Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boys soccer

Options
  • 28-08-2012 8:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi
    Im looking for a bit of advice about my son who is almost 13. Hes played soccer for the past 4 years, hes always been on the 2nd team but unfortunately theses teams always seem to break up. He did tryouts the past few weeks for his current club but he hasnt made the team and theres not enough players now to make up a second team, some of the fellas off his old team have left. Hes pretty upset now cos he just loves playing,but im wondering should he just forget about soccer?
    I could send him into one of the Dundalk teams but the same thing could happen again,Im thinking theres not much point in moving him to difderent clubs each season?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭qc3

Being involved in underage football myself, I don't like to see clubs run trials for teams.
    It's hard enough for teenagers without the rejection from coaches of teams.
    Underage football should not be competative until the age of 14 or 15, Similar to spain and brazil.
    What you want for your son is a manager who is there to give kids playing time, win or lose.
    A few teams in Dundalk run second teams in all age groups which gives all kids football,irrespective of their ability on the picth.
    Kids ability can change dramatically over any season, So I wouldn't give up on finding a team for your son.
    If he is happy playing football, Keep him at it.
    I'll sent you PM with contact number.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rogieop

Bellurgan United and Quay Celtic are great clubs in Dundalk for underage football.

Take him down to either of there for a couple of nights and see how he gets on, they will definitely look after him.

Dont just pack it in, some players develop at different stages. At thirteen years of age he's barely even started. he has huge amounts of development left in both ability and physicality.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭newtothis2011

Thanks for the replies, possibly because were not in the town its harder to get the numbers for a second team? Or from that age up is it hard to get boys to play? Would we be late now to join another club?

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

you can join at any stage during it doesn't matter

Advertisement