Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPad having no USB connections

• 28-08-2012 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

What's the story?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Enright

It doesn't FULL STOP

Using a combination of the camera connect kit one can transfer photos but not documents as th epower requirement would be too large

i have seen some youtube videos where people have jailbroken theior ipad and can using the camera connection view and import other documents, but i would advice jail breaking

Loads of other option for transferring files, personally i use dropbox

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭EURATS

Enright wrote: »
    It doesn't FULL STOP

Using a combination of the camera connect kit one can transfer photos but not documents as th epower requirement would be too large

i have seen some youtube videos where people have jailbroken theior ipad and can using the camera connection view and import other documents, but i would advice jail breaking

Loads of other option for transferring files, personally i use dropbox

So no ability for an external hard drive or installing files off a USB stick. Madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭3DataModem

What do you want to use it for? There's no real need for it in my experience.

3DataModem wrote: »
    What do you want to use it for? There's no real need for it in my experience.

Was given a USB stick from work with 3 gig of files on it. Told to email it to myself to install it. What a load of balls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

EURATS wrote: »
    So no ability for an external hard drive or installing files off a USB stick. Madness.
    Not really true, you can get adapters.

Anyway, there's a thread here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056731398

• Advertisement

smash wrote: »
    Not really true, you can get adapters.

Anyway, there's a thread here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056731398

Thanks for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

did you do your research before dropping money on an ipad? it's quite a well know fact that it doesn't have usb.

did you do your research before dropping money on an ipad? it's quite a well know fact that it doesn't have usb.

Didn't drop any money. Given it by work

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

A contender for worst first post ever...

Are you referring to the iPad in general OP? If so, what took you so long to ask - its on its 3rd generation now, a bit slow off the mark.

"iPhone having no FM radio....whats the story?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

work should have know better, ipads are content consuming devices by in large for the most part.

• Advertisement

A contender for worst first post ever...

Are you referring to the iPad in general OP? If so, what took you so long to ask - its on its 3rd generation now, a bit slow off the mark.

"iPhone having no FM radio....whats the story?"

I won't sink to ur levels to tell u what u are. Deep down u know urself!!

Ah come on. In order to be informed, you'd have to rise to his level, not sink. :P

work should have know better, ipads are content consuming devices by in large for the most part.

That's good to know alright. Would have needed to have thought long and hard to draw that conclusion. So many geniuses here. Is unreal

Ah come on. In order to be informed, you'd have to rise to his level, not sink. :P

Yeah..more genius.
    Considering..he had nothing constructive to add..like urself..I think sink is more appropriate. Sink to the trolls with dim wit

Yeah..more genius.
    Considering..he had nothing constructive to add..like urself..I think sink is more appropriate. Sink to the trolls with dim wit
    Actually I pointed out that you can get an adapter and also pointed to a previous thread.

Yeah..more genius.
    Actually I pointed out that you can get an adapter and also pointed to a previous thread.

U were thanked for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Why not tell the genius at work to set up a dropbox/other cloud storage and stop giving you usb sticks?

Problem solved. i havent missed the lack of usb on my ipad.

Why not tell the genius at work to set up a dropbox/other cloud storage and stop giving you usb sticks?

"well said bud"

Problem solved. i havent missed the lack of usb on my ipad.

USB would be handy..nonsense of apple not to have it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,795 ✭✭✭✭28064212

A DVD drive would be handy too. Apple made a decision that it wouldn't provide enough benefit or be economical to include it. Exactly the same as they did with USB

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    A DVD drive would be handy too. Apple made a decision that it wouldn't provide enough benefit or be economical to include it. Exactly the same as they did with USB

Wouldn't bother me about the DVD drive. Just the USB.

• Advertisement

...and? I assume you're not expecting Apple to cater to every single individual who decides they'd like a particular feature, so what's the point of the thread?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

...and? I assume you're not expecting Apple to cater to every single individual who decides they'd like a particular feature, so what's the point of the thread?

I would say I'm far from the only one who could use it.
    As for the point of the thread...am I answerable to u?

And I'm sure lots of people would use a DVD drive if it was available. So?
    Did I say you were? I asked you a question. Quite politely too. Answer it if you want

And I'm sure lots of people would use a DVD drive if it was available. So?

An external DVD could run off a fcuking USB port. Happy days!

Did I say you were? I asked you a question. Quite politely too. Answer it if you want

The point of the thread wasn't up for debate.

I wasn't debating it, I asked you what the point of the thread was. You don't seem to be looking for alternatives, you don't seem to be suggesting Apple should include it in the next iPad, you don't seem to want to discuss the pros and cons of including it, so..... what's the point of the thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭bazzer86

If you looking to put movies on it from your laptop, you can get an app called goodplayer... It transfers using wifi. I highly recommend it, it's one of my favourite apps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭WHL

In fairness, I would have said a few months ago that I wouldn't touch an iPad because of the lack of USB. Bought one on a visit to the US in a moment of weakness and haven't looked back since. I now regret splashing out on a new laptop some months ago!! I bought Documents To Go for about a tenner and use that to synchronise content between my laptop and iPad over my wifi connection. Works great. iCloud would be much the same but I have always sworn by Documents To Go. If you want transfer movies, AVPlayerHD is a good option also

Give the iPad a month or two and come back to say what you think....

I wasn't debating it, I asked you what the point of the thread was. You don't seem to be looking for alternatives, you don't seem to be suggesting Apple should include it in the next iPad, you don't seem to want to discuss the pros and cons of including it, so..... what's the point of the thread?

Knock knock...anyone there?
    The thread title speaks for itself. Obviously I want apple to do something about it(if it's not another adobe situation). Stop making so many assumptions and make a bit of a constructive contribution..otherwise pop off. Goldfish stuff

Knock knock...anyone there?
    The thread title speaks for itself. Obviously I want apple to do something about it(if it's not another adobe situation). Stop making so many assumptions and make a bit of a constructive contribution..otherwise pop off. Goldfish stuff
    Constructive contribution? Here it is: they're not going to do it. Move on

• Advertisement

WHL wrote: »
    In fairness, I would have said a few months ago that I wouldn't touch an iPad because of the lack of USB. Bought one on a visit to the US in a moment of weakness and haven't looked back since. I now regret splashing out on a new laptop some months ago!! I bought Documents To Go for about a tenner and use that to synchronise content between my laptop and iPad over my wifi connection. Works great. iCloud would be much the same but I have always sworn by Documents To Go. If you want transfer movies, AVPlayerHD is a good option also

Give the iPad a month or two and come back to say what you think....

Thanks for the good input. Will give those a go I reckon. Not happy with the lack of USB obviously enough. Can only go around the issue.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement