Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Breaking News - WW2 UXB found in Schwabing, Munich

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

marcsignal wrote: »
    wtf are you on about ???

Germany, like us are part of the EU. So we should be totally unconcerned about a bomb (that could go off at any time) in another EU partners city ?? Like Ikky Poo 2 said earlier, more than Germans are affected by this.
    I personally know loads of Irish living in Munich, and some in Schwabing.

This is After Hours you know OP. Well, you chose to post in AH so I guess you should know that it is AH.

Back to the topic, even though this is AH.

Not a thing for people in Ireland to be concerned about imo. You need to relax.

Earlier you asked why news of bombs in Afghanistan should be on the news in Ireland when I asked why news of a WWII bomb should be of news in Ireland.

Well, I don't think an historical bomb is comparable to a bomb placed by someone in Afghanistan trying to kill people today.

There will be no new WWII bombs, but there could be new Afghan bombs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

With the amount of bombs dropped during the war, I'm surprised this kinda discovery isn't more common.

They do tend to explode a lot...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

imme wrote: »
    This is After Hours you know OP. Well, you chose to post in AH so I guess you should know that it is AH.

Yep, I know here I am, and unless you're a re-reg, I've known it 5 years longer than you ;)
    Earlier you asked why news of bombs in Afghanistan should be on the news in Ireland when I asked why news of a WWII bomb should be of news in Ireland.

Because Munich is in Germany, in the EU, and thousands of Irish are living, visiting, and studying there.
    Well, I don't think an historical bomb is comparable to a bomb placed by someone in Afghanistan trying to kill people today.

There are about 10 Irish people in the vast expanse that is Afghanistan. Some members of our Defence Forces, and probably some Aid Workers. Why should we be even remotely concerned, when some Afghan fuzzy wuzzy straps a bomb to himself, and blows a load of British or American soldiers up ? That war is none of our business.

There will be no new WWII bombs, but there could be new Afghan bombs.

You couldn't be more wrong, there are estimated to be 4'000 UXBs in Berlin alone, and between 2006 and 2009, approx 15,000 WW2 ordnance devices were found in the UK.

Not new devices, but still bloody dangerous.

Posting this in AH was for reach purposes only. Posting in in Humanities, or Needlework wouldn't have had quite the same effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭2ygb4cmqetsjhx

Ga this is bollocks. They are trying to defuse it with remote control now. If they fail then they cannot do a controlled detonation until tomorrow which means anotehr night of this ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,668 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Ga this is bollocks. They are trying to defuse it with remote control now. If they fail then they cannot do a controlled detonation until tomorrow which means anotehr night of this ****e.

Webcam oder Gehen Sie die **** aus!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

With the amount of bombs dropped during the war, I'm surprised this kinda discovery isn't more common.

Its very common to find unexploded bombs from WW2

A few are found every year .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭2ygb4cmqetsjhx

That link I posted earlier is saying defusing these things can take two weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

dj jarvis wrote: »
    similar story to that one but on a more massive scale

off the welsh coast , in the irish sea the brits dumped all spare munitions from ww1 and a sizable amount from ww2 ( a deep trench on the sea bed )

now apparently they think it might have been a bit of a woopsie seeing it all might go boom one day , being under water does not prevent a ignition and then a jolly good whhhhhoooooshsshhshsh

dont want to be on the sealink when that goes up - they guy i heard on newstalk said that if it does go up the noise will be heard as far away as paris - amsterdam - dublin - belfast - glasgow and poss copenhagen :eek:

( i have no link to confirm this - i heard it on the wireless )

Found this fascinating, googled it, not sure this is the same one:

"The munitions dump in the Beaufort's Dyke trench, off Stranraer - which holds more than 1 million tons of bombs, rockets and shells, including 14,000 tons of rockets with phosgene poison gas warheads,is seven times larger than previously thought."

"More dangerous chemical weapons were disposed of in deep water further out to sea.The letter also details operation Sandcastle, in 1955-56, in which 71,000 quarter-ton German bombs filled with the nerve gas tabun were loaded into the hulks of three merchant ships and dumped between 2,000 and 2,4000m down, 80 miles north-west of Ireland."

1 megaton in Beaufort's Dyke? (although, in fairness, much of that might not still be dangerous). Yikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Hundreds of people are killed every year in Laos by unexploded bombs which were dropped during the Vietnam War and you rarely hear a peep about it. Can you imagine the pressure that would be put on the UK & US etc to pay for the cleanup if that was happening in Germany today. Afaik the US have never paid the Lao people any reparations for the loss of life since the war ended, and they've only given a relatively tiny amount of money to pay to clean up the mess they left behind.

• Advertisement

Spiegel Online article with pics.

Hundreds of people are killed every year in Laos by unexploded bombs which were dropped during the Vietnam War and you rarely hear a peep about it. Can you imagine the pressure that would be put on the UK & US etc to pay for the cleanup if that was happening in Germany today. Afaik the US have never paid the Lao people any reparations for the loss of life since the war ended, and they've only given a relatively tiny amount of money to pay to clean up the mess they left behind.

I thought I heard something recently about the U.S. to soon send people in there on a large scale to try to clean all that up. This is all I can find on it at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Thinly veiled "my relatives live in the plush city district of Schwabing" thread

Cienciano wrote: »
    Thinly veiled "my relatives live in the plush city district of Schwabing" thread

None of my relatives live in Schwabing. Some of them work there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

who_me wrote: »
    Found this fascinating, googled it, not sure this is the same one:

"The munitions dump in the Beaufort's Dyke trench, off Stranraer - which holds more than 1 million tons of bombs, rockets and shells, including 14,000 tons of rockets with phosgene poison gas warheads,is seven times larger than previously thought."

"More dangerous chemical weapons were disposed of in deep water further out to sea.The letter also details operation Sandcastle, in 1955-56, in which 71,000 quarter-ton German bombs filled with the nerve gas tabun were loaded into the hulks of three merchant ships and dumped between 2,000 and 2,4000m down, 80 miles north-west of Ireland."

1 megaton in Beaufort's Dyke? (although, in fairness, much of that might not still be dangerous). Yikes.

the guy i heard said that in fact it get more unstable as time goes by , it very well could be the same one , and by all accounts , if and when it goes we will not miss it , can you post the link to where you found your info ? i would be really into reading more about it , cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ZETOR_IS_BETTER

Can we not mention the war please :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Mike Godwin would love this thread.

• Advertisement

None of my relatives live in Schwabing.
    An unexploded WW2 Bomb has just been found in the plush city district of Schwabing in Munich.
    Just got a phone call about this 10 mins ago, from relatives living there.

Did they move out of the plush city district when the bomb was found ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Yep, I know here I am, and unless you're a re-reg, I've known it 5 years longer than you ;)(1)

Because Munich is in Germany, in the EU, and thousands of Irish are living, visiting, and studying there. (2)

There are about 10 Irish people in the vast expanse that is Afghanistan. Some members of our Defence Forces, and probably some Aid Workers. Why should we be even remotely concerned, when some Afghan fuzzy wuzzy straps a bomb to himself, and blows a load of British or American soldiers up ? That war is none of our business. (3)

You couldn't be more wrong, there are estimated to be 4'000 UXBs in Berlin alone, and between 2006 and 2009, approx 15,000 WW2 ordnance devices were found in the UK.

Not new devices, but still bloody dangerous. (4)

Posting this in AH was for reach purposes only. Posting in in Humanities, or Needlework wouldn't have had quite the same effect. (5)

(1) Is this the first day of school. :cool:

(2) Hurricane in Florida, there are Irish people there. Floods in Myanmar, there are Irish people there. Your point?

(3) News is made and reported by the media. Your non story wasn't reported in Ireland because it is a non story in Ireland, to Irish people in Ireland.

(4) There is no new stock of WWII bombs. Bombs that were dropped in WWII are still waiting to be discovered but as you acknowledge there are no new bombs, the war is over, whereas the war in Afghanistan is live and continuing.

(5) "Reach Purposes",:confused: whatever.

There is a Military section you know:P. Yes, I know you know before you say 'I know". :p

(1) Is this the first day of school. :cool:

(2) Hurricane in Florida, there are Irish people there. Floods in Myanmar, there are Irish people there. Your point?

(3) News is made and reported by the media. Your non story wasn't reported in Ireland because it is a non story in Ireland, to Irish people in Ireland.

(4) There is no new stock of WWII bombs. Bombs that were dropped in WWII are still waiting to be discovered but as you acknowledge there are no new bombs, the war is over, whereas the war in Afghanistan is live and continuing.

(5) "Reach Purposes",:confused: whatever.

There is a Military section you know:P. Yes, I know you know before you say 'I know". :p

(1-5) Listen 'Bell End' I couldn't give a tuppenny, fuck if you are alive or dead, nevermind what you actually think :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Webcam oder Gehen Sie die **** aus!

Heir ist ein Webcam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

They freely elected a party that pushed for a war. And got it.
    And you need to look at the devastation their bombers caused through out Europe.
    Sickens me, that as time goes by, people try to disassociate the Nazis from the general German population.
    Its not like they were a seperate ethnic group. The nazis were German. And at the time the Germans were HAPPY to be nazis.
    Seperate thread probably. Rant over

Most of the war time Nazi's are dead now.

Move on. Like the rest of Europe has.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

A lot of the older generations of Poland, France, Belgium, Holland etc havn't moved on and can't.
    As can't the survivors and their children move on from the concentration camps. Such was the mental scars left by the atrocities committed there.
    Those who cannot remember the past, are doomed to repeat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭marzic

O holy good fcuk! I was just in a bar down there with my mate...

in November 1998

marzic wrote: »
    O holy good fcuk! I was just in a bar down there with my mate...

Was it 'plush' ?

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

A lot of the older generations of Poland, France, Belgium, Holland etc havn't moved on and can't.
    As can't the survivors and their children move on from the concentration camps. Such was the mental scars left by the atrocities committed there.
    There is a difference between remembering the past, and holding a grudge, and it was the holding of a grudge that allowed the whole bloody mess to get going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,668 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I hate this line. History is all about the repition of mistakes. WW2 happened because Hitler came to power mainly by protesting the "unfair" reparations of the treaty of Versailles, and now you;er saying we should make Germany continuously suffer again??

Or what are you propsing?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

dj jarvis wrote: »
    similar story to that one but on a more massive scale

off the welsh coast , in the irish sea the brits dumped all spare munitions from ww1 and a sizable amount from ww2 ( a deep trench on the sea bed )
    Actually most of it is between Northern Ireland and Scotland.
    One million tonnes and includes nasty things like phosphorus and nerve gas http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4032629.stm
    He told the programme: "Most of the weapons dumped in the Beaufort's Dyke... weren't designed to go under water.

"There are sporadic explosions two or three times a month, I should think, in the Irish Sea, popping off all the time."

Asked whether the oldest munitions in the Dyke were losing their ability to withstand corrosion, Mr Fellows said: "Yes. They are getting old and they're liable to go bang."

A local councillor in Northern Ireland, Oliver McMullan, told Costing The Earth the Dyke contained sarin and tabun (both nerve gases), phosgene, mustard gas and explosives.

Incendiary bombs containing phosphate used to drift onto the shore each winter, said Mr McMullan.

http://www.kimointernational.org/DumpingatSea.aspx
    "Estimates suggest that in excess of one million tonnes of munitions were dumped in Beaufort's Dyke (Irish Sea), some 168,000 tonnes in Skagerrak and some 300,000 tonnes in the North Sea...There are 148 individual dumpsites spread from Iceland to Gibralter."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Spiegel Online article with pics.

I thought I heard something recently about the U.S. to soon send people in there on a large scale to try to clean all that up. This is all I can find on it at the moment.

Was this not regarding a proposed partial cleanup of Agent Orange?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

Actually most of it is between Northern Ireland and Scotland.
    One million tonnes and includes nasty things like phosphorus and never gas http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4032629.stm

http://www.kimointernational.org/DumpingatSea.aspx

quote of the thread "Yes. They are getting old and they're liable to go bang."

is that a line from 50 shades of grey ???

Lapin wrote: »
    Was it 'plush' ?

;)

Positiv üppig Liebling!:pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It's a big problem.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/germany/7797710/German-bomb-disposal-experts-killed-while-trying-to-defuse-US-bomb.html
    Three German bomb disposal experts were killed when the Second World War bomb they were trying to defuse exploded.
    Builders discovered the device 24 feet underground while working on the construction of a sports stadium in a densely populated area.
    More than 2,000 tons of American and British aerial bombs are discovered in Germany each year,
    "The last few years we've found that the detonators we take out of such bombs are increasingly brittle," he said in 2008.

"We had three extracted detonators go off with a pissssh sound while they were being transported away, all it took was a bit of vibration.

"One day such bombs will be so sensitive that no one will be able to handle them."

Now consider Cambodia, from October 1965 to August 1973, the United States dropped a staggering 2,756,941 tons of ordnance there. Also between 4 to 6 million land mines.

:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

Boombastic wrote: »
    That's explosive news!

I laughed atthat for about 10min. Your username makes it somuch better. :D:D:D

Well they finally let it off -

527172_10151208988560429_681195543_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Lapin wrote: »
    Well they finally let it off -

527172_10151208988560429_681195543_n.jpg

Links?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Someone around here, ahem, might have found a hand grenade his auld lad kept as a WW2 "momento" in the attic and brought it to school for a "show and tell" jobbie, unbeknownst to parents.:o This might have led to quite a schamozzle, several large lies, an unbelievable amount of blue lights and the discovery(eventually:D)that the fuse had been removed long ago. Said youngfella went right off "show and tell" sessions after that, apparently... On another note, if there's nerve gas dumped underwater, would one of two things happen? 1, it gets dissolved and absorbed by aquatic organisms, or 2. It bubbles to the surface and is released into the environment. Probably best not to be too close to either eventuality?

Links?

Yup.

There is a difference between remembering the past, and holding a grudge, and it was the holding of a grudge that allowed the whole bloody mess to get going.

Probably easier to not hold a grudge when we are so far removed, geographically, historically and emotionally from the events that ocurred.
    I read a book recently(name escapes me at the moment) that chronicled the lives of some of the suvivors of the concentration camps. The interviews continued up untill the early 90s and the scars on the lives of these people and their decendants is clear to see and humbling to read.
    Do I hold a grudge against the German people of today.No
    Do I hold a grudge against their parents and grandparents. Most certainly yes.
    What struck me over the years of reading, listening and watching stories about the years of nazi dominance in Germany, was the lack of willingness to accept blame by the general German population for their part in the events that happened. Plenty of shame that these things happened on German soil and were perpetrated by German people. But they never seemed to want to accept their own individual roles in it. Claims of ignorance and innocence peppered their conversations on the past. These claims seem incredulous, when the scale of what happened is fully appreciated.
    Its hard to forgive a nation that won't accept its own complicity in the society they created.

Not really much to see, but fwiw....

So how did we get from this...
    I think its a good thing that the Germans are reminded that once upon a time, people used to stand up to them. And bombed the **** out of them.

... and this ...
    They freely elected a party that pushed for a war. And got it.
    And you need to look at the devastation their bombers caused through out Europe.
    Sickens me, that as time goes by, people try to disassociate the Nazis from the general German population.
    Its not like they were a seperate ethnic group. The nazis were German. And at the time the Germans were HAPPY to be nazis.
    Seperate thread probably. Rant over

... to this?
    Do I hold a grudge against the German people of today.No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭n900guy

What struck me over the years of reading, listening and watching stories about the years of nazi dominance in Germany, was the lack of willingness to accept blame by the general German population for their part in the events that happened. Plenty of shame that these things happened on German soil and were perpetrated by German people. But they never seemed to want to accept their own individual roles in it. Claims of ignorance and innocence peppered their conversations on the past. These claims seem incredulous, when the scale of what happened is fully appreciated.
    Its hard to forgive a nation that won't accept its own complicity in the society they created.

Well then I hope you feel personally responsible for the economic crisis in Ireland. After all, you are here, complacent, voted for either the previous government or current government, and you personally are responsible directly for the actions of the government. They answer your bat-phone directly.

Confusing the political ambitions of governments with the people who are but for notions of democracy mostly powerless under threat of death or imprisonment is ludicrous. It;s like blaming Americans for the political decisions to firebomb Dresden, invade Iraq or allow 1 million Germans to die in "Allied" internement camps after WW2.

Your children will blame you personally I presume for the current Irish economic crisis. Perhaps you will live with that guilt forever, only ever uttering when they ask "wir wussten nicht".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I think its a good thing that the Germans are reminded that once upon a time, people used to stand up to them. And bombed the **** out of them.

We should show them whos boss and refuse their money.

It's a big problem.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/germany/7797710/German-bomb-disposal-experts-killed-while-trying-to-defuse-US-bomb.html

Now consider Cambodia, from October 1965 to August 1973, the United States dropped a staggering 2,756,941 tons of ordnance there. Also between 4 to 6 million land mines.

:(

Looks like the land mine guys might have some explaining to do to Internal Audit...

IA: So which was it? 4 million or 6 million?

LMG: I'm not all together sure, i mean we... we're not sure. It was certainly at least 4 million and how I know that is cos i had 4 million, I mean we, we had 4 million and we ran out:o, in 1973, in July. But then there was this other guy had a couple of million and he had some left over but I dont know how many, cos I wasn't speaking to him about it. Had i been speaking to him I would know, but then it was over, and we just, ah, went home.

IA: So who was this other guy? what was his name?

LMG: Oh he was in the army too but not where we were... somewhere else. Um, let me see, it was like... Bud, or Buddy... or maybe it was Bill... you know I, I really dont remember cos i wasn't speaking to him and I would have asked his name but I wasnt... I really dont know.

IA: Do you know that from October 1965 to August 1973, the United States Military dropped 2,756,941 tons of ordnance?

LMG: No, no I didnt know that. Wow.

IA: Do you know how I know that?

LMG: um... someone told you?

IA: Exactly, someone told me. Who do you think that might be?

LMG: ... the ordnance guys?

IA: You got it, the ordnance guys! now, how'd you suppose they knew that?

LMG: ... IA: BECAUSE THEY KEPT FCUKING COUNT!

The other side to this, of course, is that if a Hiter-type character ever came to power in Ireland and brought in far-right polices, you just know he'd be supporte to the hilt.

I apologised for that "bomb the **** out of them" line several hours ago, but keep quoting it, if it makes ye feel better.
    I'm pretty sure I would have stopped dancing to the Celtic tiger reel had I'd seen my neighbours dragged from their homes and thrown onto trucks and trains bound for god knows where. The same sentiment doesn't seem to have been shared in 1930s Germany.
    Don't see anything hypocritical in not having a problem with modern germans , while admonishing their ancestors. Maybe someone can enlighten me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Don't see anything hypocritical in not having a problem with modern germans , while admonishing their ancestors. Maybe someone can enlighten me.

That's not what you were doing though... was it.

If you're suggesting that my argument is once a Nazi, always a Nazi, you're mistaken. If any of my posts have suggested this, I apologize. It certainly wasn't my intention. I've discussed/argued my sentiments with a few Germans over the years and whilst most will naturally defend their ancestors, a few have agreed with some of my points. I think its better to have an open debate about these events than to brush the past under the carpet as if the causes and consequences of these events have no bearing on the present. Rather be argued against and ridiculed than not have the discussion. And I've been talkin about this on and off all day and I'm friggin jaded. Good night AHers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

The bomb's been blown up and this thread has deviated into some bull**** argument that has little to do with the OP.

Locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement