Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

190 euromillions winner trying to win again

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

El Weirdo wrote: »
    At 4 quid a week, I'd say it'd take a while.

He still has the same chance of winning as everyone else that enters, no?

He has the same chance in terms of the numbers playing but the odds of winning it twice are far, far greater than winning it once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,828 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Lapin wrote: »
    He has the same chance in terms of the numbers playing but the odds of winning it twice are far, far greater than winning it once.
    But he's already won it once, so from this point in time, he has exactly the same odds of winning it as I do (well, not me, but someone who actually buys a ticket).

The odds of a coin flip showing two heads in a row is 1 in 4. The odds of a coin flip showing a second head after already returning a head is 1 in 2.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

So what OP???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Im surprised there isnt a regulation that you cannot win that sort of money from the euromillions twice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Im surprised there isnt a regulation that you cannot win that sort of money from the euromillions twice
    why would there be?

smash wrote: »
    why would there be?

I dunno, give someone else a chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Bit of a cheapskate though - shopping spree in Tescos and the Disney store. :D
    I know you were probably joking but he probably doesn't want the money to change him - hence the shopping in Tesco and buying a 4 quid lotto ticket every week. Maybe he feels that in some small way it'll help keep him grounded.
    I dunno, give someone else a chance?
    *sigh*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Quorum

Well, it's grand if he wants to do it, but he'll never win the top jackpot again. His odds of doing so have now considerably lengthened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

What a sad article. The man spends £4 fuppin on a the Lotto and we're supposed to condemn him? Jebus Christ, that's sad. A lot of peope like tdoing the Lotto for the sake of it. I doubt he seriously thinks he'll win again, but just thinks "why not?". Seriously, the people condemning him need to get over themselves.

• Advertisement

Quorum wrote: »
    Well, it's grand if he wants to do it, but he'll never win the top jackpot again. His odds of doing so have now considerably lengthened.
    No. Just no

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Perhaps the fellow has amazing plans for that the €190 million he won. Maybe he's going to do fantastic things to help the needy and suffering and more dosh would allow him to do even greater things.

You don't know the guy, you don't know his plans, perhaps it's best not to judge his motives.

Granted I know it's unlikely but he's not harming anyone so I really don't see the issue here. Leave him be.

28064212 wrote: »
    No. Just no

Not no. Probability and all.

A whole six posts before your first one
    But he's already won it once, so from this point in time, he has exactly the same odds of winning it as I do (well, not me, but someone who actually buys a ticket).

The odds of a coin flip showing two heads in a row is 1 in 4. The odds of a coin flip showing a second head after already returning a head is 1 in 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

really stupid thread :cool:

Probability of winning would remain the same

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

I think he was foolish to go public. As for him buying another ticket, well it's hardly neccessary but it's actually something I would do too. For the hell of it. Ironically he has exactly the same chance as anyone else.

But I think somehow he's trying to cling onto his normality because it really hasn't sunk in with him how much his life has changed. It will probably take a few incidents like this to make him realise his old life is gone forever. Getting stalked by a Sun reporter is only the start.

Big wins like this have destroyed people but many adjust to it. I think Dolores Keane is an example of this. She seems to have handled it quite well considering.

If I had won it, you would never know about it. The press would be killing themselves trying to figure it out.:D

A whole six posts before your first one
    Probability of winning would remain the same

OK then, even with the exact same odds, those odds are tiny and I'm quite happy to say he won't win again. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I have to laugh ...

There seems to be a thread in After Hours about him winning the 190 million. With such delightful comments as:
    Fúcker.
    The c*nt.

But i'm the begrudger, eh?
    Or perhaps I have it backwards. Its 'begrudgery' to comment about him trying to win it again, but its not 'begrudgery' to call him a cunt for winning it in the first place ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Dave0301

I have to laugh ...

There seems to be a thread in After Hours about him winning the 190 million. With such delightful comments as:

But i'm the begrudger, eh?
    Or perhaps I have it backwards. Its 'begrudgery' to comment about him trying to win it again, but its not 'begrudgery' to call him a cunt for winning it in the first place ;)

No no, you're a begrudger too. The same as those posters from the other thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I don't like him, and I'm not happy for him.

Not ONE bit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ArseLtd

He'd be more of an ass not to keep buying tickets. Without people buying tickets nobody could win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

What an idiot going public with a 4 year old son after winning all that money.

Surely it'd be more greedy if after winning he stopped contributing to the pot??

That four pounds is the four pounds that somebody could win. If it happens to be him that wins it, fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Nux

Who gives a fúck??

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Jamlad

just cause he won doesnt stop his entitlement to try and win more ?! everyone has the same chance/odds. one can never have too much money! maybe we should all try and become friends with him and hope he wins again :L

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

if i won the 190mill
    id guarrentee you id lost at least half of it gambling for the rest of me life
    nothing like a good buzz :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

at the rate he earns interest on 190 million he probably "earned" the €4 whilst he was wandering around the shop

• Registered Users Posts: 27 meandmypalimmy

tut tut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 featherlite

If a 4euro punt is a conversation topic has anyone even bothered to consider how much he'd have left after throwing his 4 euro over the counter ? eu 189,999,996 How will he pay the milkman ? :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 pauldleon

where can I buy a myrtle in Galway

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    With his lad on his shoulder? Some people have it all!:mad:

Hahaha. Well done sir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

For all people know he was getting the tickets as some sort of joke.

And I'm sure he's not the richest person to have ever bought a ticket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Statistically speaking, this guy is a moron

1ZRed wrote: »
    Statistically speaking, this guy is a moron
    "Statistically speaking", he has exactly the same chance of winning as anyone else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Thought i'd post this:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4493496/148m-not-enough-for-you-Adrian-Bayford.html

Greed. Utter greed.
    he wins 190 million euro. Wants to win it again.

:rolleyes:

"Statistically speaking", he has exactly the same chance of winning as anyone else

Not when you've won it once already. The odds increase hugely because of the odds it took him the previous time x by the odds he could win it this time. That's not how you work it out, and it's not that easy, but I forget the maths formula you learn in the Leaving cert for it. So it would be statistically very near impossible for him to win again.

Not when you've won it once already. The odds increase hugely because of the odds it took him the previous time x by the odds he could win it this time. That's not how you work it out, and it's not that easy, but I forget the maths formula you learn in the Leaving cert for it. So it would be statistically very near impossible for him to win again.
    Don't call someone a moron if you don't understand basic (Junior Cert) probability

The odds of two coin flips showing two heads in a row is 1 in 4. If I flip a coin once and it comes up heads, what are the odds that my second flip will also show up heads (having already gotten one head)?

:rolleyes:

FYP!!!!!
    and that applies to everyone else who called me a "begruder" :rolleyes:

What if you won €190 million euro Fighting Irish tho? Honestly, what would you do? (its a fair question, i also ask this to everyone)

Quit your job? Go on a random holiday to a place you always wanted? perhaps buy that car you also always wanted? ... Maybe buy gifts for those close around you?

Would you really be seen coming out of a Tesco EXACTLY ONE WEEK later trying to win the lotto again? ... Because you feel "your luck is in" - trying to win MORE money? ... but would you not be content with the 190 million you already have? .. more importantly the shock of winning it and realising you can do whatever you wanted. Would that not be the first thing on your mind?

It is not the sign of a 'greedy' nature to say to ones self "meh, 190 million is nice... but 220 million would be better. my luck is in. I'm going to do the lotto again"

But I can't help but mention his wife was quoted, by the BBC, as saying "I'm Scottish, we're known for being tight, I'll still be hitting the sales."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I agree it seems a but greedy but good luck to him. I can see his 190 million bringing a lot of problems for him down the line. It's simply way too much money for one person to win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

A wise man once said if I win that €190,000,000 I am gonna put it all on 13 black in Vegas Baby.

Btw that wise man was me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭MagicRon

Silly logic! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Basically what happened was:

Lotto winner goes into town with his son

He is followed by Sun journo stalking him, dieing to make a story that he can sell to the underclasses.

The Lotto winner (sick of a rodent following him) is asked by the man from The Sun "Are you going to buy any more lotto tickets?". Lotto winner replies with "meh".

The Sun fills the front page

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭MagicRon

Basically what happened was:

Lotto winner goes into town with his son

He is followed by Sun journo stalking him, dieing to make a story that he can sell to the underclasses.

The Lotto winner (sick of a rodent following him) is asked by the man from The Sun "Are you going to buy any more lotto tickets?". Lotto winner replies with "meh".

The Sun fills the front page

The man wins another 30 million

Repeat

Fixed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

bluecode wrote: »
    I think he was foolish to go public.
    Yeah, it's not like it's hard to hide the fact you've got €190 million, all you have to do is not spend any and continue on as if nothing has happened.

I don't see what's wrong with what he's doing, he may well see it as continuing to support a worthy cause that's changed his life and will go on to change other peoples lives.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Yeah, it's not like it's hard to hide the fact you've got €190 million, all you have to do is not spend any and continue on as if nothing has happened.

I do believe the commonly used phrase for if you win the lotto is "thats why you keep quiet and get the f*ck out of it" :P - and its quite true.

You go public you get people knocking at your door day and night and a mailbox full of people all looking for a hand out. Its happened to many a lotto winner time and time again. Not to mention security risks. It is foolish, and dangerous, to go public.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

If you win the lotto the week before doesnt that increase your chances of winning the lotto by like a million percent the following week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

FYP!!!!!
    and that applies to everyone else who called me a "begruder" :rolleyes:

What if you won €190 million euro Fighting Irish tho? Honestly, what would you do? (its a fair question, i also ask this to everyone)

Quit your job? Go on a random holiday to a place you always wanted? perhaps buy that car you also always wanted? ... Maybe buy gifts for those close around you?

Would you really be seen coming out of a Tesco EXACTLY ONE WEEK later trying to win the lotto again? ... Because you feel "your luck is in" - trying to win MORE money? ... but would you not be content with the 190 million you already have? .. more importantly the shock of winning it and realising you can do whatever you wanted. Would that not be the first thing on your mind?

It is not the sign of a 'greedy' nature to say to ones self "meh, 190 million is nice... but 220 million would be better. my luck is in. I'm going to do the lotto again"

But I can't help but mention his wife was quoted, by the BBC, as saying "I'm Scottish, we're known for being tight, I'll still be hitting the sales."

If i won 190mil i wouldn't give a fook about anything, i think he just doesn't care and he's like fook it, i'll spend 4€ of my 190mil

Don't call someone a moron if you don't understand basic (Junior Cert) probability

The odds of two coin flips showing two heads in a row is 1 in 4. If I flip a coin once and it comes up heads, what are the odds that my second flip will also show up heads (having already gotten one head)?

No sorry this is my fault for being unclear. If he was going at the lotto again (taking this on it's own, disregarding the last one) yes, he would have just as much chance of winning as anyone else and I agree with that. 
    But, if you looked at it as a whole, stepped back and included the last lotto and this, the odds of him winning that one AND this one would be too great. That's my point. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

ScumLord wrote: »

I don't see what's wrong with what he's doing, he may well see it as continuing to support a worthy cause that's changed his life and will go on to change other peoples lives.

He's Scottish. The Euromillion lotto commission people probably offered him a greasy frying pan in exchange for the wining ticket and he's regretting not taken it so he's trying to win it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,475 ✭✭✭TheChizler

No sorry this is my fault for being unclear. If he was going at the lotto again (taking this on it's own, disregarding the last one) yes, he would have just as much chance of winning as anyone else and I agree with that. 
    But, if you looked at it as a whole, stepped back and included the last lotto and this, the odds of him winning that one AND this one would be too great. That's my point. 

Well, since he has already won the first one, the probability of him winning that is 1. Therefore, for him, the probability of winning a second time is the same as the rest of us winning for the first time. I think what you may mean is that it's much more unlikely for someone in general to win a second time, not him specifically.

You could argue that it could be even more likely for him to win than everyone else, as he has the capability of buying 47.5 million tickets.

Edit: cleared up something

• Advertisement
Advertisement