Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sign of dementia in elederly beared collie cross ?

• 28-08-2012 1:42pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

We found him as a stray many years ago so were never sure of his age.
    We reckon he's about 14 now going on early dental exams by vets.
    Anyway, his hearing is almost gone & he has cataracts in both eyes.
    He can still make out a high pitch whistle & sees OK to get around.
    Walking is becoming more of an issue & he is on medication for arthritis which seems to help.
    In the evening he is prone to becoming very restless, he gets up as if he wants to go out & I open the door for him but he doesn't go out.
    He wont settle & keeps pacing which is something he never did.
    If I try to walk him he very resistant early on & has to be nearly dragged outside.
    Once out walking he's grand but not as obedient as he once was.
    It's the undiagnosed restlessness that worries me the most, almost like he's hearing things in his mind.
    Any advice ?, here he is in happier times.

scaled.php?server=267&filename=dsc00015gr.jpg&res=landing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Renno123

My elderly dog was showing signs of dementia when he got to around 14.
    He was put on a daily tablet of vivitonin which really helped. it almost reversed alot of the strange behaviour and slowed down the progression. He was on it for 3 years before he was PTS .
    I would suggest talking to your vet about this medication.

Advertisement