Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Left foot Right foot!

Comments

blu3r0ri0n wrote: »
    Why would you be revving the bike at the lights? :confused:

Many reasons.. warming the bike up maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

Many reasons.. warming the bike up maybe.

Thats just one and to be honest, shouldn't be riding it if it is not warmed up, unless you dont give a fcuk about the bike.

Ok cool. You're right, I'm wrong. I point out a safety concern and you point out that I'm either a retard or a boy racer.

Ok cool. You're right, I'm wrong. I point out a safety concern and you point out that I'm either a retard or a boy racer.

AH HERE....LEAVE IT OUUUUUUUUUU

I'm sorry for offending you it was not my intention, I certainly wasn't suggesting that you are mentally impaired and I never heard a biker being called a boy racer before.

It's not about who is right or wrong, allot of newbies read these and its better that they get the correct advice.

I would love to hear another valid safety reason thats not overweighed by another. In all fairness every single instructor out there is going to advice that left foot down, in 1st gear waiting for takeoff, while covering the back brake with your right foot - there must be a good reason for that!

Yea it makes perfect sense and I'm not disputing it. Just adding my 2c since I've had two cables snap while driving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

blu3r0ri0n wrote: »
    Thats just one and to be honest, shouldn't be riding it if it is not warmed up, unless you dont give a fcuk about the bike.
    You sure? Last thing I read about it said you shouldn't let your bike warm up, just hop on and ride, just keep the revs low till it gets up to proper temperture.

Everyone has their own way of being stopped, I haven't read anything on here that would make me change from my way. Sometimes neutral, sometimes in gear, but always front brake if the bike is on a hill. I'd never stop the way you're supposed to do it.

Cienciano wrote: »
    You sure? Last thing I read about it said you shouldn't let your bike warm up, just hop on and ride, just keep the revs low till it gets up to proper temperture.

Everyone has their own way of being stopped, I haven't read anything on here that would make me change from my way. Sometimes neutral, sometimes in gear, but always front brake if the bike is on a hill. I'd never stop the way you're supposed to do it.

It will depend on the bike I guess, however, I was going on the assumption that his needed to be warmed up since that was the reason he gave.

As I said, its called best practice for a reason and instructors teach that to learners for a reason.If I was starting out I would want to do it the way that is thought by an instructor, also you will be marked down for it during the test.

Once you pass your test do what you want, everyone to their own. Personally it doesn't feel normal unless I have my back break engaged and in first gear if I am stopped at the lights, however, there are occasions where I would put it in to neutral to stretch a limb or two - I would still have the back break engaged though.

I think most people have their bike in neutral at the lights tbh. If you're driving around town it's good to give your hand a break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Yea it makes perfect sense and I'm not disputing it. Just adding my 2c since I've had two cables snap while driving.

Do you ride the bike with any slack on the clutch cable?....there should always be some slack on the cable at the lever end, as in a small bit of play before the clutch gets engaged.

As for stopping at lights, I too always stop and leave the bike in first gear with the back brake engaged for many reasons. But mostly if I see something coming and not stopping quick enough I have some chance to move outta the way.

And just been progressive also, ever stuck behind a cage fumbling for 1st when the lights go green having sat there for 4 mins in neutral!! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Kido Fazer 1

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    ever stuck behind a cage fumbling for 1st when the lights go green having sat there for 4 mins in neutral!! :rolleyes:
    Nope.

• Advertisement

Good lad all them years on the road paid off so.....and it was the cage fumbling for gears not the rider.

And just been progressive also, ever stuck behind a cage fumbling for 1st when the lights go green having sat there for 4 mins in neutral!! :rolleyes:

Cars slow off the lights are responsible for half the traffic problems in Dublin. Amount of light changes where about 10 cars should get through but about 4 get through cos of slow cars

Yeah, either that or they are flying through a red....or an amber gambler!

Yeah, either that or they are flying through a red....or an amber gambler!

Ehh...yeah...cars.
    I'd never do that ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Left foot on ground bike in neutral right foot on back brake right hand on front brake
    To go lift left foot quickly and engage first and off
    you should t have to put your right foot down

You can do the switcheroo as a way to get here but it's not nessiciary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Kido Fazer 1

Good lad all them years on the road paid off so.....and it was the cage fumbling for gears not the rider.
    They did indeed. I don't sit behind cars at traffic lights. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Left foot down, bike in neutral always when stopped at lightst. Its easy to spot someone who hasn't passed a test when you sit behind them at lights, and both feet on the ground..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Left foot down, bike in neutral always when stopped at lightst. Its easy to spot someone who hasn't passed a test when you sit behind them at lights, and both feet on the ground..

Seriously?.

Seriously?.

Yes. Pattle up to the line like a swan landing on ice.

That sounds like the most awkward way to do it. Left foot down only? So, when the lights change you have to pull in the front brake, right foot down, left foot up, click into gear and away you go.
    Yeah, everyone that passes their test does that! :D

• Advertisement

That sounds like the most awkward way to do it. Left foot down only? So, when the lights change you have to pull in the front brake, right foot down, left foot up, click into gear and away you go.

Watch how Gardai or Army motorcyclists do it. It's exactly that.

It helps if you know a few dance moves before you start :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Lol! I passed the test 10 years ago and put both feet down. Do what you need for the test but telling people you have to do it one way or the other is nonsense. If you are paying attention you won't be caught out by lights changing. Plus holding the clutch all day doesn't make sense, especially on uncomfortable sportsbikes

batman_oh wrote: »
    Lol! I passed the test 10 years ago and put both feet down. Do what you need for the test but telling people you have to do it one way or the other is nonsense. If you are paying attention you won't be caught out by lights changing. Plus holding the clutch all day doesn't make sense, especially on uncomfortable sportsbikes

Well done.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Well done.:rolleyes:

Way to be a smart ass! Your test theory is still nonsense

batman_oh wrote: »
    Way to be a smart ass! Your test theory is still nonsense

Is it? Are you willing to bet your licence on it?

Watch how Gardai or Army motorcyclists do it. It's exactly that.
    No they don't, they leave it in gear. Not a hope they'd do it the way you said!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Any instructors here willing to settle this?

It seems there are alot of people here who have developed bad habits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭eurofoxy

i passes my test by using left foot down but always going back to 1st before stopping completely,and when stopped keeping clutch in and back brake applied, so when it comes time to move off all i have to do is let go brake and release clutch witha bit of throttle.
    the above mentioned procedure for swopping legs etc, let see anyone do that bs on a hill with lights, no way in hell do gardai do that as their bikes will have rolled backwards by the time they get their foot up never mind swopped to the other side.

If i am on a long trip i will go to neutral and rest my hands so will use both feet on the ground, sometimes in traffic i will not use a brake when stationary and will use both feet on the ground.

someone should ask roadskill for his option on this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Left foot down, right foot covering back brake, while waiting with clutch lever pulled in and 1st gear engaged.
    The above is expected on any test.
    (I am a bike instructor)

Advertisement