Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Breaking News - WW2 UXB found in Schwabing, Munich

• 28-08-2012 10:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭

An unexploded WW2 Bomb has just been found in the plush city district of Schwabing in Munich.
    A mass evacuation is currently underway.

Just got a phone call about this 10 mins ago, from relatives living there. Nothing on the web or news here yet. This will cause major disruption in the city until it is dealt with, and if it explodes the carnage will be unreal.

Will post link as soon as is available.

edit

Link

Thanks tiptopgolfy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

I think its a good thing that the Germans are reminded that once upon a time, people used to stand up to them. And bombed the **** out of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I think its a good thing that the Germans are reminded that once upon a time, people used to stand up to them. And bombed the **** out of them.

I think you need to look up the Dresden Bombings. The German people did nothing to deserve that.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,592 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

That's explosive news!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

With the amount of bombs dropped during the war, I'm surprised this kinda discovery isn't more common.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

It's been sitting there for 70 years without exploding, don't think it will go boom now all of a sudden

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

what ever way i read that i thought it meant a type x U-boat and was wondering how it got to be so far from the sea.... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

With the amount of bombs dropped during the war, I'm surprised this kinda discovery isn't more common.

What makes this more intresting is that it is in a plush city district.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Irelands recession lingers on.
    Germany about to experience another boom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

"Shocking" stuff.

Wait.........wrong pun.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

In fairness to the Germans, they don't try and hide what they did and don't need to be reminded, as they are well aware of what happened.

In fairness to the Germans, they don't try and hide what they did and don't need to be reminded, as they are well aware of what happened.

They really don't seem to like when I bring it up though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Is that not just because it is illegal to deny it happened? :D

I think you need to look up the Dresden Bombings. The German people did nothing to deserve that.

They freely elected a party that pushed for a war. And got it.
    And you need to look at the devastation their bombers caused through out Europe.
    Sickens me, that as time goes by, people try to disassociate the Nazis from the general German population.
    Its not like they were a seperate ethnic group. The nazis were German. And at the time the Germans were HAPPY to be nazis.
    Seperate thread probably. Rant over

Duggy747 wrote: »
    "Shocking" stuff.

Ba Boom tish:pac:

OSI wrote: »
    Yes, because the Germans weren't known for indiscriminate bombings/killings at all.

Not saying they weren't. But you can't hold the entire German populace accountable for that, and two wrongs don't make a right at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭tiptopgolfy

Not saying they weren't. But you can't hold the entire German populace accountable for that, and two wrongs don't make a right at all.
    They don't mind blaming all of us for a few bankers, builders and politicians

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

eh these things are found quite often and 9/10 are only little farts of things. I doubt it would do much damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭The Master of Disaster

This actually happens a lot. With the amount of ordnance that was dropped on Germany towards the end of WW2 there's still a huge amount of UXB's waiting to be found. It's the same thing with the old sea mines that seem to pop up every now and again having seemingly been drifting the oceans for years.

'Insert generic AH joke tying bomb to the relationship between Germany and Ireland's economy'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Yeah, EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM, right ?
    Sickens me, that as time goes by, people try to disassociate the Nazis from the general German population.
    Its not like they were a seperate ethnic group. The nazis were German. And at the time the Germans were HAPPY to be nazis.

Daniel Goldhagen much ??

Shall I point you to this again ??

I must remind my sisters Mother in Law about that.
    I’m sure she’d be truly enlightened by your ‘thesis’ sorry, 'feces'.

Her aging Grandparents, (who were never supporters of Hitler, or the regime), were blown to bits in their own home by just such a bomb in 1944. Their bodies were never found.
    Rant over

Yeah, glad you clarified that, that’s exactly what it was.

Go read a book.....

if you can :rolleyes:

And you need to look at the devastation their bombers caused through out Europe.
    Seperate thread probably. Rant over

The situation with the German people when the Nazis came to power was complicated. There was a lot of resentment as a result of the Versailles Treaty (again stemming from the actions of the government rather than the people), the Great Depression was particularly hard in Germany, and Communism was on the rise which most didn't agree with. So the Nazis brainwashed them into giving them power, hardly making them responsible for atrocities now is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Melion wrote: »
    It's been sitting there for 70 years without exploding, don't think it will go boom now all of a sudden

I hereby promote you to Head of Health and Safety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Duggy747 wrote: »
    "Shocking" stuff.

Yeah, that certainly bombed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Wow, not even lunchtime but I'm willing to bet I don't read anything stupider than that all day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Pilotdude5

I'm still waiting for this to blow..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Richard_Montgomery

SS Richard Montgomery was an American Liberty ship built during World War II, one of the 2,710 used to carry cargo during the war. The ship was wrecked off the Nore in the Thames Estuary in 1944 with around 1,400 tonnes (1,500 short tons) of explosives on board,[1] which continue to be a hazard to the area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

It's not like Ireland had anything to do with standing up to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,668 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Yes, because the Germans weren't known for indiscriminate bombings/killings at all.

Hoe do you know all the people being effected by this are German...?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Melion wrote: »

Course it won't. *continues banging on the casing with hammer*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

marcsignal wrote: »
    An unexploded WW2 Bomb has just been found in the plush city district of Schwabing in Munich.
    A mass evacuation is currently underway.

Just got a phone call about this 10 mins ago, from relatives living there. Nothing on the web or news here yet. This will cause major disruption in the city until it is dealt with, and if it explodes the carnage will be unreal.

Will post link as soon as is available.

edit

Link

Thanks tiptopgolfy

this is nothing special. this kind of thing happens all the time. worked with a guy whose job was to defuse those things.

just like the boys of three para stood up to those unruly Fenians in Derry in 1972.

these days there are no bombings, but surgical strikes that only kill bad people.

They really don't seem to like when I bring it up though.

Irish people do not like when Germans bring the IRA.

the nazis is the limit of the horizon for a lot of Irish people. name a famous German-Hitler. he was Austrian but ignorance is bliss.

They don't mind blaming all of us for a few bankers, builders and politicians

we partied hard and demanded the government spend every penny. we went along with it. any fool would have recognised that the bubble would burst at some stage.

Marcsignal. Did you READ the article you quoted.
    "SMALL isolated groups"
    Of course they had opposition, but they also had a large slice of the electorate that voted for them(mid 40s%),so they were hardly a small unsupported group that gained power by illegal means. Ands its not as if they hid their agenda from the German people. Bar the "Final Solution" which had not yet been dreamt up, their policies were well known.
    And while I sympathise with any innocent casualties caused by any bombing( my earler "bomb the **** out of them" line was a bad joke and showed poor taste and I apoligise), many of the people killed in the bombings in Dresden and other German cities, probably would have cheered at the newsreels of German victorys( and Bombings) in other citys.
    It seems to me that a lot of the blame for atrocities caused by the nazis tries to airbrush the German people out of the equation. It would be a hard sell by Europes politicians to sell political, financial and social integration to its citizens, when the largest country in that group would have systmatically slaughtered millions of their brethern just a few decades earlier. And so, the general concensus among political, media and assorted interested groups is to disassociate the two.
    Also, Marcsignal.
    While your sisters inlaws may well have been completely innocent, there wern't many germans coming forward after the war claiming to be fervent followers of Hitler and admirers of his ideology.
    Not saying your sisters inlaws are lying, but many did

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

It's not like Ireland had anything to do with standing up to them.

i think you will find 50,000 people who would disagree with that statement ( 5,000 alone deserted from the irish army to fight germany and the axis powers )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

They found an American WWII bomb under the pitch (around the penalty box) in Bayern Munich's reserve team stadium a few months ago. The first team used to play there up until the 70s also.

http://polpix.sueddeutsche.com/polopoly_fs/1.1366433.1337880956!/image/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/900x600/image.jpg
    http://polpix.sueddeutsche.com/polopoly_fs/1.1366467.1337892592!/image/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/900x600/image.jpg

Fuinseog wrote: »
    we partied hard and demanded the government spend every penny. we went along with it. any fool would have recognised that the bubble would burst at some stage.

Did we? Did everybody? or only those that are complaining the loudest now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

Pilotdude5 wrote: »
    I'm still waiting for this to blow..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Richard_Montgomery

SS Richard Montgomery was an American Liberty ship built during World War II, one of the 2,710 used to carry cargo during the war. The ship was wrecked off the Nore in the Thames Estuary in 1944 with around 1,400 tonnes (1,500 short tons) of explosives on board,[1] which continue to be a hazard to the area.

similar story to that one but on a more massive scale

off the welsh coast , in the irish sea the brits dumped all spare munitions from ww1 and a sizable amount from ww2 ( a deep trench on the sea bed )

now apparently they think it might have been a bit of a woopsie seeing it all might go boom one day , being under water does not prevent a ignition and then a jolly good whhhhhoooooshsshhshsh

dont want to be on the sealink when that goes up - they guy i heard on newstalk said that if it does go up the noise will be heard as far away as paris - amsterdam - dublin - belfast - glasgow and poss copenhagen :eek:

( i have no link to confirm this - i heard it on the wireless )

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Franticfrank

Yeah, really this is everyday news in Germany. They find these things almost daily and its rare for someone to get hurt. Just some evacuations. I think 2 or 3 years ago, some construction workers were drilling on the autobahn and struck an American bomb. There wasn't much of the JCB left...

• Advertisement

I’m going to have to go off topic here, but…..
    "SMALL isolated groups"

Yes I did, although that article is grossly understated @ 77’000 people. The actual figure, according to Laurence Rees, from his documentary film ‘The Nazis, A Warning from History', 1997, is closer to 250’000.
    The reason I didn’t post the episode in question, is that I cant put my hand on it, amongst the 250+ similar Documentaries I have in my possession on the subject.
    Of course they had opposition, but they also had a large slice of the electorate that voted for them(mid 40s%),so they were hardly a small unsupported group that gained power by illegal means. Ands its not as if they hid their agenda from the German people. Bar the "Final Solution" which had not yet been dreamt up, their policies were well known.

The Nazis fed into Germany's mistreatment under the Versailles treaty. The overwhelming majority of mainstream historians today will freely acknowledge, that this mistreatment, was the readily available fuel that brought the Nazis to power.

The Nazis fed on latent Anti Semitism that existed throughout Europe, not just Germany. In fact, before Hitler’s rise, it is also widely acknowledged that Jews enjoyed more freedom and assimilation into German society, than most any other country in Europe. Hardly surprising that Yiddish is derived from Bayerisch (Bavarian German). A Jewish Rabbi, today, speaking Yiddish, could easily converse with a Bavarian Farmer speaking Bayerisch. If you’re looking for ethnocentric hatred of Jews in Europe, in the late 19th and early 20th century, look no further than France. Dreyfuss Affair ??

It’s interesting to note though, that there was a Jewish delegation of 110 present at Versailles.
    The Nazis, no doubt, cashed in on this.
    And while I sympathise with any innocent casualties caused by any bombing( my earler "bomb the **** out of them" line was a bad joke and showed poor taste and I apoligise)

Apology acknowledged and accepted, with the utmost sincerity.
    many of the people killed in the bombings in Dresden and other German cities, probably would have cheered at the newsreels of German victorys( and Bombings) in other citys.

Many Germans believed their own propaganda, that they were forced into that war. What else would you expect the average Joe, or Hans to do ??
    It seems to me that a lot of the blame for atrocities caused by the nazis tries to airbrush the German people out of the equation. It would be a hard sell by Europes politicians to sell political, financial and social integration to its citizens, when the largest country in that group would have systmatically slaughtered millions of their brethern just a few decades earlier. And so, the general concensus among political, media and assorted interested groups is to disassociate the two.

All of the people responsible, and nearly all of those that took part, are dead.
    What do you want their Children and Grandchildren to do ? Eat roots and wear hair shirts for the next hundred years ?
    Also, Marcsignal.
    While your sisters inlaws may well have been completely innocent, there wern't many germans coming forward after the war claiming to be fervent followers of Hitler and admirers of his ideology. Not saying your sisters inlaws are lying, but many did

I have to acknowledge, that that may very well be true. Having said that, I firmly believe, that if we (the people of the world) are to learn anything from the lessons of WW2, it is to remain cognisant of, and alert at all times, to Propaganda. There’s a lot of it flying around today, from some of the victors of WW2, and unfortunately, it is being used, to perpetuate their own wars, for their own gains, be they Idealistic, or Economic. It seems we have learned little.

I’m not in the business of falling out with anyone on this thread, so let’s just agree to disagree, on certain points, and return to the subject of the OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Nothing on the web or news here yet.

LOL x 6,000

Why should it be on the news here:confused:

imme wrote: »
    LOL x 6,000

Why should it be on the news here:confused:

why should bombs in Afghanistan be on the news here ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭2ygb4cmqetsjhx

I live across the road from this. Really nothing to see. This is the fifth case in Munich this year although it seems this bomb is a bit more tricky to defuse they are not sure what to do with it. They can't move it. Its a pain in the hole and I better get to go home tonight. Also I know tonnes of other Irish people in this area evacuated. I didn't realsie there were so many in Munich

You can follow live updates albeit in German here http://www.abendzeitung-muenchen.de/inhalt.bombenfund-in-schwabing-az-liveticker:-bombe-entschaerfen-oder-sprengen.0db9be54-42ba-48a5-a7ad-3e7584954b17.html

why should bombs in Afghanistan be on the news here ??
    that's a whole other minefield

seriously though, you're straying into politics, new world order :D etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,668 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

"SMALL isolated groups"
    And while I sympathise with any innocent casualties caused by any bombing( my earler "bomb the **** out of them" line was a bad joke and showed poor taste and I apoligise), many of the people killed in the bombings in Dresden and other German cities, probably would have cheered at the newsreels of German victorys( and Bombings) in other citys.
    Also, Marcsignal.
    While your sisters inlaws may well have been completely innocent, there wern't many germans coming forward after the war claiming to be fervent followers of Hitler and admirers of his ideology.
    Not saying your sisters inlaws are lying, but many did

Are you suggesting that the Germans who born long after the war should still be held accountable for these crimes? The people who supported Hitler will be will into their 70s and most of those who voted for him would be dead by now.

The reason for the disassociation is simply that theer are no comparisions between 1930s Germany and modern Germany.

......it seems this bomb is a bit more tricky to defuse they are not sure what to do with it. [/url]

German efficiency how are you. :rolleyes:

Safe Home.

imme wrote: »
    that's a whole other minefield

seriously though, you're straying into politics, new world order :D etc

wtf are you on about ???

Germany, like us are part of the EU. So we should be totally unconcerned about a bomb (that could go off at any time) in another EU partners city ?? Like Ikky Poo 2 said earlier, more than Germans are affected by this.
    I personally know loads of Irish living in Munich, and some in Schwabing.

I’m not in the business of falling out with anyone on this thread, so let’s just agree to disagree, on certain points, and return to the subject of the OP.

I certainly don't want to fall out with you either and we'll have to accept we're not going to agree on much on this subject.

Boombastic wrote: »
    Did we? Did everybody? or only those that are complaining the loudest now?

Another tangent! Yay!

But to answer your question, anyone with some common sense could tell you that inflated house prices and 100% mortgages over 40 years were never good long term ideas.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement