Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Left foot Right foot!

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

eurofoxy wrote: »
    ..let see anyone do that bs on a hill with lights, no way in hell do gardai do that as their bikes will have rolled backwards by the time they get their foot up never mind swopped to the other side...

luckily the gardai bikes have front brakes too :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Watch how Gardai or Army motorcyclists do it. It's exactly that.

Its not, and I'm one of the above :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Kungfu

You put your right foot in
    You put your right foot out
    in out, in out
    And then you shake it all about.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Cienciano wrote: »
    No they don't, they leave it in gear. Not a hope they'd do it the way you said!

Well when I learnt to drive in the Cavalry Corps, that is how we were instructed. During my test, the instructor pulled alongside me and insisted I go into neutral while stopped, and cover the rear brake.

While I was in templemore, the instructors used to test the new riders by calling them over the radio when stopped and asking them to raise their left hand.

Your move.

Its not, and I'm one of the above :D

Which one are you?

• Advertisement

Which one are you?

DF.. Tbh I can't remember how we were instructed and I'm not an instructor.

I hate going too far off topic, but my usual stop is either right foot (or both) down and bike in neutral, a finger or two resting on the front brake. At take off its into first and off dragging the right leg through first and second unless I'm wheeling then I'm covering the rear brake :D

I think over time most people develope their own riding styles, and I honestly can't remember how I was tested ~ jeese it was back in 1985 :o

The method taught to learners seems really clumsy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Well when I learnt to drive in the Cavalry Corps, that is how we were instructed. During my test, the instructor pulled alongside me and insisted I go into neutral while stopped, and cover the rear brake.

While I was in templemore, the instructors used to test the new riders by calling them over the radio when stopped and asking them to raise their left hand.

Your move.

Well, first of all a driving instructor on here says you're wrong, secondly Makikomi who I think drove in the army disagrees with you, I had 2 different bike instructors from 2 different driving schools who both disagree with you, everyone said you keep it in gear. :D
    Think about it, it makes no sense to do it the way you said. Were you given a reason to do it that way? Were you to use the front brake at all, or when you put it into gear and you put down the right foot was the bike not under any brake?
    I prefer holding the front brake and have both feet on the ground, bike in gear. If it's a long light neutral, but always the front brake.

Well, first of all a driving instructor on here says you're wrong, secondly Makikomi who I think drove in the army disagrees with you, I had 2 different bike instructors from 2 different driving schools who both disagree with you, everyone said you keep it in gear. :D
    Think about it, it makes no sense to do it the way you said. Were you given a reason to do it that way? Were you to use the front brake at all, or when you put it into gear and you put down the right foot was the bike not under any brake?
    I prefer holding the front brake and have both feet on the ground, bike in gear. If it's a long light neutral, but always the front brake.

To be fair I'm not really disagreeing with anyone. Goldie may have been instructed like that in the DF and AGS, I just don't recall how I was instructed and I've developed my own riding style over the years.

But I do think the way beginners (civilian) are instructed now is a little clumsy, but thems da' ways.

Tbh I never sit in gear, doesn't feel right.

So you are calling me a liar basically. It makes every sense. Rear brake holds you in place. there is no reason to have your foot on the gear lever unless you are drag racing.

I never sit in gear if the light just went red or it's a light I know takes ages to change which is most lights. No brake either :eek:

• Advertisement

I also trained as a CBT instructor in the UK.

I also trained as a CBT instructor in the UK.

To think all this time you've been teaching people the wrong thing :D

To think all this time you've been teaching people the wrong thing :D

Me and every other CBT instructor in the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,391 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

So you are calling me a liar basically.

No, just taking issue with your very silly claim that everyone who has passed their test always does it the way you say. I don't, therefore you're wrong :)

Scrap the cap!

Left foot down, right foot covering back brake, while waiting with clutch lever pulled in and 1st gear engaged.
    The above is expected on any test.
    (I am a bike instructor)

Sure and that's the way I was taught to do it.
    I was also taught that what's required to pass the test isn't necessarily best practice - it's not even necessarily good practice (at least, not under all circumstances - nothing is always the right thing to do no matter what.)

E.g. I had to ride 18 inches from the kerb to pass my test, and ride as if I had no mirrors or indicators, both of these things made me less safe but were required for Mr. Clipboard in the car to tick the right boxes.

Scrap the cap!

ninja900 wrote: »
    No, just taking issue with your very silly claim that everyone who has passed their test always does it the way you say. I don't, therefore you're wrong :)

When I think about it, going back the years, I actually have to agree with you. Because up to recently, the motorcycle test in Ireland was an absolute joke. It's only since the tester actually started following the person being tested in means other than on foot that the standard has been raised.

So I take it you had the tester following you on foot so?

ninja900 wrote: »
    Sure and that's the way I was taught to do it.
    I was also taught that what's required to pass the test isn't necessarily best practice - it's not even necessarily good practice (at least, not under all circumstances - nothing is always the right thing to do no matter what.)

E.g. I had to ride 18 inches from the kerb to pass my test, and ride as if I had no mirrors or indicators, both of these things made me less safe but were required for Mr. Clipboard in the car to tick the right boxes.

If you drive a test using ROSPA advanced skills or similar, you'll fail, apparently.

Since we're off topic.. I think we I was tested the tester followed up around (as a pack) and if you didn't fall off you passed :D

was that on a sanglas or a triumph?

was that on a sanglas or a triumph?

Sanglas and Yamaha XS400.

When the Sanglas were gone we got the XS400 & XS500 ~ we always thought that XS stood for 'Extra Septic' although in fairness the XS500 wasn't a bad bike.

After those we got the Kawasaki GT550's which was a brilliant bike until someone in their wisdom (NOT) retired them and got the Suzuki Bandit 600..

The bandits are a scutterbox imo.

• Advertisement

Think all the bandits are boarded now. MPs using Green Deauviles, with lots of strobes,3m and scotchlite. New bikers are trained on a CBF 600 these days. Even has ABS!

GT550 was one of the best bikes ever built. Mind the camchain tensioner, and replace the carb diaphrams and it would go forever. Got my 154 on one.

Think all the bandits are boarded now. MPs using Green Deauviles, with lots of strobes,3m and scotchlite. New bikers are trained on a CBF 600 these days. Even has ABS!

GT550 was one of the best bikes ever built. Mind the camchain tensioner, and replace the carb diaphrams and it would go forever. Got my 154 on one.

I'm not sure the Cav ever got Bandits tbh, we never got the Deauvales but I've rode them lots of times I just never worked with them.

I think the only problems the GT's gave us was quick rot exhausts and rust inside the tanks otherwise they were a work horse for us.

I've done over twenty years as a glorified courier on all the above bikes (are you guessing my unit/job yet ;) ) and have to say the GT's were the best, I didn't work with the Sanglas and the worse by far was the XS400 followed very closely by the Bandit 600.

Not all the Bandits are boarded yet, but they should be.

No cav neither got, nor wanted the bandits. They were an abomination. Cav wanted off roaders, they would have been fine for every other job too. However the MPs went on a solo project cos they all wanted to be John and Ponch.

I thnk email etc has made your lot extinct.

I thnk email etc has made your lot extinct.

Now ya got it ;)

As a foot note (no pun intended) a friend once told me of a friend of his from over 20 years ago....He stopped at lights and was trying to put his right foot down but either his trousers or his boot got snagged on his bike and his foot didn't make it to the ground. He toppled over onto his right side...just as a car was making a right hand turn at the junction. The car drove right over his head as he lay on the road. Killed instantly.

From what i can recall from my test this is what i did and was not penalised for having bike in gear while sitting at the lights

I did the bike test. 3 times. On the first I was given 5 Xs for not cancelling my turn signals on time....despite the fact that just a few days earlier a friend of mine said the same to me and during the test all of my turn signals were cancelled well on good time. During my second test I was given 5 Xs for not being in the correct position entering a roundabout. In the first place both before and after that test I did exactly as you are told to do on the RSA ad as regards roundabouts. Secondly, there were only 3 roundabouts on the test and as we did a circuit to and from the test centre we didn't use any of those roundabouts more than once each. Where did the 5 Xs come from? I didn't bother to question as they say the tester doesn't have to answer and appeals are like complaints against the cops. At the start of my third test as I was demonstrating my turn signal lights to be working , one of them failed to work. I expected the tester to say I couldn't take the test. To my surprise he said that indicators are not legally required on a motorcycle?! I didn't say a word....but I knew then as I know now that what he said only applied to older bikes or to custom bikes that didn't have indicators within their design. That may be verified by reading Rules of the Road. Knowledgeable bunch these motorcycle driving testers. Not that any one of them was on a bike. They all conducted the tests whilst driving cars. And in one case the tester told me to leave the car park of the test centre and to keep going until he told me to stop. He said to turn left as I pulled out of the car park. I did so. Then an artic truck pulled out of the premises opposite the test centre and turned right, leaving the tester behind him. For some portion of the test the tester couldn't have seen me or my bike. Not sure if his name was Laurel or Hardy? At the statr of my second test I was asked how long I was waiting for a test. When I said over a year the guy said the wait wasn't that long since they (the crowd who took over doing the tests) took over. I repled that I made my test application after they took over. He wasn't too happy. :-)....Advice careful what you say to the f*$kers before and during the test....After the test and you get that pass cert from them...well then you can tell them what arseholes they are. :-D

So I take it you had the tester following you on foot so?

:)

Kungfu wrote: »
    To my surprise he said that indicators are not legally required on a motorcycle?! I didn't say a word....but I knew then as I know now that what he said only applied to older bikes or to custom bikes that didn't have indicators within their design.

He's right. A bike won't get type approval without indicators, but they're not obliged to be fitted in use (or mirrors or a stoplight.) P149 ROTR seeing as you suggested he should look it up :)

Scrap the cap!

Yeah. Checked it out already. Strange. Read somewhere before that it only applies to classics and custom builds. Not to sure where.

• Advertisement

Try holding your left foot on the back brake when stopped at lights today ;)

Advertisement