Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Exemption?

• 28-08-2012 2:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

So my sister is going to do her repeat year in a private school in Dublin and she wants to do medicine (and to my knowledge you need to repeat all subjects). She has been taking irish ever since primary school up till the leaving cert. At her interview, she was told that she is eligible to be exempt from Irish because we are not born in this country. I'm in the same situation but I just gave my JC, can I be exempt from Irish? I moved here two years after I was born. I find it pretty hard (impossible for me to get a low B in H)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭borrch

So my sister is going to do her repeat year in a private school in Dublin and she wants to do medicine (and to my knowledge you need to repeat all subjects). She has been taking irish ever since primary school up till the leaving cert. At her interview, she was told that she is eligible to be exempt from Irish because we are not born in this country. I'm in the same situation but I just gave my JC, can I be exempt from Irish? I moved here two years after I was born. I find it pretty hard (impossible for me to get a low B in H)

I'm afraid your not exempt. I believe you have to be over the age of 11 when you moved to Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭IveSeenFire

You will be exempt from the matriculation requirement of presenting Irish for the Lc and achieving the necessary grade minimum set by whichever NUI college she will be attending. ie You/She will not have to sit any part of the Irish exam if you choose, and it will not appear on your final results.
    This means however that you must still attend Irish classes throughout the year, so the exemption is kind of redundant. But if shes going to a grind school, they will most likely be flexible and you/she may be allowed to take a subject in lieu, or have some sort of free period.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭GrabTheCREAM

You will be exempt from the matriculation requirement of presenting Irish for the Lc and achieving the necessary grade minimum set by whichever NUI college she will be attending. ie You/She will not have to sit any part of the Irish exam if you choose, and it will not appear on your final results.
    This means however that you must still attend Irish classes throughout the year, so the exemption is kind of redundant. But if shes going to a grind school, they will most likely be flexible and you/she may be allowed to take a subject in lieu, or have some sort of free period.
    So I can attend class but I won't give the exam?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Freemasonry

I got an exemption last year, I was 6 when I came hear and did JC/LC Irish at ordinary, did the LC twice even at LC, applied third time and got exemption.

It's all about your birth cert, if youre not born in the 28 counties, you can get exemption.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭mulciber

This is news to me. I was born in England and moved over to Ireland when I was 5. I've done OL Irish for the JC and I'm in 6th year now. So, if I wanted to, I could get an exemption from Irish and I would still have the entry requirements for for Irish colleges?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭GrabTheCREAM

I know my friend just started attending the institute this year and he's been living in ireland since he was like 4 or 5 (same as me) he done Irish up till JC but now he got an exemption. He's from Sudan. I'm from Pakistan. I think I should be able to get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Freemasonry

I know my friend just started attending the institute this year and he's been living in ireland since he was like 4 or 5 (same as me) he done Irish up till JC but now he got an exemption. He's from Sudan. I'm from Pakistan. I think I should be able to get one.

Like I said as long as you have a birth certificate that states you were born outside the 28 counties then you are ELIGIBLE (ring the NUI if you want to hear it from them), and listen to my story... I'm from Iran and I came here when I was 6 years old, I did the Irish for the JC, I did the leaving cert 3 times (2 of them ordinary Irish LC) and the third time (in the institute) I got an exemption because I failed both times and I got it.
    mulciber wrote: »
    This is news to me. I was born in England and moved over to Ireland when I was 5. I've done OL Irish for the JC and I'm in 6th year now. So, if I wanted to, I could get an exemption from Irish and I would still have the entry requirements for for Irish colleges?

Yes of course you can, do it all early though, get the application online from the NUI website, print it out, fill it in, keep it at home until the time is right then get the principal to sign it/stamp it, and bam send it in as soon as they start taking them.

Make sure you send a clear birth certificate photocopy and if you wanna go the extra mile, right an enclosed letter and tell them how you are struggling or struggled with your Irish exam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

mulciber wrote: »

If you gain an exemption from Irish in second level, then you are also exempt from the Irish entry requirement to college.

Advertisement