Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marc Dutroux's wife being released

• 28-08-2012 9:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭

Dont know if this is the right place for this, can mods please move if somewhere else is more appropriate.

So apparently the wife of Mark Dutroux, Michelle Martin, is set to be released after serving about half of her 30 year sentence.

There is absolute uproar in Belgium about this, and rightly so. She should be let rot - she was fully aware of all her husbands activities, and was complicit in the abduction, rape, assault and murder of young girls.

Shocking, tbh.
    A Belgian court will decide later today if the wife of child rapist and murderer Marc Dutroux can be released from prison into a monastery.

Michelle Martin has served little more than half her 30-years for her part in the crimes.

Link.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Must admit I didn't know anything about this. Will do some reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

was she convicted of letting the two girl starve in the basement?

She got 30 years, she gets out after 10 is it?

not much different to here then - sometimes people don't even make it to prison here when they cause havoc (thinking of the swiss student in Galway, who was murdered by someone who actually should have been in jail).

its the way the justice system works.

Is she going straight into an enclosed order of nuns?

just heard it briefly on the news this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

was she convicted of letting the two girl starve in the basement?

She got 30 years, she gets out after 10 is it?

not much different to here then - sometimes people don't even make it to prison here when they cause havoc (thinking of the swiss student in Galway, who was murdered by someone who actually should have been in jail).

its the way the justice system works.

Is she going straight into an enclosed order of nuns?

just heard it briefly on the news this morning.

Martin was also arrested in 1996 and later found guilty of helping Dutroux hold his victims prisoner.
    She was also convicted of complicity in the death of two of the small girls, found starved to death in a cellar in the southern city of Charleroi.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2181485/Michelle-Martin-Outrage-remorseless-ex-wife-child-killer-released-prison-spend-years-prayer-convent.html#ixzz24pZ9Xzvd

She is entitled to apply for parole after serving 1/3 of her sentence. Granted, it's the way the justice system works, but it doesn't make it right, especially considering psychiatrists dealing with her have said that she may still pose a threat to the society.

This is the same justice system that allowed Dutroux to walk free after serving three years for abduction and rape.
    (wiki quote)
    Upon his release the parole board received a letter from Dutroux's own mother to the prison director, in which she stressed concern that he was keeping young girls captive in his house - which was essentially ignored.

The same justice system that allowed two girls to starve while dutroux was being questioned about car robberies.

The same justice system that released him after this investigation in the car racket to allow him to abduct another young girl.

The same justice system that allowed him, albeit briefly to escape in 1998.

Forgive me if I have no faith in that system of justice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

To add insult to injury, she is going to be taken in by a convent.

There is something stomach churning about a religious order harbouring someone convicted of complicity in the deaths of children to cover up for a child rapist.

I don't know why this shocks or surprises me though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Seems entirely appropriate!

(inserts standard AH bad taste quip - lock up your daughters)

• Advertisement

alproctor wrote: »
    She is entitled to apply for parole after serving 1/3 of her sentence. Granted, it's the way the justice system works, but it doesn't make it right, especially considering psychiatrists dealing with her have said that she may still pose a threat to the society.

This is the same justice system that allowed Dutroux to walk free after serving three years for abduction and rape.
    (wiki quote)

The same justice system that allowed two girls to starve while dutroux was being questioned about car robberies.

The same justice system that released him after this investigation in the car racket to allow him to abduct another young girl.

The same justice system that allowed him, albeit briefly to escape in 1998.

Forgive me if I have no faith in that system of justice.

totally agree with you - but thats how it works there, here and probably everywhere. Remember when that poor swiss girl was murdered her, I think the guy should have already been in prison, but he was nowhere near a prison.

Look at the guy in Sweden - he got 99 days for each person he murdered last year. Thats not fair either but its how it works.

Justice isn't fair - it's warped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

A child abuser lying low with a religious order?

Well I never!

Lapin wrote: »

There is something stomach churning about a religious order harbouring someone convicted of complicity in the deaths of children to cover up for a child rapist.

it shouldn't - given the history of religious history that has come out recently

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

She is to be released anyway according to Belgian law.
    Would people prefer if she moved into their housing estate?

The whole Dutroux case is disgusting, displays openly the entrenched negligence of the State.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

As somebody who knows nothing about this I will do no further reading and be outraged or overjoyed depending on the prevailing opinion in AH.

• Advertisement

As somebody who knows nothing about this I will do no further reading and be outraged or overjoyed depending on the prevailing opinion in AH.

It would take the sickest and most perverted of even the most disturbed and disjointed creature on AH to find something to be overjoyed about in this case.

Although I'm sure there are a few.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

It would take the sickest and most perverted of even the most disturbed and disjointed creature on AH to find something to be overjoyed about in this case.

Although I'm sure there are a few.

I'll go with outraged so.

Good man yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Screw it!

I'm going for outraged!! This is bound to be a one dimensional, clean cut story!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

There was this guy called Jesus. He said forgive sinners and do not judge, should you be judged yourself etc. etc. Amazing that a bunch of nuns who follow his teachings would turn around and try to copy him!

Babooshka wrote: »
    There was this guy called Jesus. He said forgive sinners and do not judge, should you be judged yourself etc. etc. Amazing that a bunch of nuns who follow his teachings would turn around and try to copy him!

Bollox to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Yay, we got to look down our noses at the Norwegian justice system last week, and the Belgian system this week. Happy days indeed.

totally agree with you - but thats how it works there, here and probably everywhere. Remember when that poor swiss girl was murdered her, I think the guy should have already been in prison, but he was nowhere near a prison.

Look at the guy in Sweden - he got 99 days for each person he murdered last year. Thats not fair either but its how it works.

Justice isn't fair - it's warped.

Manuela Riédo.. That thug should never have been out, I agree.
    Yay, we got to look down our noses at the Norwegian justice system last week, and the Belgian system this week. Happy days indeed.

What I cannot understand is that there are psychiatrists that are working with this woman that are of the opinion that she may still pose a threat to the general public. And they are still talking about releasing her?
    Lunacy of the highest order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

What I cannot understand is that there are psychiatrists that are working with this woman that are of the opinion that she may still pose a threat to the general public. And they are still talking about releasing her?
    Lunacy of the highest order.

That may be true, but theres nothing in the links posted earlier that actually say this.
    The Daily Mail link said 'psychiatrists have said she may still pose a threat' - but no suggestion these psychiatrists have been involved with her. They may have just been rent-a-quote psychiatrists.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

I dont understand women who do that sh!t first thing i would do is dob him in,it is disgusting,i think she should have gotten life like that other guy there as bad as each other..

• Advertisement

Release confirmed

From the link above...
    A woman who let two eight-year-old girls starve in a cellar and helped her paedophile husband carry out horrific abuse of others went from prison to a convent amid outrage from Belgians over the early release of one of the country's most despised criminals.

The nation's highest court approved Michelle Martin's release after she served 16 years of a 30-year prison term for her role in the mid-1990s kidnappings, rapes and killings by her then-husband Marc Dutroux.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Dont know if this is the right place for this, can mods please move if somewhere else is more appropriate.

So apparently the wife of Mark Dutroux, Michelle Martin, is set to be released after serving about half of her 30 year sentence.

There is absolute uproar in Belgium about this, and rightly so. She should be let rot - she was fully aware of all her husbands activities, and was complicit in the abduction, rape, assault and murder of young girls.

Shocking, tbh.

Link.

It'll be worse when she remarries to Larry Murphy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

She wasn't really a Myra Hindley who lured the victims.

Her crime was she was complicit and I think brainwashed.

But we will never know.

Colmustard wrote: »
    She wasn't really a Myra Hindley who lured the victims.

Her crime was she was complicit and I think brainwashed.

But we will never know.

I disagree - she knowingly left two 8 year olds to die.... She should be let starve too.

Advertisement