Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Herbal Essences - left hair greasy!

• 28-08-2012 10:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I haven't used Herbal Essences shampoo and conditioner since they rebranded and relaunched, although I used to use it years ago and found it fine. It was on special offer in Boots so bought the Beautiful Ends shampoo and conditioner for split ends and used last night for the first time.

When I was washing out the shampoo the hair on the top of my head felt really full of product and sticky. I'd my hair up in a high ponytail yesterday and had used a good bit of hairspray so figured that hadn't washed out properly, so I put more shampoo in and really scrubbed that area for ages but when I washed it out it still felt exactly the same, like there was some heavy, sticky product in it. I put conditioner on the bottom half of my hair, like I usually do, and rubbed a little of the lather onto the top of my head to see if it would make a difference. The hair still felt quite heavy there but not as sticky.

I let my hair dry naturally, it was still quite damp going to bed, and when I woke up this morning and went to straighten it, it felt greasy around the roots and the hair on the top of my head was especially greasy, but not like natural greasiness, it was more like I'd had hair gel or some product in the day before and not washed it out.

My hair is naturally oily anyway, I only really get one "clean" day out of it, and then tie it up on the second day before washing it again. But I've never had it this bad before. I imagine it must be to do with the shampoo and conditioner I used...has this happened to anyone else?

(God that's a very long-winded post about washing my hair...apologies :o )

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

When you mean you put some of the lather on your roots when you had the conditioner on the ends, do you mean you put conditioner on the roots? Or more shampoo? Either way, that could be your problem. If it was conditioner, then that was the issue, it's not really meant for the roots of your hair. If it was more shampoo, chances are it could have mixed with the conditioner a bit and left a residue. I've definitely found in the past that if I haven't quite rinsed all the shampoo out of my hair before I put the conditioner in, it leaves a build-up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I pushed a bit of the conditioner lather up to the top of my head, I didn't rub it into the roots, I just basically swiped it over that area and washed it out. The issue was definitely there before I conditioned, it was after shampooing that my hair felt sticky and full of product. I washed the shampoo out very thoroughly, I was rinsing for ages, way more than usual, because of the way the shampoo had made my hair feel. I thought the conditioner might reduce the sticky feeling, which it did a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I pushed a bit of the conditioner lather up to the top of my head, I didn't rub it into the roots, I just basically swiped it over that area and washed it out. The issue was definitely there before I conditioned, it was after shampooing that my hair felt sticky and full of product. I washed the shampoo out very thoroughly, I was rinsing for ages, way more than usual, because of the way the shampoo had made my hair feel. I thought the conditioner might reduce the sticky feeling, which it did a bit.

Hmm, that is odd. Only time I've seen anything like that is when I worked in a hairdressers and people would come in with a LOT of product like Dax or other wax in their hair. We normally had to put the shampoo onto their hair dry, give it a really good scrub, rinse, then shampoo and condition the hair as normal. But I wouldn't have thought hairspray alone would be enough to cause that kind of build-up.

No, I wear hairspray a lot, and I hadn't any more than usual in my hair! I remember when Fructis shampoos and conditioners first came out years ago, a few different people in my family complained that it didn't wash out properly and left their hair feeling greasy, so I imagine that's the same as what happened with me and the Herbal Essences...maybe it just doesn't agree with my hair! I'll give it one more shot tomorrow but if it happens again I'll offload it on my housemate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

SO GLAD IT ISN'T JUST ME!

I used to use Herbal Essences when I was in my early teens but am mostly a Pantene girl now. I saw Herbal Essences on offer in my local pharmacy a few weeks ago and picked up a bottle of shampoo as I was out (can't remember which one, it was in a pink bottle). Anyway, tried it twice and it left my hair dull and heavy. It was MANKY. It looked greasy upon drying. The first time I thought it might be thicker than my usual stuff, so I gave it a second chance, well over-rinsing it, but same problem again.

I don't know what they've done to it but it's awful.... I used the rest of the bottle as a body wash! :p

• Advertisement

Yeah the bottles I have are pinky red, I wonder are they the same ones :eek: Looks like the shampoo will be used as shower gel and the conditioner as shaving gel :D

Possibly!

Ah well, least they smell nice enough to use on your body :D

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Piper101

Plus one for me I'm afraid, leaves my hair a greasy mess, like that I'm naturally oily anyway but normally my hair is perfectly fine after washing, I can feel the shampoo in my hair while I'm drying it, yuck!

Serves me right for trying to save 2 euro!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

Here I was thinking it was just me! Recently I changed my hair colour to brown and so happened to pick up a bottle of herbal essence just after getting it done.

My hair is normally on the dry side but since I start using this I've noticed my hair looks greasy.I thought it was the hair colour.... was getting a wee bit pissed off and even considering changing my colour back to red.

I won't be using it again after reading this ta....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭csi vegas

OP: Have you ever used a clarifying shampoo? There was one by Pantene (which btw I could only ever get in Dunnes) and it was the bomb for removing product build-up.
    Most shampoos contain silicone to 'smooth' down the hair shaft and your Herbal Essences most likely does too, especially as it's the 'smooth ends' one (or something), so by (obviously) washing with it all over, your scalp unfortuneately got the teflon-coated treatment ;)

I haven't seen my beloved Pantene now for a while but am on a mission to track it down again. They've since rebranded so I may be out of luck BUT if you don't already own a clarifying shampoo then I'd recommend you try one because whatever you put on your hair it'll undo the accumulation.
    You use it once a week/fortnight.
    The closest I've found to Pantene is Tresemme Naturals.
    It's sulphate free and does as good a job as Pantene at 'cleaning'.

• Advertisement

csi vegas wrote: »
    OP: Have you ever used a clarifying shampoo? There was one by Pantene (which btw I could only ever get in Dunnes) and it was the bomb for removing product build-up.
    Most shampoos contain silicone to 'smooth' down the hair shaft and your Herbal Essences most likely does too, especially as it's the 'smooth ends' one (or something), so by (obviously) washing with it all over, your scalp unfortuneately got the teflon-coated treatment ;)

I haven't seen my beloved Pantene now for a while but am on a mission to track it down again. They've since rebranded so I may be out of luck BUT if you don't already own a clarifying shampoo then I'd recommend you try one because whatever you put on your hair it'll undo the accumulation.

Try Pantene Ice Shine shampoo.... it's not clarifying but I have found it gives me 2 grease free days (most shampoos will only give me one).

csi vegas wrote: »

No I've never tried one, but thanks for the tip, will keep an eye out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 HannahLloyd

Exact same happened me Cant use any of the Herbal Essences shampoos its awful!

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Isolt

I am another one who has stopped using it for the same reason. My hair wouldn't be oily at all but anytime I use Herbal Essence's it starts to look greasy fairly fast. It used to be GREAT shampoo a few years back but I suspect they've altered the ingredients since then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

I had the same problem with Herbal Essences, left my hair thick with grease, had to wash it twice afterwards to get the greasiness out of it.

• I have the same problem. They've def changed the formula. It's horrible now. Sticky and greasy and smells disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

I have the same problem. They've def changed the formula. It's horrible now. Sticky and greasy and smells disgusting.
    The smell reminded me of those horrid Bubbaliscious bubble gums, remember the ones, with the horrible "juice" in the middle when you bit into them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭emg74

Same happened with me... left my hair looking greasy all the time, Had the one in the red bottle... I used it in the end for cleaning the loo. All it was good for.

Am now using the cheapie Alberto Balsam shampoo and condition and it is really suiting my hair. Feels clean after washing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭RebelScorned

I tried the Blue Herbal Essence shampoo/conditioner/and deep conditioner set a few years back and I hated the effect. It is completely packed full of silicones, it does no favours for your hair, all cosmetic, and even at that, not a fan. I only use Kerastase shampoos, conditioners and styling products- they are that bit more costly but the results speak for themselves. I have not found any other shampoo that comes near, including other professional brands.

Advertisement