Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

streamers on rivers

Options
  • 28-08-2012 8:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭

This seems all the rage now on the boyne etc
    Anyone here have any experience of this type of fishing
    I believe you target the flats and fairly whip them back on a floater?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

""I believe you target the flats and fairly whip them back on a floater????""

Nope that's not how you fish them!!

Sinking line, tuck the top of the rod under the water and pulled them along the river bed...

be ready to loose allot of streamers! :P

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

I use a #6 fast sink shooting head, cast upstream, and strip back.

Been doing streamers for years, but prefer thicker outline flies, that resemble small plugs.

It's amazing how small a trout will be willing to "have a go". :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

I have used them a bit and have had a lot of trout on them but only one over 2lbs. That one was while putting in a few upstream mends trying to get the streamer fishing deeper in a deep pool. As soon as I started to strip line fish was already on so he took it dead drift. Thought I had discovered a new (to me) tactic but it's never worked since.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

Yes
    Was chatting to a guy that fishes for Ulster and he does the same allthough he finds a floater better in the shallows

It seems to entice the bigger fish?

coolwings wrote: »
    I use a #6 fast sink shooting head, cast upstream, and strip back.

Been doing streamers for years, but prefer thicker outline flies, that resemble small plugs.

It's amazing how small a trout will be willing to "have a go". :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

A few years ago I heard a few people talking about a new and not so popular method in Ireland called 'Streamers' and I was intrigued.

Okay after looking into it a bit it seems to me that these days the term 'Streamer' seems to be a generic term used to apply to flies that mimic bait fish or small fish prey, or even things like small crayfish, leeches etc.

Somebody can correct me if I am wrong but I thought that the term 'streamer' originally referred to particular style of a large fly tied with full feather wing or pair of 'wings'. The wings (not being insect wings) being tied full and long to represent the flanks of a fish.

But these days streamer seems to refer to all sorts of fly type lures that mimic small bait fish and sure that’s fine. Lures like zonker, minky, and marabou flies, leeches etc all seem to fall into the streamer category now.

So there is nothing new about it, lures have been fished for years. Whatever you prefer to call them, be it streamers or lures they are a good method.
    I use a sinking line D3-D5. Good robust leader and one lure. Rarely use a floating line except in shallow water. Basically it’s the fly fisherman's version of spinning although many do not like to face up to that. But that’s a whole different story ;).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Pedalstool

A few years ago I heard a few people talking about a new and not so popular method in Ireland called 'Streamers' and I was intrigued.

Okay after looking into it a bit it seems to me that these days the term 'Streamer' seems to be a generic term used to apply to flies that mimic bait fish or small fish prey, or even things like small crayfish, leeches etc.

Somebody can correct me if I am wrong but I thought that the term 'streamer' originally referred to particular style of a large fly tied with full feather wing or pair of 'wings'. The wings (not being insect wings) being tied full and long to represent the flanks of a fish.

But these days streamer seems to refer to all sorts of fly type lures that mimic small bait fish and sure that’s fine. Lures like zonker, minky, and marabou flies, leeches etc all seem to fall into the streamer category now.

So there is nothing new about it, lures have been fished for years. Whatever you prefer to call them, be it streamers or lures they are a good method.
    I use a sinking line D3-D5. Good robust leader and one lure. Rarely use a floating line except in shallow water. Basically it’s the fly fisherman's version of spinning although many do not like to face up to that. But that’s a whole different story ;).

When I read into it, that's what I immediately thought, though I wouldn't have the temerity to say it. Heck, one old chap I fish with regards anything other than dry fly fishing as vulgar.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭MacraPat

I was gonna hit the river this afternoon myself for a few hours with a few Zonkers, Muddlers and dog knobblers. Gonna try fish them deep on a downstream and across swing.

Any thoughts??

Advertisement