Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Left foot Right foot!

• 28-08-2012 8:07am

Doing my test next month and have been wondering what foot I should have down when stopped at lights?

I'll be doing a pretest/lesson closer to the date but need to practice.

And will I be marked for Sitting at lights in gear?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

LookBehindYou from here is an insructor so I'm sure he'll be along to tell you for sure. My thoughts on it are that your left foot goes down. The reason being (in my head) that your right foot covers the back brake. Esp if you're doing a hill start. But I stand to be corrected. It's so long ago I did my test, I can't remember. LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Have you taken any lessons at this stage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Just did my IBT last week, it's left foot according to my instructor and I'd believe it for the reason mentioned above, covering the breaks. What good is it having your foot on the gears when you've dropped to first already?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

As said above form what i can remember it is left foot down and bike in first gear with right foot covering the break pedal, im sure lookbehindyou will be able to help as to the correct way.

From what i can recall from my test this is what i did and was not penalised for having bike in gear while sitting at the lights

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

As said above form what i can remember it is left foot down and bike in first gear with right foot covering the break pedal, im sure lookbehindyou will be able to help as to the correct way.

Yep thats correct.

• Advertisement

left foot down stay in first makes sense

I kept thinking left foot down in N and then you have to do a switcharo before pulling off

urbanledge wrote: »
    I kept thinking left foot down in N and then you have to do a switcharo before pulling off

Not good if you need a quick getaway! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Left foot down and right on the brakes is what I was told in my lessons.
    But in the real world, I find both feet down and hold the front brake far easier, I never use the back when stopped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Left foot down, in 1st gear waiting for takeoff, while covering the back brake with your right foot.
    Remember the 180 degrees look around before you take off from side of road, and also before the U turn. Done just before you move.
    90 degrees safety check in before any other turns, or changing your position on road.
    So oil the neck up.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Pipz

While that makes sense, I always put my right foot down, cause I hold onto the front brake at lights, because if something were to knock me off balance, my hand would stay on the brake where my foot would come off. Also, I keep my bike in neutral at lights, so I have my left foot up ready to pop it into first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

Thinking is that if you hold the front brake and are hit from behind you will go right over the handlebars as the bike flips forward! Back brake will stop that happening.

Pipz wrote: »
    While that makes sense, I always put my right foot down, cause I hold onto the front brake at lights, because if something were to knock me off balance, my hand would stay on the brake where my foot would come off. Also, I keep my bike in neutral at lights, so I have my left foot up ready to pop it into first.
    I always use front brake, I think both feet down gives you much more stability.
    TheFairy wrote: »
    Thinking is that if you hold the front brake and are hit from behind you will go right over the handlebars as the bike flips forward! Back brake will stop that happening.

Ah come on, if you're hit like that you're in trouble no matter what brake you're holding in! And the bike couldn't flip cos a car would be wedged into the back of you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Cienciano wrote: »
    Ah come on, if you're hit like that you're in trouble no matter what brake you're holding in! And the bike couldn't flip cos a car would be wedged into the back of you!

That's not exactly what I would call a correct answer.

Back break on and a car hits you from the rear straight on, the bike is gonna move forward with you on it until it catches something and goes to the side or you react and turn the handlebars.

Front break on and same situation the bike, depending on speed of collision, will push right forward depressing the forks, if there isn't enough movement in the forks to put up with the entire force then the bike will either start to move forward and immediately turn the bike given the front break is trying to hold you in place and the steering column is so far forward, or the back wheel will rise up and you could be thrown off.

Either way it's not a good thing to happen, but there are reasons why the back break is considered best practice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

I typically keep it in gear, with the rear brake covered at lights

with the plan being, Im ready to scarper if theres a car about to rearend me, or if I dont manage to, ive twice as many brakes applied

only take it out of gear if the lights aint gonna change for a while (and I know the sequence), and theres a stopped car behind me. Once out of gear, back to both brakes covered - overkill perhaps, but thats the habit at the moment :)

Back break on and a car hits you from the rear straight on, the bike is gonna move forward with you on it until it catches something and goes to the side or you react and turn the handlebars.

Front break on and same situation the bike, depending on speed of collision, will push right forward depressing the forks, if there isn't enough movement in the forks to put up with the entire force then the bike will either start to move forward and immediately turn the bike given the front break is trying to hold you in place and the steering column is so far forward, or the back wheel will rise up and you could be thrown off.

Either way it's not a good thing to happen, but there are reasons why the back break is considered best practice.
    Chances very slim. I'd rather the extra stability of 2 feet on the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Cienciano wrote: »

Chances very slim. I'd rather the extra stability of 2 feet on the ground.

2 feet down is the wrong choice - you're covering neither brakes nor gears, that way.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭DanWall

Yes but you have a choice without switching

galwaytt wrote: »
    2 feet down is the wrong choice - you're covering neither brakes nor gears, that way.

You're covering the front brake. Bike is in gear, so you don't need to cover the gears.

Really keep it in gear? I've had 2 clutch cables snap before.. Wouldn't like to be revving at lights when that happens. I'd usually find neutral, left foot down and then quickly kick into first and let the clutch out without putting the right down. Just balance for a sec.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭josh59

When I did my lessons I was told - bike in neutral left foot on back brake.

• Advertisement

Really keep it in gear? I've had 2 clutch cables snap before.. Wouldn't like to be revving at lights when that happens. I'd usually find neutral, left foot down and then quickly kick into first and let the clutch out without putting the right down. Just balance for a sec.

Why would you be revving the bike at the lights? :confused:

Keeping it in neutral because your clutch cable might snap is like driving really slow into corners because your brakes might fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

josh59 wrote: »

How do you manage that :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

theres never a good time for a clutch cable to break - stopped at lights with the brakes held, is prob one of the better times

but yes, a certain amount of mechanical sympathy is good to have..! so I do take it out of gear if Im stopping for a prolonged period

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

blu3r0ri0n wrote: »

Because it sounds cool :cool: . . . . Until your clutch cable snaps that is :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

blu3r0ri0n wrote: »

'Cos I want to keep up with Rossi who is revving the ****e out of his moped beside me!

Ha ha ha,
    I can picture it now.

Josh59 pulls up at the lights....
    clicks it into Neutral.....
    stand down...
    gets off....
    walks around the bike and puts his left foot on the back break :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Did my test about a month ago. I was told always have you left foot down and the right foot covering the rear break. When your slowing you will be breaking to a stop with only the rear break so if you put your right foot down it might say you werent breaking like you should.

I was also told keep the bike in gear at a stop incase you need to move out of danger fast and looks more refined I suppose. Best of luck

After you do your test with the left foot on the ground, bike in gear, right foot on the back brake do what ever feels comfortable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Lol, they haven't made them like that for a good while now ! ;-)

...from an age when it was called the Hendon Two Step, iirc......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement