Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what's the story with water metering?

• 28-08-2012 11:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭

So we are due water charges next year which will be metered.

I recently noticed some new decorations to the side of my rural road. Colouredy slabs of stones that stick up and out from the road. I'm guessing these must be the water meters.

Wouldn't you expect a meter placed outside of every home/house? Instead they are placed every couple hundred metres apart. Like one for every third/fourth house.

Is that it? Neighbours sharing their water bills or something,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

No need for meters at all I think. A guy with a divining rod would do just as good a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Put a funnel in your chimney and a bucket in your fireplace and get free water when it rains!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I'd say they've found a suitably proportioned shelf to place it on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I hate the idea of water meters.

I mean what does tax 'supposedly' pay for?
    Gotta buy bin tags now.
    Gotta pay a household charge.
    Gotta pay a toll on certain roads.
    .. ahh could go on. Whats the point.

The kicker is that when the economy is good again. These taxes will still be there. But I am still waiting for the government to introduce some sort of 'Air' tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

It'll be metered at the tap in each house, they need to know what the individual is actually using so they will cut down on people disputing the figures

Link

The link above is a reason for doing this, which probably means its the reason why it wont be done this way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭greenpilot

donalg1 wrote: »
    It'll be metered at the tap in each house, they need to know what the individual is actually using so they will cut down on people disputing the figures

Link

The link above is a reason for doing this, which probably means its the reason why it wont be done this way.

For those of you living under rocks, most of us have been paying for our water using meters at each house through our local group water schemes. We pay every year for it. Of course, you don't hear us bitching about it. Probably because we don't live in Dublin. It's simple...turn on the tap and you can see what you pay for. Which Is why most of us didn't pay the household charge. Services? What services? Our nearest street light is 6 miles away. Our road is like something you see in Chad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I hate the idea of water meters.

I mean what does tax 'supposedly' pay for?
    Gotta buy bin tags now.
    Gotta pay a household charge.
    Gotta pay a toll on certain roads.
    .. ahh could go on. Whats the point.

The kicker is that when the economy is good again. These taxes will still be there. But I am still waiting for the government to introduce some sort of 'Air' tax.
    Taxes pay the salary of people who come up with taxes.

Also, Prisons, Cops, Doctors, Nurses, Education, Defence.

But a lot of the money goes to cnuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

greenpilot wrote: »
    For those of you living under rocks, most of us have been paying for our water using meters at each house through our local group water schemes. We pay every year for it. Of course, you don't hear us bitching about it. Probably because we don't live in Dublin. It's simple...turn on the tap and you can see what you pay for. Which Is why most of us didn't pay the household charge. Services? What services? Our nearest street light is 6 miles away. Our road is like something you see in Chad.

Well the nearest street light to me is probably further than the 6 miles. I paid the HHC and will have to pay the water charges when they meter my house, I am on the public water line not a rural group scheme. I also had to get a water softener put in which cost around €700 as there was so much lime in the water it was eating my shower heads on a monthly basis even with me cleaning it for hours each week. So I could only imagine what it was doing to the rest of the appliances in the house.

The plan was to have every house metered by the end of this year (there's even training courses if you want to get involved)but seeing as they have'nt started yet and the Property Tax being introduced next year and I think it's an election year after that,it may be some time before your house is metered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭stevedublin

But I am still waiting for the government to introduce some sort of 'Air' tax.

Shhh! The troika could be reading this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Goldilocks and the 3 bears?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Will they give a discount if you push collected rainwater into the system?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭hoochis

eth0 wrote: »
    Will they give a discount if you push collected rainwater into the system?

You will only be charged for the water you use from the public supply. If you can reduce what water you use from this supply with rainwater then you will pay less.

ATM I am paying €1.10 per 1000 litres and a Network management charge of €105 per year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

It rains enough here to hydrate an African country out of drought ffs, half our water is lost through holes in the pipe network and that's at ****ing least, tap water tastes like crap, we're in the minority of European countries that puts floride in the ****ing water, the amount of dirt a Brita filter takes out of the water is galling.

I don't like the way this country operates.

It rains enough here to hydrate an African country out of drought ffs, half our water is lost through holes in the pipe network and that's at ****ing least, tap water tastes like crap, we're in the minority of European countries that puts floride in the ****ing water, the amount of dirt a Brita filter takes out of the water is galling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

Yea. there has been a boil notice on our water for last 4-5 weeks and i only found out by chance there last week. Most people in the area still dont know about it

and then they expect us to pay for water...... when it made me have stomach cramps for a week.... :confused:

You have a habit of double posting dont you? (:

hoochis wrote: »
    You have a habit of double posting dont you? (:
    My computer screen is broken so I'm on my ps3. I can't edit or delete once I've posted, I also can only post using quick reply, I just don't know, it's making me want to run out of the house with a metal pole and attack people that are smaller than me.
    If this double posts I'm out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Water smart metering bad news.

Your smart water meter knows every move you make inside your home whether your present or not. Every time you take a p*iss and flush the toilet it knows exactly how much you have used, whether you are taking too long in the shower, and decides to ration you from a remote database, and the evil Bas*stards can shut your water off completely?

No problem indeed.

Our silence is our consent for oppressive control of our lives.

Texas woman pulls a gun to stop smart meter installation LOL. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

think the parents will end up drilling a well if this goes ahead. Water is of better quality and there is no **** in it. Maby run it through a filter. Working out cheaper than they thought.
    Prehaps have some rainwater harvesting system for gardens and tiolets.

Can see alot more people doing this. Dont know the numbers but i want to see how long it would take to pay for itself. Anyone any ideas or estamates?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ArseLtd

I fcuking hate fluoridated water, I couldn't drink half a glass of it. Well water all the way until fluoride is gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

think the parents will end up drilling a well if this goes ahead. Water is of better quality and there is no **** in it. Maby run it through a filter. Working out cheaper than they thought.
    Prehaps have some rainwater harvesting system for gardens and tiolets.

Can see alot more people doing this. Dont know the numbers but i want to see how long it would take to pay for itself. Anyone any ideas or estamates?
    Only a few weeks ago the state of Oregon jailed a guy for collecting rainwater.

http://www.naturalnews.com/036615_Oregon_rainwater_permaculture.html

Now the state is spending millions of dollars poisoning those that obey the law.

Portland, Oregon to spend $5 million to poison its residents with toxic fluoride

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Water meters are necessary to collect money to cover the cost of providing and installing the water meters and to cover the staff needed to run the service. :pac::pac:

Only a few weeks ago the state of Oregon jailed a guy for collecting rainwater.

http://www.naturalnews.com/036615_Oregon_rainwater_permaculture.html

Now the state is spending millions of dollars poisoning those that obey the law.

Portland, Oregon to spend $5 million to poison its residents with toxic fluoride

I think he was jailed because he diverted over 10 million gallons of water from a creek! He wasn't simply collecting a little bit of rainwater!

You will only be charged for the water you use from the public supply. If you can reduce what water you use from this supply with rainwater then you will pay less.

ATM I am paying €1.10 per 1000 litres and a Network management charge of €105 per year.

Im on about pushing excess rainwater into the network with a pump. Will the meter run backwards?

Im on about pushing excess rainwater into the network with a pump. Will the meter run backwards?

What kind of pressure would build up if people did that?

Meter would probably run backwards if the flow was reversed but I imagine there would be a one way valve fitted by the meter so this would not be possible. Even if you could pump water back through the meter, would it be worth it? You would need a fairly strong pump to work against the pressure! Also you could be contaminating the public water supply!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Just checking. Are council houses getting the meters put in? If you are renting from the council, are you exempt?

Can't see them having all the houses done by the end of the year mind. It'll probably take a good while for that to happen. And I also can't imagine the price of water being that much. How much could it possibly cost?

Meter would probably run backwards if the flow was reversed but I imagine there would be a one way valve fitted by the meter so this would not be possible. Even if you could pump water back through the meter, would it be worth it? You would need a fairly strong pump to work against the pressure! Also you could be contaminating the public water supply!
    They could put in a one way valve but they might also rather pocket the money. The pressure isnt that high in a lot of places but really if i was able to supply decent quality water they should allow me to inject water into the supply as with electricity. It might be cheaper than storing the rain water, pump could run only at night

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Yea. there has been a boil notice on our water for last 4-5 weeks and i only found out by chance there last week. Most people in the area still dont know about it

and then they expect us to pay for water...... when it made me have stomach cramps for a week.... :confused:

Im from Galway.

About 5 years ago my mother came home from Mass with the church leaflet. it had the timings for confessions, and choir practice and written in pencil at the bottom was "Water not safe to drink".

My Dad(being protestant), suggested it was ethnic cleansing, what with only Mass goers getting the info. My parents have bought their drinking water from Lidl ever since.

I do see metering as a good thing. You pay for what you use.

They could put in a one way valve but they might also rather pocket the money. The pressure isnt that high in a lot of places but really if i was able to supply decent quality water they should allow me to inject water into the supply as with electricity. It might be cheaper than storing the rain water, pump could run only at night

Even if you could pump water into the network, I don't think it would be cost effective for the council. They would have to send out a council worker every so often to collect and test the water you are pumping.

Even if you could pump water into the network, I don't think it would be cost effective for the council. They would have to send out a council worker every so often to collect and test the water you are pumping.

With every council worker entitled to a 200e 'getting up off your arse bonus' under the croke park agreement as well as their intention to make a profit out of this it wouldnt be worth it for them at all but that doesnt mean my right to contribute water should be denied. Testing could be done by a private company you send samples in to and occasionally call round to do tests

Having individuals contribute to the system will help competiton and prevent the council from pushing their prices too high

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Elfinknight

syklops wrote: »

I do see metering as a good thing. You pay for what you use.

But it has to be drinkable. The Tap water in the Shannon is just pure **** altogether. The dogs won't even drink it.

We easily have to buy 30 litres of water a week for ourselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

ilovesleep wrote: »
    So we are due water charges next year which will be metered.

I recently noticed some new decorations to the side of my rural road. Colouredy slabs of stones that stick up and out from the road. I'm guessing these must be the water meters.

Wouldn't you expect a meter placed outside of every home/house? Instead they are placed every couple hundred metres apart. Like one for every third/fourth house.

Is that it? Neighbours sharing their water bills or something,

Have they got 'S.V.' wrote on them, if so you're in trouble:eek:

With every council worker entitled to a 200e 'getting up off your arse bonus' under the croke park agreement as well as their intention to make a profit out of this it wouldnt be worth it for them at all but that doesnt mean my right to contribute water should be denied. Testing could be done by a private company you send samples in to and occasionally call round to do tests

Having individuals contribute to the system will help competiton and prevent the council from pushing their prices too high

I cant see the economics of it stack up really! You would have to supply an awful lot of water to cover the cost of a pump, rainwater harvesting equipment, maintenance and water testing. 1000 square feet roof coverage will only supply about 100,000 litres of water per year.

• Advertisement

I cant see the economics of it stack up really! You would have to supply an awful lot of water to cover the cost of a pump, rainwater harvesting equipment, maintenance and water testing. 1000 square feet roof coverage will only supply about 100,000 litres of water.

Don't think they're gonna let any tom,dick or harry pump untreated water into the system either,you'd have a public outcry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

There will be no feed-in tariff eqivalents for water, if you stop and think about even for a second the idea is ludicrous.

Meters are fitted with non-return valves to prevent backflow. if it is an advanced or smart meter this triggers an alarm which is picked up the next time it is read or transmits data, same with leak alarms.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Don't worry about the water meters, the cost, like that for bins will be covered by the household charge.

Won't it ?

kneemos wrote: »
    Don't think they're gonna let any tom,dick or harry pump untreated water into the system either,you'd have a public outcry.

A squirt of domestos in the barrel after a good shower, 2 if its after a dry period and the roof of the shed is covered in bird shyte. Itd be grand sure thats what the council do anyway and charge a fortune for it. Also people contributing wont put in any fluoride.

Ould wans will still be crying out but tis sure to improve the water quality from what we have now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

So many things wrong with this. Apart from the economics of it the Health & Safety issue is paramount. Contamination could not be controlled - you can't really contaminate electricity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Elfinknight

A squirt of domestos in the barrel after a good shower, 2 if its after a dry period and the roof of the shed is covered in bird shyte. Itd be grand sure thats what the council do anyway and charge a fortune for it. Also people contributing wont put in any fluoride.

Ould wans will still be crying out but tis sure to improve the water quality from what we have now

Anything is an improvement on what comes out of our taps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

And I also can't imagine the price of water being that much. How much could it possibly cost?
    I dont think its about the cost of water. Govt coffers more like!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 annoyedatthree

news today ...water meters may well never be put in ...the logistics and money to put them in far outweighs the money that would be recovered let alone the cost of maintaining them and reading..Ireland only has to start charging for water by 2014 under the agreement we are NOT obliged by the agreement to install meters and as such it will be a flat charge for everyone governed by the amount of people living in the house..a flat charge the first year then amended the second year..remind you of anything..I am one of the dumb schmucks that that did the water meter course with chevron..I did it because of the advertisements by the government and also by chevron..I am a plumber by trade but you are only allowed to fit them if youve got a cert so i did the course..it cost €500 euros to do ..non plumbers are being charged a thousand euros to do the course ..the cert only lasts 5 years and there wont be meters put in in 5 years so you will have to do it again bullsxxt:mad: corruption in this country is getting to a point of no return as i here on the news just now that a TD put in a bill of €5000 for travel expenses in 1 month yet never left the country...and had it paid...what a place to live in:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

It now seems its gonna take longer then expected to have domestic water meters installed around the country.

The
    government was dead set on bringing in water charges by 2014, however, according
    to senior water industry sources it looks like 2016 is a more realistic
    target.

For
    a while there, all that everyone could talk about was the introduction of water
    meters. Then, for some reason (most likely the Household Charge) everyone
    stopped talking about them. Well they’re back in the news again and this time it
    looks like they’re going to be delayed. Well we’re not complaining...

Apparently,
    the water meters can’t be installed until the number and location of all the
    stopcocks in your house have been determined and it's taking a lot longer to
    find this out than was originally expected.

Minister
    for the Environment Phil Hogan initially wanted to get work started by the end
    of this year with plans for finishing up in 2014. The government also said that
    it would not charge for water until the meters have been installed across the
    country.

According
    to senior industry sources, the government was a tad off with their prediction
    that it would all be completed by 2014 and that finishing by Spring 2016 would
    still be a difficult target to reach.

http://www.joe.ie/easygoing-joe/relaxation-101/looks-like-we-wont-have-to-worry-about-water-meters-until-2016-0027975-1

PLANS
    TO start installing domestic water meters by the end this year are looking
    increasingly remote because of a lack of information on the location of
    household water supply points.

Water
    meters cannot be installed until the location and number of household stopcocks
    has been determined. Tenders for the supply of meters have yet to be
    advertised.

Senior
    water industry sources now say it would be inconceivable that universal metering
    could be in place by 2014, the date by which the Government has committed to
    charging for water. The sources say it will now be 2016, at the earliest, before
    national metering could be achieved.

In
    addition, they warn the upfront installation of meters by the Government target
    date of 2014, would be prohibitively expensive and could result in households
    being charged more than if a flat charge were used initially.

Minister
    for the Environment Phil Hogan said last April the installation of water metres
    would begin before the end of this year and would be completed by 2014.The
    Government has also said it will not charge for water until meters have been
    installed nationally.

A
    pilot survey to establish the number and location of stopcocks in three local
    authority areas is set to begin in October.

Fingal,
    Kerry and Wexford are understood to be the first counties to be surveyed in an
    attempt to establish how many stopcocks, which are located underground,
    generally just outside property boundaries, are serving homes across the
    State.

The
    pilot surveys alone are likely to take several months to complete. It is not
    known when the remaining 30 local authorities will begin assessing the location
    of their stopcocks.

One
    senior figure in the local authority water sector said it would take about four
    to six months to conduct the pilot surveys.

“I
    can’t see how there’ll be meters in the ground on a national basis in 2014,” the
    source added. “If everything went extremely smoothly in the procurement process
    they could be finished in Spring 2016, but that would be a best case
    scenario

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2012/0831/1224323383072.html
    It its gonna take that long to install water meters-I predict they will attempt to apply a flat rate water charge for the next few years, given if its set to take four years to install the meters.

Advertisement