Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lane Changes at Sandyford Roundabout

Options
  • 28-08-2012 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭

.. or whatever it's called - I'm a northsider - it's the main one just up from the industrial estate anyway :p

Noticed this morning that they've reduced 3 lanes to 2 coming from Sandyford Village direction and crossed off half of the right turn/M50 south lane.

So now instead of 2 lanes heading to the business park, we have 1 that then becomes 2 again so I expect lots of last minute weaving and people cutting each other off as a result.

Why?? Seems like a pointless change to me. Bit like that little hatched area on the quays inbound down from Hueston that equally serves no purpose.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

They could have runway lights on that roundabout and people still wouldn't know what to do! The amount of gob****es that cut directly across lanes as opposed to staying in their own lane is unbelievable! Then you have people in the left turn only lane (signed and arrowed) going straight on even though the person in the lane beside them are turning left ( which is signed/arrowed to allow ). And forget about the lights as this means **** all to some!

OK, deeps breaths and relax

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Then you have people in the left turn only lane (signed and arrowed) going straight on even though the person in the lane beside them are turning left ( which is signed/arrowed to allow ).

If you guys mean the M50-Sandyford roundabout, the only lane signs are on the road itself instead of on approach signs or gantrys. This means that people unfamiliar with the road layout won't know where they're supposed to be because the road markings will be in the most useless place of all - underneath other cars. I made a few mistakes the first few times I used that roundabout - one minute I'd be in the correct lane, then I'd pass an exit arm and suddenly I'd be trapped in the wrong lane because they'd changed but I couldn't see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Think the roundabout in question is the one up from the Beacon Hospital.

That's the one that I have the issues with on a daily basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

There was a lot of work going on at the weekend and last night erecting new signs. Not sure what's going on exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

homer911 wrote: »
    There was a lot of work going on at the weekend and last night erecting new signs. Not sure what's going on exactly.

Yea they've started messing with the lanes as you come off that roundabout heading towards the Beacon as well. Ironically it made things easier as no one was 100% sure what lane to be in - normally they're cutting across from the outside to the innermost lane the moment they get to the point that the lane on the left merges in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,571 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I'm really not sure what they're doing here. Right now, the left lane is for left and straight ahead, while the middle and right lane are both for going right. This makes perfect sense to relieve traffic in the morning but it is an absolute nightmare for those heading this direction between 5 and 6.

If you are coming off the roundabout and want to turn left (towards Blackthorn Drive or Sandyford Road), the traffic in the left lane can often be backed up by traffic coming from the Dundrum slip/relief road. Your best bet is to dangerously slot into a gap in traffic or just hover around with your indicator on, hoping a good samaritan will let you in and nobody from behind will beep at you.

The best compromise I can think of is to change the left lane for left only, middle lane for straight ahead (Drummartin) and right, and right lane for right only. But as stated above, some overhead signage is badly needed here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

The best compromise I can think of is to change the left lane for left only, middle lane for straight ahead (Drummartin) and right, and right lane for right only. But as stated above, some overhead signage is badly needed here

The right filter only comes on for a short while, so if cars in the middle lane are both turning right and going straight on, this would be a bit of a mess.

I remember when they first introduced the two right turning lanes - it was really stupid outside rush hour as the sensor for the right filter was only under the right-most lane - you would often see people sitting there as the lights went through a couple of cycles wondering what was going on! Its fixed now though!

That whole junction is a disaster thanks to the idiots in the planning dept. who let them build Beacon Hospital and Hotel so close to the road - it needs three lanes there, not two. When getting out of say Microsoft at rush hour and aiming for the M50, you are better going out the Stillorgan exit, along the upper kilmacud and up the Drumartin link road, than trying to squeeze out past Beacon Hospital

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Yea they've started messing with the lanes as you come off that roundabout heading towards the Beacon as well. Ironically it made things easier as no one was 100% sure what lane to be in - normally they're cutting across from the outside to the innermost lane the moment they get to the point that the lane on the left merges in

That was exactly the point of the relining, to make it easier.

A new exit from Sandyford bypassing the Brewery Road roundabout will be constructed starting later this year. The dead end road at Burton Hall will break out opposite Vodafone and let traffic go to the M50 without going around the roundabout, likewise for inbound in the mornings

• Registered Users Posts: 17,571 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

New road marking are up. At first, I liked them but on 2nd thoughts, they don't make a whole lot of sense.

If you are coming from the roundabout to the beacon junction, everything is perfect. Road markings are clear and its easy to get into whatever lane you need. However, coming from the north looks a nightmare. Technically, the filter lane is only for those turning left/straight at the beacon and if you want to go right, you have to go to the roundabout first.

If you were to assume everybody would abide by the rules of the road, this is the perfect solution but at rush hour, everyone is gonna cut corners when they can so this doesn't look like an improvement at all

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

They need to put a length of concrete bollard in place of the new hatching they have put on the road going towards the beacon from the M50 roundabout. It would in an instant force all drivers to use the correct lanes. People would make the mistake once, but then never again. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I walk through the junction just up from this one (the one beside the Beacon Hospital) and it has to be one of the most dangerous junctions I've seen in Dublin. The right turn from the M50 roundabout, across the junction then up blackthorn drive is the site of near daily near misses. This is due to the turn taking > 4 seconds to complete, and drivers constantly breaking the red so they're left half way through the turn while the other light is green and cars are leaving off. Also, the left turn slip road from blackthorn up towards the M50 roundabout would be hilarious if it wasn't so dangerous. Every driver looks the wrong direction, and speeds through the red light, usually while a pedestrian is stepping out. the amount of times I've had to jump back while some idiot isn't paying attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

New road marking are up. At first, I liked them but on 2nd thoughts, they don't make a whole lot of sense.

If you are coming from the roundabout to the beacon junction, everything is perfect. Road markings are clear and its easy to get into whatever lane you need. However, coming from the north looks a nightmare. Technically, the filter lane is only for those turning left/straight at the beacon and if you want to go right, you have to go to the roundabout first.

If you were to assume everybody would abide by the rules of the road, this is the perfect solution but at rush hour, everyone is gonna cut corners when they can so this doesn't look like an improvement at all

Well this junction is still causing chaos in the mornings - twice this week alone I've nearly had the front of the car taken off me by chancers cutting into my lane from the filter lane.

I did however ring Dundrum Gardai this morning after the latest near miss and she promised to send a bike/car down for the next few mornings so we'll see - it is DLR council that is responsible for this stretch? I've no idea myself not being from the area, but I can be very persistent too :)
    spockety wrote: »
    They need to put a length of concrete bollard in place of the new hatching they have put on the road going towards the beacon from the M50 roundabout. It would in an instant force all drivers to use the correct lanes. People would make the mistake once, but then never again. ;)
    Good idea alright but I fear all it'd really do is move the problem 50m down the road :(

The council should improve the signage on the Dundrum slip road approaching this junction as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Well this junction is still causing chaos in the mornings - twice this week alone I've nearly had the front of the car taken off me by chancers cutting into my lane from the filter lane.

I did however ring Dundrum Gardai this morning after the latest near miss and she promised to send a bike/car down for the next few mornings so we'll see - it is DLR council that is responsible for this stretch? I've no idea myself not being from the area, but I can be very persistent too :)

Good idea alright but I fear all it'd really do is move the problem 50m down the road :(

The council should improve the signage on the Dundrum slip road approaching this junction as well.

Hey, did you ever get anywhere with this?
    I drive it every morning and the chaos just one idiot can cause by stopping in the filter lane and indicating is ridiculous. The straight/left lane can be completely empty due to some numpty blocking it.

Surely the need to do something, after spending however much redesigning it? Its a complete waste at the moment.
    Id be in favour of those flexible cones being installed the whole length of the hatching...or the concrete crash barriers either!

Did you ever determine who to complain to?

Advertisement