Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So Smoking weed makes you dumb !!!

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 136 ✭✭barry711

It makes so little difference over all really. Weed has been here for years and by the looks of things is not going anywhere anytime soon. Teenagers and adults alike will continue to smoke it regardless of the long term effects or research done on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

SocSocPol wrote: »
    Hopefully this will put an end to the "Legalize Cannabis" nuts!

Doubt it. If scientific studies really had any weight then tobacco and alcohol would be illegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Persistent cannabis use causes lower IQ and impaired memory. They're forgetting that persistent tobacco use causes lung cancer and death.

I don't imagine tobacco gas has any favourable effects on the developing brain either. Nicotine is an amazing drug, very addictive and it effects several parts of the brain. It feeds other neurosis and other addictions, I first seen this vid here on AHs and as an x smoker I know this is true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Cannabis is harmful when its misused, under 18s shouldnt be using it.

However, years of having it illegal have achieved absolutely nothing in terms of reducing the demand or the consumption. Its time to turn it into a health issue instead of simply saying "Its bad" and burying our heads in the sand.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭petiha

did it for about a week nonstop, and then felt like I had no memory. :/ I forgot everything and it was not right :( however its all good if you don't abuse it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

Colmustard wrote: »
    I don't imagine tobacco gas has any favourable effects on the developing brain either. Nicotine is an amazing drug, very addictive and it effects several parts of the brain. It feeds other neurosis and other addictions, I first seen this vid here on AHs and as an x smoker I know this is true.

Nicotine isn't actully that addictive. They add a certain suger (along with other things) to the Nicotine when they are making it and it is this sugar that people are addicted to. This is why them Nicotine patches and electronic cigs are useless by and large.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Nicotine isn't actully that addictive. They add a certain suger (along with other things) to the Nicotine when they are making it and it is this sugar that people are addicted to. This is why them Nicotine patches and electronic cigs are useless by and large.
    Nicotine is addictive, it acts on the brains reward pathways by increasing the dopamine levels, resulting in long term use changing the actual make up of the brain.
    Nicotine patches help with the pharmacological aspects of withdrawal caused by this exposure, but don't help with the habit aspect.
    I have smoked tobacco leaf grown, dried and cured privately, and (apart from being lovely) it fulfils the physical craving for nicotine I've developed after 30 years of smoking.

There are however other chemicals in tobacco smoke, not added to the tobacco, but inherent to the actual leaf itself that also help with regulating dopamine levels and influence the effects of nicotine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

You are talking complete rubbish. The electronic cigarettes work amazingly well. Nicotine patches not so well because they don't replicate the physical habit of taking a drag.

Nicotine is most definitely addictive.

Electronic cigarettes maybe even work TOO well - since you can keep "smoking" without the health downside :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

srsly78 wrote: »
    You are talking complete rubbish. The electronic cigarettes work amazingly well. Nicotine patches not so well because they don't replicate the physical habit of taking a drag.

Nicotine is most definitely addictive.

Electronic cigarettes maybe even work TOO well - since you can keep "smoking" without the health downside :D
    Nicotine is addictive, it acts on the brains reward pathways by increasing the dopamine levels, resulting in long term use changing the actual make up of the brain.
    Nicotine patches help with the pharmacological aspects of withdrawal caused by this exposure, but don't help with the habit aspect.
    I have smoked tobacco leaf grown, dried and cured privately, and (apart from being lovely) it fulfils the physical craving for nicotine I've developed after 30 years of smoking.

There are however other chemicals in tobacco smoke, not added to the tobacco, but inherent to the actual leaf itself that also help with regulating dopamine levels and influence the effects of nicotine.

I am not saying that incotine isn't addictive. I know that it is and most people presume that they are addicted to the nicotine. However sugars are added at the very least to give a better tast which according to some reports increas the uptake of smoking amoung the young. It also improves the tast. Raw tobaccoo isn't nice at all.
    However there are some reports out there that suggest that the sugars that are added can be addictive (and sugar can be just as addictive as tobaccoo even when not in cigs).

Linky
    [FONT=Times, Times New Roman]'A problem here is that burned and inhaled sugar is an addictive substance, which is a factor in why Nicoderm and Nicorette are unsuccessful in helping people quit: there is no sugar withdrawal program.[/FONT]'

Linky
    Perhaps the high content of sugar in cigarettes causes a concurrent addiction. It is widely known that sugar is highly addictive, therefore when one tries to quit smoking they may be craving not only nicotine, but sugar! And then they find the sugar fix in sugar-laden foods…perhaps explaining why some individuals overeat and gain weight with smoking cessation…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

I am not saying that incotine isn't addictive. I know that it is and most people presume that they are addicted to the nicotine. However sugars are added at the very least to give a better tast which according to some reports increas the uptake of smoking amoung the young. It also improves the tast. Raw tobaccoo isn't nice at all.
    However there are some reports out there that suggest that the sugars that are added can be addictive (and sugar can be just as addictive as tobaccoo even when not in cigs).
    You have a lot of "some reports say" in there, it reminds me of comments by interviewers trying the "balanced story" thingy pervading lots of media these days, they don't say "This peer reviewed study shows" they merely state "some people say".

http://www.quit.org.au/resource-centre/fact-sheets/tobacco-fact-sheets/whats-in-cigarettes
    Nicotine is the drug in tobacco which causes addiction in smokers.*

*US Department of Health and Human Services. The Health Consequences of Smoking: Nicotine Addiction. A report of the US Surgeon General. Rockville, Maryland, US Department of Health and Human Services, Public Health Service, Centers for Disease Control, Center for Health Promotion and Education, Office on Smoking Health, 1988.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/conditions/nicotine
    Nicotine is one of more than 4,000 chemicals found in the smoke from tobacco products; it is the primary component that acts on the brain. Smokeless tobacco products (for example, snuff and chewing tobacco) also contain many toxins as well as high levels of nicotine.
    And if you want to know how it works, here.
    http://www.news-medical.net/health/Nicotine-Pharmacology.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

That article has said what I think we all have known for a long time, kids should stay away from drugs (including your precious alcohol and fags) until they are 18 or over and any abuse of any drug will end badly.
    "It is such a special study that I'm fairly confident that cannabis is safe for over-18 brains, but risky for under-18 brains."

This quote is for people who are against Cannabis. (Considering ye read so much misinformed information online and take it as truth) so here you are now.

Advertisement