Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What makes a paint brush or roller a good one ?

• 28-08-2012 12:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭

I'll be getting some ColourTrend paint from Pat McDonnell over the next few days for some of the rooms, I'm new enough to this DIY decorating stuff. What do I need to look for in brushes and rollers etc? The walls are (now) pretty smooth , standard plastering , and I've skirting and architrave to paint too.
    TIA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Dont use cheap paint brushes! You will end up pulling bits of the paint brush out of the paint on a constant basis. I you buy a purdy paint brush. They hold a lot of paint which is really good when your doing the cutting in.

Also I always use a long pile roller sleeve as it holds a lot of paint when your rolling the walls. If you don't like the look of the long pile roller sleeve leaves roll the walls with the long pile roller then go across them with a medium pike roller. Also when I use a new roller sleeve I run it under the tap an dry it off. Not completly dry but almost dry and you won't end up with any fluff off the new roller sleeve when rolling the walls or ceilings.

Also the most important thing to do us clean everything thourghly. Don't skimp on this part. When you clean everything really well you will have paint brushes and roller sleeves that will last you a very long time and you will be wasting money buying new ones every time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Dont use cheap paint brushes! You will end up pulling bits of the paint brush out of the paint on a constant basis. I you buy a purdy paint brush. They hold a lot of paint which is really good when your doing the cutting Oin.

Also I always use a long pile roller sleeve as it holds a lot of paint when your rolling the walls. If you don't like the look of the long pile roller sleeve leaves roll the walls with the long pile roller then go across them with a medium pike roller. Also when I use a new roller sleeve I run it under the tap an dry it off. Not completly dry but almost dry and you won't end up with any fluff off the new roller sleeve when rolling the walls or ceilings.

Also the most important thing to do us clean everything thourghly. Don't skimp on this part. When you clean everything really well you will have paint brushes and roller sleeves that will last you a very long time and you will be wasting money buying new ones every time.

Many thanks. What sort of effect does the long pile roller leave? Almost like a mini stippled effect?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

It's hard to explain the finish. You would need to see if for yourself. I think the finish is fine and I just paintedy kitchen on Sunday with a long pile roller.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    I'll be getting some ColourTrend paint from Pat McDonnell over the next few days for some of the rooms, I'm new enough to this DIY decorating stuff. What do I need to look for in brushes and rollers etc? The walls are (now) pretty smooth , standard plastering , and I've skirting and architrave to paint too.
    TIA
    Use Purdy or wooster brushes, and a medium pile roller sleeve!

Long pile will leave a stipple on the walls!

Advertisement