Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So Smoking weed makes you dumb !!!

• 28-08-2012 8:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭

So after a 20 year research project , researchers have found that smoking dope while growing up can lessen your IQ.

I don't smoke , I have tried it ( didn't like it TBH )

What do people think ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19372456

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

It turns people into cabbages, I am a living example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

Hopefully this will put an end to the "Legalize Cannabis" nuts!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

If you abused any substance during your teens it is going to have a serious effect on you in later life, be it smoking, getting high or drinking. You shouldn't be smoking weed while your brain is still putting itself together, being a teenager can be hard enough without that to contend with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

Davidth88 wrote: »
    So after a 20 year research project , researchers have found that smoking dope while growing up can lessen your IQ.

What do people think ?

Eh , does cannabis smoking make you dumb?
    Luke Ming Flannagan is the living proof that it does!
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

SocSocPol wrote: »

Even the legalise group will agree it shouldn't be available to minors. Drug dealers don't ask for ID though.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

SocSocPol wrote: »
    I don't think anyone wants to legalize cannabis for children.
    "It is such a special study that I'm fairly confident that cannabis is safe for over-18 brains, but risky for under-18 brains."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LostCorkGuy

Meh *

*Also makes you indifferent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

I don't smoke it myself but from what I understand, it was people who were "addicted" to it. Given that I do think it's addictive to a point but not as bad as addiction to something like alcohol or heroin, I don't really think it makes people dumb.

Wouldn't it be like saying "anyone who's addicted to drinking has liver problems but not everyone drinks so much that they have liver problems"?

Not to mention this doozy:
    It is such a special study that I'm fairly confident that cannabis is safe for over-18 brains, but risky for under-18 brains.

It seems like it's basically "bad for kids". Another sort of obvious thing, really.

Plus this here:
    It is of course part of folk-lore among young people that some heavy users of cannabis - my daughter callers them stoners - seem to gradually lose their abilities and end up achieving much less than one would have anticipated. This study provides one explanation as to why this might be the case.

It really does seem like they understand it as "kids smoked it, damaged themselves for smoking it so long so it's bad for kids".

• Registered Users Posts: 32 thepieman12345

What do people think ?

This may be true but what about the other studies that concluded that while the fact the iq can be lowered by smoking weed but then can return to normal after giving up? This study has no mention of that, well at least not in the article. It just says the iq of those participating was lower later on, but it doesnt say if they had given up or were still smoking. I found another article about this study saying that after stopping not all of the lost iq was regained. But we cant know how much was permenantly lost. We also cant forget the argument, is iq really a good indication of intelligence?

And this article here i was talking about also said those who started later but quit a year before the test recovered, so simple solution, under 18s shouldnt smoke weed, just like they shouldnt drink.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/9426205/Cannabis-smoking-permanently-lowers-IQ.html

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭maddragon

I love lamp

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Augmerson wrote: »
    If you abused any substance during your teens it is going to have a serious effect on you in later life, be it smoking, getting high or drinking. You shouldn't be smoking weed while your brain is still putting itself together, being a teenager can be hard enough without that to contend with.
    This.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Unfair thread!

The 'cool' gang won't be up until 2pm to defend themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Hey eh...... has anybody heard that eh....... smoking weed can.......

..........oh look, a squirrel!

I am starving!

It just says the iq of those participating was lower later on, but it doesnt say if they had given up or were still smoking. I found another article about this study saying that after stopping not all of the lost iq was regained. But we cant know how much was permenantly lost.

I read that also. But I think (I could be wrong) that the article we both read (or I assume so, anyway) said that it wasn't recoverable.

But even then, isn't it like you or I drinking from when we're kids and then continuing to use it heavily and having our brains wrecked.
    It's kinda common sense what poison does.

I don't really understand what the point of the study was other than "hey, poison things can ruin people". We already know that from parents who did drugs when pregnant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

Is this really news to anybody?

The dumbest or to be nicer about it, the slowest, people I know smoke weed constantly.

The dumbest or to be nicer about it, the slowest, people I know smoke weed constantly.

Well that's the funny thing. I mean when you think about it, the core points were: they smoked it when they were kids, some have smoked it weekly since they've been kids and now it's caused brain issues.

I think everyone can safely say "I know that".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I would have hoped we wouldn't need a study like this to reminds of the dangers of drug use.

But then judging by the amount of people I've heard denying or trying to play down the affect that cannabis and other drugs can have perhaps we need more studies like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Is the OP a headline writer for a tabloid newspaper?

I know plenty of dumb people (calling them dumb is a disservice to people of below average intelligence, these are pig ignorant stupid) who've never smoked and probably would never smoke. Tbh it might brighten them up or at least get me a laugh out of them if they did, the ****ing clowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭conorhal

This may be true but what about the other studies that concluded that while the fact the iq can be lowered by smoking weed but then can return to normal after giving up? This study has no mention of that, well at least not in the article. It just says the iq of those participating was lower later on, but it doesnt say if they had given up or were still smoking. I found another article about this study saying that after stopping not all of the lost iq was regained. But we cant know how much was permenantly lost. We also cant forget the argument, is iq really a good indication of intelligence?

And this article here i was talking about also said those who started later but quit a year before the test recovered, so simple solution, under 18s shouldnt smoke weed, just like they shouldnt drink.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/9426205/Cannabis-smoking-permanently-lowers-IQ.html

It's long been known that cannabis can cause permanent and irreversible damage to cognitive learning ability in the developing brain, this is just the first human study I've heard of.
    Cannabis given to adolescent mice has shown a drastic reduction in their ability to problem solve the classic 'find the cheese in a maze' routine.

When cannabis was withdrawn, adult mice quickly regained their ability to problem solve a maze, adolescent mice exposed to cannabis however, even when whey had grown to adulthood couldn't do it.
    Basically, never mess with your developing brain, not with alcohol and not with drugs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

Augmerson wrote:
    I know plenty of dumb people (calling them dumb is a disservice to people of below average intelligence, these are pig ignorant stupid) who've never smoked and probably would never smoke. Tbh it might brighten them up or at least get me a laugh out of them if they did, the ****ing clowns.

Ah I know there are plenty like that. I'm just using the people I know as examples.

P.s The anger in your post made me smile. Don't know why :)

Ah I know there are plenty like that. I'm just using the people I know as examples.

P.s The anger in your post made me smile. Don't know why :)

I don't know if it was anger really, more like exasperation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Augmerson wrote: »
    I don't know if it was anger really, more like exasperation.
    If I know these threads, that's a feeling that you're going to get rather accustomed to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,605 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

"There's a time and a place for everything, and that place is college"
    (Chef)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

conorhal wrote: »
    Cannabis given to adolescent mice has shown a drastic reduction in their ability to problem solve the classic 'find the cheese in a maze' routine.
    After a smoke I could find cheese hidden anywhere within a 5 mile radius, your argument is therefore invalid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Havong never smoked an amazing amount of it myself I dont think its affected me at all.
    It was never really my think. Id be more into mdma if I was looking to enjoy myself.

However of the people I know who smoke it every week they tend to be fine. They dont seem to be affected and I know a 50 odd year old who has been regulary smoking it for 20+ years and he is still very intelligent. I can only assume though he also smoked as a teenager.

I think a lot has to do on the individual. If you dont exercise your brain it will get weak. Weed or no weed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Hey eh...... has anybody heard that eh....... smoking weed can.......

....cause cancer or something?

That's deep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

so this study has showen taken drugs as a teen is bad for you.
    How did they get funding?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Jester252 wrote: »
    so this study has showen taken drugs as a teen is bad for you.
    How did they get funding?

It was funded by McVities, who also supplied refreshments.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Depending on what research you read, it can also improve lung capacity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Havong never smoked an amazing amount of it myself I dont think its affected me at all.
    It was never really my think. Id be more into mdma if I was looking to enjoy myself.

However of the people I know who smoke it every week they tend to be fine. They dont seem to be affected and I know a 50 odd year old who has been regulary smoking it for 20+ years and he is still very intelligent. I can only assume though he also smoked as a teenager.

I think a lot has to do on the individual. If you dont exercise your brain it will get weak. Weed or no weed.
    Being in the "middle aged" bracket myself with over 20 edit* nearly 30 years smoking behind me and also having friends older than myself who still smoke and knowing people who are now in their 60's and even 70's who still smoke (they were the ones in their 30's I knew who smoked and dealt the stuff when I was in my teens), I totally agree with you, we are not slower or dumber than any random sample of people you could take out of the general population, those that do have issues are the ones that over-did it on "other stuff".
    One thing though the average weed or hash you got 20-30 years ago wasn't as strong as what is widely available now (yippie \o/) and smoking the strong stuff at a young age before the full physical maturity of the brain has to have an adverse effect, strong weed isn't a toy for kiddies to play with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Plumpynutt

I smoke weed everyday, but I only took it up when I was nearing the age of 20. In fact all my drug use started around then. It's a no brainer that drugs and alcohol will do damage to a developing mind tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Quorum

Well that's the funny thing. I mean when you think about it, the core points were: they smoked it when they were kids, some have smoked it weekly since they've been kids and now it's caused brain issues.

I think everyone can safely say "I know that".

True, but sometimes concrete evidence is needed for the things we all know.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Dub Ste

smoking weed made me dumb,that's unpossible.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

conorhal wrote: »

Of course not. But if it was Doritos, they'd get them faster :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

No one will says that taking cannabis while under the age of 18 should be aloud. Everyone agrees with that. The study itself even says
    It is such a special study that I'm fairly confident that cannabis is safe for over-18 brains, but risky for under-18 brains.
    The 'link' between the frount part of the brain (cant remember name. going from memory here) and some other part of the brain isn't fully devleoped till early 20's. Any drugs will have an impact on the development of this link.

I am all for legilisation of cannabis (as is the report shown by the quote above) for over 18's, or even over 21's. Anyone under that age shouldn't be smoking.
    I wonder how we could take it out of there hands :rolleyes:

Also i dont agree that an IQ test is the fairest way to test intellegance. yes it should be done in studys like this but as one part of many types of intellegances tests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

The 'link' between the frount part of the brain (cant remember name. going from memory here) and some other part of the brain isn't fully devleoped till early 20's. Any drugs will have an impact on the development of this link.

Slow down there, professor.

Kurz wrote: »
    Slow down there, professor.

Yea. Sorry. I read something about it ages ago and cant find it now. They were big scientific names :p

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Bonita810

I wouldn't agree it makes you dumb...or maybe just a little;p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

They don't call it dope for no reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭spankysue

The people in the study could've been dumb to begin with.....

They don't call it dope for no reason.

In fairness there is 100's of slang names for cannabis :p

Cheack out post number 2 in this tread. If half of them turn out to be accurate...

And that isn't including what groups of friends may call it. I have a friend who when he first came across it asked was it broccoli that they taking (jokeing of course). From then on anything that this does come up it is refered to as broccoli by that group of friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

In fairness there is 100's of slang names for cannabis :p

Cheack out post number 2 in this tread. If half of them turn out to be accurate...

And that isn't including what groups of friends may call it. I have a friend who when he first came across it asked was it broccoli that they taking (jokeing of course). From then on anything that this does come up it is refered to as broccoli by that group of friends.

Ah yeah. It's like anything, abuse it and it will abuse you. I never had a J in my gob until I was 21 and even at that I was never one to smoke if I needed to do anything. It was normally a late night activity for me. Don't know how some of my mates functioned during the day while smoking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Eileen Down

I think half the problem is the amount of hash/weed people pack into a spliff. It's fine if you're sharing with a couple of friends but to smoke a fat amount on your own, you're bound to get your head wrecked.
    I have a toke from a pipe every now and then and the amount I would have burned in one spliff when I was in my twenties would now last me a month.
    *pats myself on the back

I don't understand why RTE and the other Irish news outlets seem to periodically run stories that present recent studies that have made negative findings about Cannabis. If you keep an eye on international news, there are as many studies presenting positive findings.

This study was written about just a few days ago and the research was carried out in Aberdeen in Scotland, much closer to home. It presents the results of a recent study that found Cannabis as having useful properties in the treatment of multiple sclerosis and arthritis.

There seems to be a very anti-Cannabis bias in the Irish media for some reason or other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Let me pull a few billies and have a think about this report.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

I would have hoped we wouldn't need a study like this to reminds of the dangers of drug use.

But then judging by the amount of people I've heard denying or trying to play down the affect that cannabis and other drugs can have perhaps we need more studies like this.

I'd prefer to do the studies myself, rather than rely on what you claim to know which is based on nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Kurz wrote: »
    I don't understand why RTE and the other Irish news outlets seem to periodically run stories that present recent studies that have made negative findings about Cannabis. If you keep an eye on international news, there are as many studies presenting positive findings.

This study was written about just a few days ago and the research was carried out in Aberdeen in Scotland, much closer to home. It presents the results of a recent study that found Cannabis as having useful properties in the treatment of multiple sclerosis and arthritis.

There seems to be a very anti-Cannabis bias in the Irish media for some reason or other.

errr actually the story posted on the OP was on the BBC, and this is being carried by all the British Newspapers too.

No one is denying that people under the age of 18(ish) brains arn't fully developed and taking drugs if your brain is under developed will have negative effects. No one thinks that these young people should be taking any drugs.

However this report does say that there is no evidance to suggest that people over the age of 18(ish) taking cannabis will have negative effects.
    "It is such a special study that I'm fairly confident that cannabis is safe for over-18 brains, but risky for under-18 brains."

errr actually the story posted on the OP was on the BBC, and this is being carried by all the British Newspapers too.

I posted after seeing it on the RTE lunchtime news. Maybe the same applies to the British media, it doesn't make any difference to the observation made about the Irish media.

• Advertisement
Advertisement