Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If I study hard, could I do these two subjects in higher level for my leaving cert?

• 28-08-2012 7:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

Alright, I've just started 5th year, for my Junior Cert, I did ordinary level music, though, I want to do higher level for my leaving cert, I believe I probably got a decent score in my Junior Cert, I'm nearly sure I nailed the performance and got nearly a perfect score, and while I don't think I got a great score on the paper, I'm sure I got a decent one at least, I'd say overall I got a C or B in the Junior Cert, as stupid as it sounds, part of the reason I didn't do higher level in my Junior Cert was just not wanting to play tin whistle in the exam along with my vocals and I wasn't planning on picking music at the time, which was a stupid mistake, over the summer I've been learning piano and plan on continuing my work on that.
    I'm also picking up business studies for my leaving cert, which I didn't do for my leaving cert.
    If I work my ass off studying for both of these subjects, do you think I could realistically do them at higher level in the Leaving Cert?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There is a lot of theory in the HL LC Music.
    To be honest if you struggled with the little bit there is at JC, I think you'd have trouble at LC.

Are you doing Music theory along with your piano, or just learning to play?

Business Studies - I know many people take it up for the first time at Leaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭G.J.

I picked Music in 5th year having never done Music before, besides a small half year module in 4th year.

I only started to learn how to play the guitar over the summer before going into 6th year.

I ended up getting an A2 in the HL paper, with a good bit of work and a huge interest in the subject.

Honestly, if you think you'll be willing to put the work in, then go for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭amyleaving

Business should not be a problem , there is little links between the junior and leaving cert business course and it is not a huge course, there is not a lot of understanding needed for business, but if you are the type of person that cannot sit down and stare at a book for hours of theory , business may not be for you

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Mizzstefan

I never did business till 5th year and i did ordinary level in 5th year but my teacher told me i could try higher level in 6th year as i was getting really good grades i was wondering what grade i would manage to get? with 1 year of studying the higher level paper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

Mizzstefan wrote: »
    I never did business till 5th year and i did ordinary level in 5th year but my teacher told me i could try higher level in 6th year as i was getting really good grades i was wondering what grade i would manage to get? with 1 year of studying the higher level paper

If you were getting B or A's in ordinary you should manage higher level! You will really need to focus on the ABQ, its the same theory as the rest of the course just different questions with links involved , higher level is really the same theory as ordinary just maybe more points are needed or more explanation , just study very hard and you can do well , don't pick a certain grade just aim to do as well as you possibly can.

• Advertisement
Advertisement