Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Photo of the Week #114 21/07/2012 - 27/07/2012

• 28-08-2012 9:17am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Mjollnir has the next POTW. Wow ... what else is there to say?

7629702434_5f9f83aa34_c.jpg

Honourable Mentions

MaggyM
    EA18C904EB93442CB5DF29C60EA47CF3-0000318759-0002942350-00600L-6580E809E07A40A6B0E50C53BDBE0202.jpg

thatsnotmyname
    F60F1CA9661345B180A53C3EBAF6AC95-0000323799-0002942818-00800L-D8C100564A1C4382886CCD6910F0D57F.jpg

keps
    794061D75E2241F389DC4DF42E9AF70D-0000337703-0002940054-00800L-DB51C7766EA045B0B631C13C5439B0DD.jpg

Art Deko
    7648975630_4ee6aa2c82_z.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

@Keps- Wow, stunning shot. Different from the normal long exposure vehicle photos which are in urban surroundings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭steoc

What an amazing set of images....
    Mjollnir you nailed that photo, pure class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Brilliant shots guys! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Well done everyone :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

What I love about these threads is that I'll often miss a cracker of a shot in TRPT and I'll get a second chance here to get to see them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭aidanic

5uspect wrote: »
    What I love about these threads is that I'll often miss a cracker of a shot in TRPT and I'll get a second chance here to get to see them.

Yes, my thoughts exactly...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

just delighted to be included in that company.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

keps wrote: »
    just delighted to be included in that company.

My favourite shot of the bunch - just love it!

My favourite shot of the bunch - just love it!

wow thanks:)

You know where it is don't you - just opposite the entrance to the Carton Golf Club.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

You know where it is don't you - just opposite the entrance to the Carton Golf Club.

Don't know it that well but figured it was down that neck of the woods somewhere. Great motion on both sides of the bridge from the train. If you hadn't got the blurry train to the right of the arch it wouldn't work at all and you also got the movement of the water in the canal. Well done you!

• Advertisement

BTW just to point out that I was 20 'thanks' or so behind Mjollnir and MaggyM-with thatsnotmyname way ahead also - so there is no doubt as to who were the 'class acts' of that week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Mjollnir

Three cheers for everyone concerned, and thanks!

The quality on this board is w/out compare and w/out snobbery.

Can't ask for more than that.

Mjollnir wrote: »

The quality on this board is w/out compare and w/out snobbery.

It's great that somebody with a 'non parochial ' view thinks that the photo standard here stands up to that on other photo sites - that really cheers me up.:):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Mjollnir

It's great that somebody with a 'non parochial ' view thinks that the photo standard here stands up to that on other photo sites - that really cheers me up.:):)

Trust me, I fritter away time at enough other sites to see that photo-snobbery has almost universally infected formerly excellent sites.

There is still the highest standards of quality here with none of the self-absorbed, public preening that occurs elsewhere.

It's like photography here is still a great amateur pursuit, with none of the attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Mjollnir wow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I've said it before, but the POTW thread is the best thread on the internet, bar none. The depth and breath of subject matter and styles is eye-opening. The quality of some of the photos is inspirational. And the openness of the thread - from raw beginners to seasoned experts - is a credit to all who post in it.

Photos like the four that made the cut above (plus lots that didn't quite make it this time) play a very large part in what pushes me to become a better photographer.

Thanks, and well done all!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

It's interesting counting the Thanks to compile this each week. I normally make spreadsheet of all the relevant posts with 30+ Thanks. Then the top score gets POTW and the next four are HM's*. Some weeks the HM's will be over 40 Thanks, bit others I have to go back and recount over 25 Thanks to fill the list. With the high and low Thanks it seems that the quality is still up there. It makes me wonder though how a POTW may not get a mention on te same number of Thanks another week.

*I started the HM's a while back when I saw that some weeks there was only one or two Thanks in the difference. My belief is that we should see a range and made them the HM's. Now it's only the top scoring photo of an individual which makes the list.

Yeah the numbers vary hugely from week to week- and even though I think I had 46 thanks 'this week' - I would not have got an Hon mention unless the 'top scoring' rule was in play- as Mjollnir had such great/ high thanks shots.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Yeah the numbers vary hugely from week to week- and even though I think I had 46 thanks 'this week' - I would not have got an Hon mention unless the 'top scoring' rule was in play- as Mjollnir had such great/ high thanks shots.

You were safe at 44. The shot by Art Deko would have gone.

This was my count. I think more revisit and add thanks after the POTW comes out.

Post Thanks
    802 61
    797 52

725 50
    810 49
    757 44
    830 37

769 36
    805 34
    856 34

Anyway Cabansail - thanks for doing all that work.

In a way it's a thankless job- but it's great to see those top photos every week.

- as mentioned before on this thread it's very easy to miss a real good one

• Advertisement
Advertisement