Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will.i.am song to blast out from Mars

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ITS_A_BADGER

ah so heres the song at last

Tbh i dont think its great :pac:

Also if the thing pauses after you start it, its beacuse the uploader has a countdown on it it will resume in like 20 seconds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

Rhyming 'high' with 'high' and 'far' with 'far', step up from his usual material I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

This would be a great little mind**** to hear from Mars

I'd be happy if Mars was the only place you could hear that Willy track.
    God it's woeful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

While I'd still tstick to my earlier opinion that art cannot be objectively good or bad, that is one pretty horrific tune imo.
    I don't think the children's vocal accompaniment works at all. Lyrics are totally unimaginative.

And I know the sky might be high
    But baby it ain’t really that high
    I know that mars might be far,
    but baby it ain't really that far.

:confused:

Perhaps the young 'uns will feel differently about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

later12 wrote: »

I know that mars might be far,
    but baby it ain't really that far.

:confused:

maybe he's talking about the relative orbit. maybe he wrote the first line when mars was on the other side of the sun from us? And the second line when it was closer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Autotune with orchestra garbage.

Considering they put all sorts of music and sounds on the golden discs in the 2 Voyagers they really could have used something more appropriate.

Then again, he's hip and happening so it benefits NASA to have this sort of public attention, one they always fight to get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭IceFjoem

BrendaN_f wrote: »
    what makes them the same (in terms of "goodness") is the fact that there isn't (and can't be) a definition of what constitutes good music

I'd argue that the words 'good' and 'bad' are inappropriate terms for a debate such as this seeing as 'good' and 'bad' are pretty subjective in the first place. So, yes I agree with you insofar as there can't be a definition of "good" music, but I do believe that all music is of varying quality though, and that that quality is absolutely quantifiable (all personal preferences aside :rolleyes:).

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

Who on Earth (quite literally) gets to decide that Mozart is superior to Will.I.Am?

Any "serious musicians" in classical music that I've ever spoken to seem to roll their eyes when Mozart gets a mention; in fact his works must partially be seen in his day as works of comedy.

Others, perhaps many amateur classical music fans, seem to assume a piece of music is more culturally or intellectually valid by virtue of having been composed by somebody who is (a) dead, (b) dead for the past 200 years (c) traditionally not enjoyed by some of the most energetic and creative people in modern life; shur what would they know about art, heh?

Give it a rest! There's enough arrogant hauteur in the duller human endeavours without bringing it into art or music as well.

And ITS_A_BADGER, I would love if they played the benny hill theme, it might at least show we have a sense of humour.

Maybe they could have just waited a few hundred years and used Will.I.Am's music for some future exploration. Surely it will have stood the test of time as well as Mozart's has for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

BrendaN_f wrote: »
    Madam_X wrote: »
    Talent, creativity, originality, hard work.

What makes The Beatles "the same as" Jedward?

what makes them the same (in terms of "goodness") is the fact that there isn't (and can't be) a definition of what constitutes good music

Yeah, but that's like saying someone who eats Pot Noodles, and only Pot Noodles, and has never tried anything but Pot Noodles, has as valid an opinion on food as a Masterchef judge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭IceFjoem

Who on Earth (quite literally) gets to decide that Mozart is superior to Will.I.Am?

I'll do it! :p
    Any "serious musicians" in classical music that I've ever spoken to seem to roll their eyes when Mozart gets a mention; in fact his works must partially be seen in his day as works of comedy.

He certainly wrote music for plenty of comic operas, but there's no way that his music was even partially seen as comedic. There's no reason music always has to 'serious', and Mozart included musical jokes from time to time in his work, but to suggest that Mozart's music was ever seen as anything but brilliant is just incorrect.
    Tbh I think you've misinterpreted what the musicians you know were implying with their eye rolling. Generally orchestras have to play the "popular classics" far too frequently (bums on seats etc.) and the players just get sick of hearing them. Mozart's music isn't as striking perhaps as Shostakovich's, and can be quite 'tame' in comparison, and maybe the players you know want something a bit more dramatic, but I seriously doubt that any of those musicians thought that Mozart's music was of inferior quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭maddragon

I read this as "Will.i.am song to blast out my arse" and I wondered how they knew.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 eatchicken

So this thing that will.i.am is being played from Curiosity, what does it mean?

Is it simply just a radio wave beamed back to space (so what, a radio wave came all the way from Mars before, its how we know that the place is all red) or is it some experiement where at one end of curiosity there is a speaker and on the other (the arse end), theres a microphone - to hear what sound is like on mars.

Well if it's the later, it sounds awful!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Priori wrote: »
    So, it's come to this.

The first song Humanity broadcasts on another planet (a very significant cultural milestone if you ask me) and it's by this guy.

Of all the great musical works the human race has produced down the ages, it's a contemporary Rapper/Hip-Hop artist that gets the nod. Money talks I guess.

Please tell me I'm not the only person bothered by this... :(

[edit] On further reflection I'm not so bothered; there have been many songs "broadcasted" beyond our planet before this one (eg), so I've maybe over reacted a bit! And thanks astrofool, I'm sure I must be wrong about it being the first song being broadcast from another planet.

He might perform raps but he is not a hip hop artist or an mc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

You can have Jedward
    Or you can have this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWnmCu3U09w

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Turpentine wrote: »
    Maybe they could have just waited a few hundred years and used Will.I.Am's music for some future exploration. Surely it will have stood the test of time as well as Mozart's has for us.

Ha ha ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

thought you meant this song

Advertisement