Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finer spell for South East from Friday Aug 31

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Indeed! The next 10 days are going to be glorious by the look of it. Why is September
    so kind to Ireland and yet the summer so consistently poor?

edit make that 8 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TURRICAN

Il take 8 days no problem anyway.
    I think we will always get good weather when the schools start back, gives the parents time to chill ax a bit:)

Meant to be going rowing and camping next weekend so I hope the weather stays.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Rooy

drizzle in Cork this morning but turned out possibly the nicest day of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭alentejo

Think the run of constant low's now broken. Settled weather till 7th DEC methinks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

mike65 wrote: »
    Indeed! The next 10 days are going to be glorious by the look of it. Why is September
    so kind to Ireland and yet the summer so consistently poor?

edit make that 8 days.

Your nearly always guaranteed a fine spell in September after a poor summer - this is a pattern I have noticed going back a few decades now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Why is that ? You would think when the sun moves south things would start cooling down a bit. But in Ireland it gets warmer!!!

20silkcut wrote: »
    Why is that ? You would think when the sun moves south things would start cooling down a bit. But in Ireland it gets warmer!!!

Could be that the difference in temp between airmasses in the Atlantic reaches a low point meaning less/fewer vigorous depressions hitting Ireland

I think a petition to extend September back to May is in order.

shaping up to be another gorgeous day in Cork , was very dull earlier , have to enjoy it through office window only though!

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Your nearly always guaranteed a fine spell in September after a poor summer - this is a pattern I have noticed going back a few decades now.

I did see on here a few weeks ago from one of the senior members that the stats back up if there is a bad June and July , August will usually be bad also , but if you have a bad June/July/Aug , then Sept will probably be a lot better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Rooy wrote: »
    I did see on here a few weeks ago from one of the senior members that the stats back up if there is a bad June and July , August will usually be bad also , but if you have a bad June/July/Aug , then Sept will probably be a lot better
    The St Swithin's Day legend in a nutshell :)
    If the weather is bad and unsettled in mid July it will stay that way until the end of August or thereabouts - roughly 40 days or 6 weeks.
    This old weather lore is ridiculed as a load of nonsense but I've always found a lot of truth in it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

The St Swithin's Day legend in a nutshell :)
    If the weather is bad and unsettled in mid July it will stay that way until the end of August or thereabouts - roughly 40 days or 6 weeks.
    This old weather lore is ridiculed as a load of nonsense but I've always found a lot of truth in it.

Yip...I've said/posted somewhere here before that there is actually a basis for the St Swithin's Day legend. Basically it is quite normal to get wet weather from late May until late June/early July (the European Monsoon) but if the weather has not settled by mid-July, it is often likely that the run of Atlantic low pressure systems will keep coming for the rest of the summer.

Fantastic day here. Sunny. 22.5c atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Another glorious day in Waterford, enjoying this 7 days rain free wall to wall sunshine :D

Apart from a couple of rude interruptions this looks like continuing for a few more weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Apart from a couple of rude interruptions this looks like continuing for a few more weeks.

Weeks?

Seriously??

3 Day Outlook
    On Friday night some light rain and drizzle will affect western coasts. Temperatures will fall to between 8 and 13 degrees.

Light rain will continue to affect parts of Connacht and Ulster on Saturday morning and afternoon. Elsewhere it will be drier and brighter, with some sunny spells.
    Temperatures will range from 15 to 21 degrees, with the higher values in the east of the country. Winds will be light and from the south. On Saturday night temperatures will fall to 9 or 10 degrees and some light rain will develop in the southwest. During Sunday morning rain will move into the west of the country and will gradually spread eastwards during the day. The rain will be heavy at times in particular in western and southern areas. It will be a close and humid day with highs of 17 to 21 degrees in moderate to fresh southerly winds.

There will be a marked drop in temperatures from Monday onwards, with fresh westerly winds bringing showers to many places. Temperatures will only climb to between 13 and 17 degrees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

where did you get that from ????

The GSF charts for the south east (;) ) look pretty decent - subject to the usual terms and conditions.

Warning! live images do change! :)

Rtavn2281.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Yes indeed that chart looks good, as long as Leslie or Michael decide not to wobble our way and spoil the party.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I would agree, this cool northerly spell early next week looks like being a toppler as high pressure reasserts from the west and temperatures recover.
    I just hope we don't get this pattern during the winter, theres nothing more frustrating than a 24-48hr northerly.

Rtavn1201.png

I would agree, this cool northerly spell early next week looks like being a toppler as high pressure reasserts from the west and temperatures recover.
    I just hope we don't get this pattern during the winter, theres nothing more frustrating than a 24-48hr northerly.

Rtavn1201.png

Met Eireann not seeing it like that at the moment for next week ;

Monday to Wednesday: Bright, cool blustery weather for Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Maximum temperatures 13 to 16 degrees in fresh and gusty westerly winds. There will be some sunny intervals and good drying periods but passing heavy showers will occur also. The nights will be chilly with minima of 5 to 8 degrees.
    Thursday & Friday: Possibly milder but wet and windy at times also with a possibility of some heavy bursts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

What are they not seeing?... looks spot on imo
    Rooy wrote: »
    Met Eireann not seeing it like that at the moment for next week ;

Monday to Wednesday: Bright, cool blustery weather for Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Maximum temperatures 13 to 16 degrees in fresh and gusty westerly winds. There will be some sunny intervals and good drying periods but passing heavy showers will occur also. The nights will be chilly with minima of 5 to 8 degrees.
    Thursday & Friday: Possibly milder but wet and windy at times also with a possibility of some heavy bursts.

Iancar29 wrote: »
    What are they not seeing?... looks spot on imo

I meant any return to more settled weather as suggested in earlier posts , i didnt response to the post i should have ,cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Thicknesses are set to go from their current 560-564 dm down to around 520, which if we were in winter would be near enough to snow, so it will be pretty chilly alright. If darkman were here he'd be starting a snow thread!

Su Campu wrote: »
    Thicknesses are set to go from their current 560-564 dm down to around 520, which if we were in winter would be near enough to snow, so it will be pretty chilly alright. If darkman were here he'd be starting a snow thread!

Just when i'm getting used to the bit of warmth of the past few days:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Su Campu wrote: »
    If darkman were here he'd be starting a snow thread!

No one can do a icon4.png thread like Darkman2!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Actually thickness will be nowhere near 520, I miscalculated that earlier, but should be down to around 540 dm Tuesday, which would roughly translate to max temperatures of mid teens at best. Getting back up to 545-555 dm for the rest of the week, highest in the south, which would mean 20 °C would be the best to expect at a push.

So then a downgrade this working week but recovery for next weekend by the look of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭srmambo

So then a downgrade this working week but recovery for next weekend by the look of it.

Heh, in that case the weather turns horrible at the right time :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement