Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So Smoking weed makes you dumb !!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,193 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

SocSocPol wrote: »
    Hopefully this will put an end to the "Legalize Cannabis" nuts!
    er....the same findings were found with alcohol...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

The 'link' between the frount part of the brain (cant remember name. going from memory here)
    Cannabis addled memory ???? :P
    The frontal cortex - you were close.

In fairness there is 100's of slang names for cannabis :p

Cheack out post number 2 in this tread. If half of them turn out to be accurate...

Ah dude can you not sucker us into clicking onto links in druggie websites there please ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Lest we forget that most IQ tests fail to account for emotional intelligence, creative intelligence and so on. I believe that if you're inclined to such intelligences and capabilities, smoking may be of some constructive use.

That said, I agree that smoking during adolescence seems particularly risky given what's known about adolescent brain development etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

this gives more of reason for it to be legalized so it can be regulated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

Cannabis addled memory ???? :P
    The frontal cortex - you were close.
    Hahaha no. For the amount that i seem to post on this issue i have only ever taken cannabis a two or three times. And that was over a year period
    But yes that was what i was trying to say. Frontal cortex. Thanks :)

Ah dude can you not sucker us into clicking onto links in druggie websites there please ?
    oops. Sorry. TBH i just googled 'how many names is there for cannabis' And that was one of first hits so clicked that. Ooops. sorry people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Roger Sterling

It took 20 years of research for them to realise children shouldn't be smoking joints. Jaysus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I've always had a lower opinion of people who use any illegal drugs to get 'high'. Weak willed people who use drugs to compensate for their lack of ability to have fun naturally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Awaits joints with Pegi 18 written on the sides for use when playing GTA 5.
    I've always had a lower opinion of people who use any illegal drugs to get 'high'. Weak willed people who use drugs to compensate for their lack of ability to have fun naturally.

Damn those natural occurring cannabis receptors in my brain.
    I guess it all started when I spun around to get dizzy as a child....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

So ridiculous i'm tempted to ask whether you smoked heavily between the ages of 7 and 10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

And what about the people who use legal ones?
    Or the people who go to places where it is legal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Lest we forget that most IQ tests fail to account for emotional intelligence, creative intelligence and so on. I believe that if you're inclined to such intelligences and capabilities, smoking may be of some constructive use.
    Creative intelligence is actually covered by IQ tests - it's part of problem solving. Unless you mean creative intelligence as defined by transcendental meditation.

If cannabis negatively affects cerebral development, it can equally, if not more so, be argued that it would similarly affect the development of our emotional intelligence. Indeed, in the case of emotional development, cannabis appears to have a negative effect.

Even if it did have positive effects, that does not mean that it's positive on balance. After all, if you read up medical handbooks from a century ago, smoking a cigarette was commonly prescribed to pregnant women who suffered from constipation. That is a positive effect of smoking, but it hardly makes up for the negative.

I'm not too sure why there's a big discussion on this. It's geared twoards the effect on child development and you'll see similar studies associated with other drugs, most notably alcohol. Once in adulthood it makes no such claims.

The whole thing is a no brainer, TBH. Pre-adult minds in development can be adversely affected by drugs, diet and environment - like we needed this report to tell us that.

And what about the people who use legal ones?
    Or the people who go to places where it is legal?

Getting fun through illegal drugs is weak-willed. Getting fun through legal drugs is fine though. Adverse health effects are not there with legal drugs because they are legal.

Some people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Nothing that alchohol doesn't do on a regular basis.

Getting fun through illegal drugs is weak-willed. Getting fun through legal drugs is fine though.

If anything it shows a stronger will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Getting fun through illegal drugs is weak-willed. Getting fun through legal drugs is fine though. Adverse health effects are not there with legal drugs because they are legal.

Some people

I suppose. I was (for a long time) like that. I still don't like people who have the usual thing of "get stoned/get hammered at home" kinda thing. Though I mean literally abusing it rather than getting a bit stoned or getting a bit drunk. (assuming it makes sense)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Anybody else have an urge for a smoke and a pint?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Depending on which whether you booze first or smoke first the results can be quite different. Strunk vs droned :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Fortunately the good news is that you can't get lung cancer from smoking weed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Hey eh...... has anybody heard that eh....... smoking weed can.......

like make you.....stupid?

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Tarkus

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

Some people

Wow...

I really dont get your argument. You are saying that taking a natural herb is compensating for haveing fun naturally :confused:

And for alot of people it isn't about having 'fun' as such. It is more about relaxing after a hard days work or relaxing with friends. To me the stertypical image of 'fun' brings up images of druken people.

Just found this :rolleyes: :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Brace Yourself, the Legalize Debate is coming...

• Registered Users Posts: 37 donegal100

Smoking hash makes you stupid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Africa wrote: »
    I'll take the fact that I indulged daily from age of about 16 till 24 (and still do), still got 525 points in the LC, about to start my thesis of my second degree in Trinity (evening class) after being top of the class last 3 years running, while still maintaining a full time managerial position in a respectable gaming company.

lazy/stupid people = lazy/stupid people.

My brain hasnt rotted. Waste of money on this 'research'.

You'd probably only get 520 points in the leaving cert if you tried it now though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Watching Hollyoaks makes you stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

complete twaddle my good buddy - but you stick with that premise if it makes you feel superior ..eh i mean happy

if you choose to ignore that some of the most creative and interesting people who lived were " drug losers " - that's your business , but to make the above statement is simply stupid, and shows a lack of ability to understand the actual point - you DONT need drugs to have fun , we all know this , but some have WAY MORE fun with them - your assuming all drug users either have a problem or are making up for something that is missing.

but in reality, as far as i can see from my life experience, the VAST MAJORITY of recreational drug users i know or have met are balanced normal people

but you could also be trolling, and really - that would make more sense of your statement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Creative intelligence is actually covered by IQ tests - it's part of problem solving. Unless you mean creative intelligence as defined by transcendental meditation.

Precisely why I take issue with IQ tests. They're based on specific notions of intelligence. Is there a sound correlation between problem solving and say, compositional abilities in respect of literature or music?

donegal100 wrote: »
    Smoking hash makes you stupid

no it does not - being stupid makes you stupid
    hash just compounds the issue

so by your logic if a stupid hash smoker stopped he could become a rocket scientist ? - no, he wont, because he was stupid to begin with.

he/she would just become a less hungry and slightly more energetic stupid person

has no one actually read the article ???

stupid - stupid - stupid

Wow...

Wow

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

I didn't need any scientific research to know this. Dope heads are exactly that.

Yeah man but its cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Africa wrote: »
    I'll take the fact that I indulged daily from age of about 16 till 24 (and still do), still got 525 points in the LC, about to start my thesis of my second degree in Trinity (evening class) after being top of the class last 3 years running, while still maintaining a full time managerial position in a respectable gaming company.

lazy/stupid people = lazy/stupid people.

My brain hasnt rotted. Waste of money on this 'research'.

You clearly haven't read up on why anecdotal evidence is meaningless in all your myriad studies :rolleyes:

You clearly haven't read up on why anecdotal evidence is meaningless in all your myriad studies :rolleyes:

Until i see a report that gives detailed account into how it was conducted and the circimstances surrounding the volenteers and how volenteers were selected, i would like to hear peoples experiences...

There isn't that much to go on in that link except for some reporter's view on the study. Anyone know where you can view the report itself?

Ah yeah. It's like anything, abuse it and it will abuse you. I never had a J in my gob until I was 21 and even at that I was never one to smoke if I needed to do anything. It was normally a late night activity for me. Don't know how some of my mates functioned during the day while smoking.

Yeah I don't understand how people can have some and do stuff. One person I know is like a methhead with it in one way, will smoke a load to give them motivation to clean the house. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I seem to have offended many of the drug users who support criminal gangs and terrorists by buying their drugs. Oh dear. My bad. And yes, I'm aware many grow their own, but most just buy.

I'd bet that in the majority of cases, people who use illegal drugs first did so due to peer pressure from their friends. They didn't have the will to resist that pressure.

Look, I don't have anything against those who use illegal drugs so long as it doesn't affect me. But I'm not going to have the same opinion of them as I do of others who have the will to resist the social pressure/temptation to use drugs. Perhaps I should have phrased is as "I have more respect for those that choose not to use illegal drugs".

I'd bet that in the majority of cases, people who use illegal drugs first did so due to peer pressure from their friends. They didn't have the will to resist that pressure.

No-one I know started smoking, drinking or anything else for a reason other than wanting to. I wasn't offered a cigarette or a drink or anything else, I had to ask. Sure even by the time we were in 6th year when someone started smoking we'd give out to them.

I seem to have offended many of the drug users who support criminal gangs and terrorists by buying their drugs. Oh dear. My bad. And yes, I'm aware many grow their own, but most just buy.

Look, I don't have anything against those who use illegal drugs so long as it doesn't affect me. But I'm not going to have the same opinion of them as I do of others who have the will to resist the social pressure/temptation to use drugs. Perhaps I should have phrased is as "I have more respect for those that choose not to use illegal drugs".

1: recreational drug users are FORCED if they chose to use drugs to get them off terrorists and drug lords - easy solution - legalize them

2: no , most people i know who use , first started because it was a good laugh - simple as that

3: no problem with that statement - but dont you think that it is life limiting for you ? as i have said some of the straightest most honest people i know use drugs - some if not all of the biggest assh0les i know dont , proof drugs make ya cool ?? no , but in my experience drinkers tend to be the biggest wank3rs

either you have little exposure to recreational drug users or have had your opinion formed by media -

i find asshol3s are asshol3s no matter what they chose to ingest , i would never look down on a sound person just because they like a spliff in the evening

I seem to have offended many of the drug users who support criminal gangs and terrorists by buying their drugs.
    Very few (if any) support criminal gangs and terrorists. :confused: If people could buy cannabis in a shop they would or if people could legaly grow then alot more would. The laws are outdated and misguided. No one want to support any gangs or 'terrorists'
    And yes, I'm aware many grow their own, but most just buy.
    +1
    dont deny that

Have only used cannabis 2-3 times since i first took it over a year ago so i am not 'addicted' or anything like that. Just interested in the dabate.
    But anyway.. I first came across it among friends. That is true. And yes i was offered it. However no one pushed anything on me and i politly refused to take it. The friend who offered it to me just said never to let anyone push anything on you becouse if you do it will lead to bad experiences. He said something along the line of the 3xS. self surrounding and substance. Make sure that if you ever do decide to do it it is something that you want to do and you are in the right place mentaly, surrounded by people you know and trust and that you know what you are taking and where it came from. He also warned me against peer pressure.
    I refused point blank.

However after that i did do alot of research and decide that i was musigided in my prevouse opinion of cannabis and that is something that i wanted to try. I have done it twice since. It is not something that i do often. Cuple of times a year.

Some that do take cannabis do so becouse of peer pressure and the people who are putting the pressure on them are dick heads imo. Nothing should ever be pusshed on anyone.

So you are saying that you are not tollerant of other peoples opinions and beliefs and you dont believe that other people should be aloud to act on opinions and beliefs that differ from yours and if they do you think less of them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Is it just illegal drugs or drugs in general, because if it's just illegal drugs then if you travel you must get very confused about who to respect or not.
    No issue with a dope smoker in Peru but none for the same person in The UK, and no respect for a drinker in Saudi but once in France no prob, is that your attitude?
    Is it because people have to break the law to do something humans have been doing for millennia, something that will never be stopped by the fleeting wishes of mere transient governments.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Channel Zero

There isn't that much to go on in that link except for some reporter's view on the study. Anyone know where you can view the report itself?

http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2012/08/22/1206820109

That's just the abstract. You need to purchase the full pdf.

Not aimed at you crazy cabbage, but anyone that says cannabis is harmless either doesn't have a clue what they're talking about or is telling porkies.:)

I'm not personally against anyone smoking their brains out if that's what they enjoy, just so long as they don't trot the "ah sure it's totally harmless" rubbish to make themselves feel better.

The report is not surprising really considering it comes on the back of reams of other research like these:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/11/101116104202.htm
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/08/090803123240.htm
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/08/090805110741.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

conorhal wrote: »
    It's long been known that cannabis can cause permanent and irreversible damage to cognitive learning ability in the developing brain, this is just the first human study I've heard of.
    Cannabis given to adolescent mice has shown a drastic reduction in their ability to problem solve the classic 'find the cheese in a maze' routine.

When cannabis was withdrawn, adult mice quickly regained their ability to problem solve a maze, adolescent mice exposed to cannabis however, even when whey had grown to adulthood couldn't do it.
    Basically, never mess with your developing brain, not with alcohol and not with drugs.

Cheese weed does that to you.

Not aimed at you crazy cabbage, but anyone that says cannabis is harmless either doesn't have a clue what they're talking about or is telling porkies.:)

I dont think anyone really thinks that it is 100% harmless but in the same breath i would also point to potential benifits and that the fact the way most take it is harmfull. You can use it as a herb while cooking and eat it and you can vapporise it (heat it to 200ish degrees when it will naturaly release THC and CBN which are the two main physoactive ingerents in it and you get none of the carcinogens)

All reports that i have seen so far seem to use smoked cannabis to demenstrate whatever it is the report is trying to find. i would like to see reports done that only use vaporised THC and CBN or used as a herb while cooking. See how they differ from the smoked research which everyone seems obbsesed about.

I dont think anyone really thinks that it is 100% harmless

Oh i very much doubt that.
    ...cooking and eat it and you can vapporise it..

Still harmful.
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/08/090803123240.htm
    i would like to see reports done that only use vaporised THC and CBN or used as a herb while cooking. See how they differ from the smoked research which everyone seems obbsesed about.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/05/070515151145.htm

Healthier? Yes. Harmless? Nope.

Oh i very much doubt that.
    Prehaps you are right, but again the positives outweigh negatives for some people
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/05/120514122607.htm

It doesn't say how it was administered or that it was vaporised or cooked with something else but i see your point. Still could be benifical to alot of people even if there is a very slight downside
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/09/110921120037.htm
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/10/111006125418.htm

I agree. I think we could be both bathing for the same side here :o

I think we could be both bathing for the same side here :o
    Isn't that cute, cabbage & zero I hope you both have your own rubber duckies, we don't want any squabbles now.

• Advertisement

I think we could be both bathing for the same side here :o

Indeed cc indeed...

http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/7880/homerbushes.gif

;)

Isn't that cute, cabbage & zero I hope you both have your own rubber duckies, we don't want any squabbles now.

I can hardly blame this on a typo can i :o

I can hardly blame this on a typo can i :o
    :D

Blame the weed.
    Though I'm trying to find an article I read a few years ago about how too much can cause people to show their innermost desires in subconscious actions. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Persistent cannabis use causes lower IQ and impaired memory. They're forgetting that persistent tobacco use causes lung cancer and death.

Perhaps I should have phrased is as "I have more respect for those that choose not to use illegal drugs".

Legal ........ illegal.............. what you like and think is right, someone else may think is wrong.
    It comes to us all............... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=60178723

so long as it doesn't affect me.

Yep, just so long as it does not affect me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement