Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to Get Organic Wine in cork City?

Options
  • 28-08-2012 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone here know where I can get organic wine in Cork city? Are there any particular off licenses or perhaps health food shops you can recommend?

Thank you,
    Brian
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

brian1991 wrote: »
    Hi,

Does anyone here know where I can get organic wine in Cork city? Are there any particular off licenses or perhaps health food shops you can recommend?

Thank you,
    Brian

The Wine Buff in Oliver Plunkett Street will have a selection for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'd also try Bradley's on North Main Street - easily the best all round off licence in the city (ie. for beer wine and spirits all in one shop).

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

What's the significance of organic wine? Is it that they don't use sulphides or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭eurokev

Galvins on bandon road do two or three brands. Douce Nature a french red and white and a spanish one I cant remember the name of

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭irishcrazyhorse

The organic co-op by sober lane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭MattKane

All good suggestions above. Also our place, Curious Wines, we've a good selection of organic wines here in Cork. Of the 400 wines maybe 40-50 are organic.

Wouldn't be entirely convinced by the benefits of organic viticulture, both in terms of quality and consumer health, but know quite a few who swear by it.

MattKane wrote: »
    Wouldn't be entirely convinced by the benefits of organic viticulture, both in terms of quality and consumer health, but know quite a few who swear by it.

I'd second that. "Organic" is no guarantee of quality no more than Fair Trade.

As with other products e.g. vegetables, meat, bread, beer etc. good producers often don't feel the need to be classified. Talk to your wine merchant and he'll steer you toward the clean stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

What's the significance of organic wine? Is it that they don't use sulphides or something?
    All wine contains sulphites. It's a natually occuring chemical. Unlike most wines, organic wine has no extra sulphites added to it to preserve in-bottle freshness, such as sulphur dioxide. It's also wine made without the use of artificial chemical fertilizers and pesticides.

grenache wrote: »
    ... organic wine has no extra sulphites added to it to preserve in-bottle freshness, such as sulphur dioxide. It's also wine made without the use of artificial chemical fertilizers and pesticides.

Well that's just a small part of it.. there's no one definition of "organic" as each country/region/appellation can have it's own criteria. If someone is looking for an 'organic' wine I just presume they're looking for a chemical free cleanly made wine.

Advertisement