Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anywhere around athlone to practise driving?

Options
  • 28-08-2012 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭

looking for a quiet road or large carpark area to help a friend practice driving before they they get insured on the open road. i can think of a few places in the ballinasloe area but it would be easier to find a spot nearby.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

B & Q car park is grand and quiet in the evenings up at the back and there are a few little T junctions there to practice on. There's a good big empty space with no obstacles as well for practicing moving off and stopping or whatever. It's handy as well if you want to try a few small roads on an estate because beech park and arcadia are just up around the corner and are usually quiet. If all goes well you could get them to have a quick fly over the bypass from there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Around the same area, great big open car park at the back of Coosan Church. It's off the road, so they won't have anyone watching them.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

never realised coosan church had such a large carpark.
    thanks for those suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭xo.mary

Willow Park is good! It's fairly quiet and has loads of turns, ramps and stops etc which is handy for practicing.

The regional sports centre is usually pretty quiet at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Carparks in shopping centres and industrial estates etc. are considered public places, therefore car insurance is required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

xo.mary wrote: »
    Willow Park is good! It's fairly quiet and has loads of turns, ramps and stops etc which is handy for practicing.

The regional sports centre is usually pretty quiet at the weekend.

+1 on Willow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

The IDA Business park across done lidl

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

I took a few spins around there before my test. Grand and quiet in the evenings and few roundabouts to get the hang of things.
    xo.mary wrote:

Driving instructor used to take me in through Willow when I was having lessons.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I'd find the IDA much better and safer than Willow and it also has what you need. The IDA is great for round-abouts, junctions, parking, reversing around corners and 3 point turns plus hills for hill starts. It's very quiet there after 6, so you'll have no worries regarding pedestrians and/or traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Itzy wrote: »
    I'd find the IDA much better and safer than Willow and it also has what you need. The IDA is great for round-abouts, junctions, parking, reversing around corners and 3 point turns plus hills for hill starts. It's very quiet there after 6, so you'll have no worries regarding pedestrians and/or traffic.

will head for a spin over that direction one of the evenings so. thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement