Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brisbane Vs Melbourne

Options
  • 28-08-2012 2:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hey Im just looking for some help.
    Im in Melbourne a good few months on the WHV. Love it here and was pretty easy to get work. (office work, call centre, customer service)
    Thinking of making the move to Brisbane in November after the Melbourne cup.
    Just wondering whats Brisbane like in comparison to Melbourne in regards to jobs (would it be similiar to Melbourne), rent (price, easy to get a place?) and then just the city in general. (size, restraunts, nightlife)
    All help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dave3004

Brisbane is tiny and you'll know the whole city within 3 days.

Stay !!!! And back Gatewood for the Melbouren Cup !

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Amazon32

Only doing the year WHV. So Melbourne 7months, Brisbane 3 and then planned on travelling the coast for 2 and finishing up in Sydney.
    So do you reccomend i just do 10 in melbourne?
    Makes sense to me I love this city but a change of scenary would be nice too. Was supposed to do 3 months farming but decided against the second year.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

If you're only here for the year then get out of your comfort zone (Melbourne) and give something else a shot. Why waste 12 months in the one spot if you may not be back for a long time after?

Brisbane's nice. The city is small, easy to get used to and the weather is better being further north. For three months it's perfect imo, and you can always pop down to the Gold Coast or Byron Bay for the weekend and that kind of thing.

Basically go and see somewhere different definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Brisbane is small and quiet. Positive aspect would be a laid back lifestyle and tropical (?) climate. If you can find work it's great, and there are lovely spots to get out to on the weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

If you are moving from Melbourne in Nov it is not the best time to do it. Weather getting good and things beginning to happen. Brisbane would be getting hot and humid towards the start of the year. Add in moving costs and time to settle in and get work, it is hardly worth your time if you only have 3 months in Brisbane. A trip there for 3 or 4 days would do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Ya i agree with the above, i left brisbane 2 weeks ago as i couldnt get a job.
    There aint alot of work going on there to be honest your better off staying put. Plus it was quite boring, only good thing about the place was the weather!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Amazon32

Thanks for all the input lads. Have gave this a lot of thought over the last few days.
    I think its best to stay put. I wont have as much money as I want. With travel expenses and then trying to get a place and a job up there, its just going to be expensive hassle.

Plan to stay here until 2nd week in Jan and save up as much as possible.
    Then we are gonna travel the coast from Cairns to Sydney (just see Brisbane then) for 2 months. Back to Melb for the Grand Prix in March and then fly home. Plan on doing a weekend in alice springs too.

Hopfully I will have no regrets...

Advertisement