied it at degree level.[/QUOTE]

I may be wrong but I think I read on a thread that there was a possibility that history and geography are going to be merged for the new Junior Cert. It really depends where your interests lie and which subject would you enjoy teaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 RachEnnis

I love English anyway, and I had always enjoyed history, but the option in my secondary school to do it for the LC was unavailable, as there were only a small number who wanted to do it. I got an A in English in the LC, but if history and geography are going to be merged into one for the JC, then I'd really have to be able to do history as well, wouldn't I?

• Advertisement

I would say you wouldn't have to to be recognised by the TC (degrees in history and geography seems unrealistically specific and uncommon to qualify to teach a single subject) but it would probably make it a bit easier for you to actually teach the subject if they are merged.
    I should say that I've heard nothing about then being merged but neither are relevent to me really I suppose so I might have missed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

RealJohn wrote: »
    I would say you wouldn't have to to be recognised by the TC (degrees in history and geography seems unrealistically specific and uncommon to qualify to teach a single subject) but it would probably make it a bit easier for you to actually teach the subject if they are merged.
    I should say that I've heard nothing about then being merged but neither are relevent to me really I suppose so I might have missed it.

Just to reiterate: I don't know if the subjects will be merged I only saw it on a thread so it is only hearsay.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Just to reiterate: I don't know if the subjects will be merged I only saw it on a thread so it is only hearsay.

Historically, the Department always considered them technically the one subject since way back.
    The NCCA have not said they will be merged. They will both still exist at LC level anyway and are also both listed in the suggested 'core' JC subjects.

In fairness, while I had little or no interest in either subject in school and don't teach them, I definitely think they should be considered core subjects and would be disappointed if my school made either optional.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 RachEnnis

It'll probably be up to the school then, won't it? I know in the school I just finished, the principal always had a thing against history, he wouldn't put it on because of 'timetable issues', but really it was because he didn't like the history teacher. She also teaches geography, and is without a doubt the best teacher in the school. I was taking to her only a few days ago, and she told me that he has already made history optional for first years, but geography is core, still. So, it probably depends on the school, when it comes down to it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement