Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Forerunner 10 coming in Sept for 135$

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Looks very like the Polar RC3 which is just launched to the same market profile.

Simple GPS tracking with some training features. Price very definitely a factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 laurach

Was looking at getting http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultrasport-G...=pd_ys_iyr_img on Amazon which seems to be a watch that has been available in German market for quite a while and has 4* review on German Amazon site. Anybody come across it or have an opinion?
    It seems to have a decent feature set for the price. I haven't had a GPS or HRM watch before so would be very interested in peoples opinions. It also has heart rate monitor which the Garmin FR10 doesn't

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

Looks very like the Polar RC3 which is just launched to the same market profile.

Simple GPS tracking with some training features. Price very definitely a factor.
    Polar watch is nearly 3 times the price. Learning that people are not going to want to put on a separate GPS unit took them a while to learn. I might have bought this 6 months ago instead of the 610 but i do like vibrate alerts.

Its the new Polar RC3 with the integrated GPS which is +- €240 w/o HR. There is another model the RCX-3 which has the separate GPS pod.

Its the new Polar RC3 with the integrated GPS which is +- €240 w/o HR. There is another model the RCX-3 which has the separate GPS pod.

1345723776514-cjxsyxgi50ix-670-75.jpg
    Not really entry level at that price and usb port on the back is a bad idea. I fix it ;)

• Advertisement

Twas the styling that caught my eye.

Reading the blurb on both they are squarely aimed at the same / similar market. The difference being the RC3 is compatible with bike sensors so suits beginner duathlon / AR etc.

I'd like to give them both a run. Am sure you'd be well able to sort their issues out given half the chance!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Hey Polar-boy ;), I expect DC Rainmaker will have his review of the RC3 up over the next few days. Should make for interesting reading. He did mention that it seemed to lose GPS connectivity going through some tunnels, where the other watches (FR10, FR310xt) measured the additional distance. Rainmaker seems quite unbiased, so should be a good comparison with some of the watches in the Garmin stable.

Hey Polar-boy ;), I expect DC Rainmaker will have his review of the RC3 up over the next few days. Should make for interesting reading. He did mention that it seemed to lose GPS connectivity going through some tunnels, where the other watches (FR10, FR310xt) measured the additional distance. Rainmaker seems quite unbiased, so should be a good comparison with some of the watches in the Garmin stable.

Oh how I wish Polar would be so troublesome that it'd have to have a mega-thread of its own. :D

DC had a go at one a couple of weeks ago RC3 GPS

Oh how I wish Polar would be so troublesome that it'd have to have a mega-thread of its own. :D

DC had a go at one a couple of weeks ago RC3 GPS

Is that where the oil or water goes in ?
    nice
    IMG_5946%25255B11%25255D.jpg

Its a new feature, I doubt it'll catch on. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Or just popular enough that it couldh ave a mega thread of its own :P

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I have a post from a couple of years ago re the 110 when I would have gone for it, except that it didnt have current pace as an option or auto pause as a feature.

This looks like a great cheap option to me, has nearly everything I actually use day to day with the 405, but without the silly bezel. I generally use auto lap, auto pause monitor time elapsed, distance and current pace, so only downside is 2 field display rather than 3. Waterproof also is nice. Looks nicer than 405 also.

Wouldn't agree with cons in first post though.
    Main cons are that it only allows 2 field displayed at a time and that the battery life is only 5 hours. Otherwise it has everything most people need. If it comes out for €100 or so I'll pick one up to replace the 405 for sure, it will be available for that very quickly online either way I'd say.

Anyone (perhaps a retailer??) have an idea on availability on the shelves?

I'd agree with what you have to say ^ up there, but having an entirely different charging clip for this watch to the others in the Garmin stable (and worse, having different charging clips for the male and female editions of the watch)) is just a little bit nuts.

copacetic wrote: »
    I have a post from a couple of years ago re the 110 when I would have gone for it, except that it didnt have current pace as an option or auto pause as a feature.

This looks like a great cheap option to me, has nearly everything I actually use day to day with the 405, but without the silly bezel. I generally use auto lap, auto pause monitor time elapsed, distance and current pace, so only downside is 2 field display rather than 3. Waterproof also is nice. Looks nicer than 405 also.

Wouldn't agree with cons in first post though.
    Main cons are that it only allows 2 field displayed at a time and that the battery life is only 5 hours. Otherwise it has everything most people need. If it comes out for €100 or so I'll pick one up to replace the 405 for sure, it will be available for that very quickly online either way I'd say.

Anyone (perhaps a retailer??) have an idea on availability on the shelves?

Cons are a copy and paste from DCrainmaker. Available on pre-order from amazon.com and garmin US (neither allow outside US shipping) amazon.ca/uk and garmin for both have no details on when its available so it looks like they will satisfy the US market first.

I'd agree with what you have to say ^ up there, but having an entirely different charging clip for this watch to the others in the Garmin stable (and worse, having different charging clips for the male and female editions of the watch)) is just a little bit nuts.

I dunno if that's an issue, I presume most people will have one gps watch and one charger. Besides the 305 was different from the 405 and the 405 charger connection is a bit rubbish. This looks closer to the 305 type connection. I understand the 110 is different from 305 and 405 also and the 610
    looks different again, did any of the different size units share chargers?

rom wrote: »
    Cons are a copy and paste from DCrainmaker. Available on pre-order from amazon.com and garmin US (neither allow outside US shipping) amazon.ca/uk and garmin for both have no details on when its available so it looks like they will satisfy the US market first.

Apologies, I didn't mean they were your cons, just that they were in your post. Another one for some people might be lack of hrm support but I never bother with that anymore, I just want a watch that I can pick up and go for a run with, then every few weeks download the data, saving any effort of keeping track of the data myself.

No idea on availability or cost yet. Considering I was only told the day before the Garmin 910xt was to be available in Ireland I'm not holding out for a lot of notice.

I would expect it will be available before the Christmas market.

First sniff I get I'll let you know & work out a deal for boards.ie members, ok?

No idea on availability or cost yet. Considering I was only told the day before the Garmin 910xt was to be available in Ireland I'm not holding out for a lot of notice.

I would expect it will be available before the Christmas market.

First sniff I get I'll let you know & work out a deal for boards.ie members, ok?

Did that boards discount for AK materialize ? ;)

I understand the 110 is different from 305 and 405 also and the 610 looks different again, did any of the different size units share chargers?
    The same charger works across the 405 (and 405cx), 310xt, 410 and the 910xt. We have three active Garmins in our house (two 405s and a 910), all of which use the same charger. It's just more convenient. But having two different chargers for the same model of watch? IMO an extremely nonsensical decision. Imagine if Dell had different chargers for different colours of the same model of laptop?

rom wrote: »
    Did that boards discount for AK materialize ? ;)

Working on a deal which will probably go up as a boards deal.

Having said that, it there is interest in the Garmin FR10 and I've a rough idea of numbers I will work on getting these as close as possible to online site prices. (Same goes for any other bulk orders)

Due for launch in Ireland in September (no date confirmed)
    RRP is €134.99

• Advertisement

Thanks for the update, bit annoying that they are still using the euro tax like apple. Charging 25% more for the watch in euro than dollars is a bit much, but it really hits retailers more than anyone else as it starts consumers off with the impression of being taken advantage of. Leading to searching online/importing to avoid it.

The biggest issue (as I've outlined in a Twitter conversation) is that Ireland is a wing of a UK distributor (for most things) so we're always going to be more expensive because of the euro to sterling back to euro pricing + our extra VAT.

Heart rate monitors site in the uk are saying not available until early November.
    £99.99 wth 10% off currently, about €115.

Due in this month, actual launch date is impossible to tie down. This is quite normal with Garmin.

Due in this month, actual launch date is impossible to tie down. This is quite normal with Garmin.

Any idea how many people you need to sign up to do a boardsie group buy?

Any idea how many people you need to sign up to do a boardsie group buy?

Thanks copacetic, I'm not too worried about signing anyone up. If anyone is interested they can express it here with a post and once I have them in you can get them on a first come first served basis.

If you are sure you want one, PM or email me in galway & I can secure one for you. I would hope to have 15-20 people interested and be able to provide them at €120 for boards members only.

Cool, I'll take one at that price for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭JohnnyBingo

Cool, I'll take one at that price for sure.
    Put me down for one too. Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Running Fool

Yeah I'd be interested in one also.

Thanks

Advertisement