Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

reoccuring charge taken from new credit card without details of card given

Options
  • 28-08-2012 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I signed up for travel insurance from multitrip.com last year using my old credit card. It seems that they set the policy to auto renew after the year. I didn't have any intention of signing up again and given that the credit card I used at the time expired I would have assumed that the transaction to renew would of been declined given that I never game them any details of the new card.

However today I checked my online banking and the sum has been taken out from my new card.

Can you please explain why you provided them the details of my new card without asking for permission from myself, I'm assuming it's not standard practice to give out customer Data without their permission?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

I'd guess you're still on the same type of card as last time, the only difference is the expiry date (same number etc etc)

Has happened to me a few times (xbox live subscription being an example), generally when you sign up initially it's set to auto-renew. You'll have to contact the travel insurance company to cancel it afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

I'd guess you're still on the same type of card as last time, the only difference is the expiry date (same number etc etc)

Has happened to me a few times (xbox live subscription being an example), generally when you sign up initially it's set to auto-renew. You'll have to contact the travel insurance company to cancel it afaik.

yes but the details that company have are incorrect and shouldn't have worked. For the charge to have successfully taken place Bank of Ireland have had to either knowingly accepted incorrect data or worse given a 3rd party my new details without my consent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Linda

Hi justsomebloke,

Depending on the terms and conditions of the company, they may have stated that if they do not hear from you, they will automatically redebit the card. The company may not have your new credit card details; it depends on how they set up the transaction initially.

You will need to contact the company directly and they should be able to cancel the transaction for you. If you have any issues you can submit a transaction dispute form. This can be found by clicking here and selecting Credit Cards and then Transaction Dispute Information.

Thanks
    Linda

The company may not have your new credit card details;

If they don't have my details how are they able to successfully place a charge against my credit card:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Linda

Just to clarify, Bank of Ireland does not provide your credit card details to companies, they may have set up a direct debit on your account and this is how the charge has occurred.

Thanks
    Linda

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

yes but the details that company have are incorrect and shouldn't have worked. For the charge to have successfully taken place Bank of Ireland have had to either knowingly accepted incorrect data or worse given a 3rd party my new details without my consent

assuming it's just a new version of an old card all the details are correct except the expiry date.

Maybe they don't need to re-enter the expiry to re-debit an account?

Just to clarify, Bank of Ireland does not provide your credit card details to companies, they may have set up a direct debit on your account and this is how the charge has occurred.

Thanks
    Linda

As I am probably not the only one who would have thought this wasn't allowed, Can you please refer me to any documentation you have on what charges BoI will allow to continue against my credit card once the old one expires.

Also if a company has set up a direct debit against my Card is there any way to check this. As I can check my other Direct Debits on other account online but not my CC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi justsomebloke,

I can't direct you to documentation with specific reference to a card expiring, however, in the terms and conditions it does state the following:

"Where you have authorised a Retailer to charge regular or recurring payments to your Credit Card, and you now wish to cancel that authority, you must send a written cancellation notice to the Retailer, and should keep a copy of the letter. Without such a cancellation notice, the Retailer will remain authorised to charge payments to your Credit Card, and we will be unable to block or refund any such payments."

You can view the terms and conditions here, just select your credit card type and click on 'Find out more'.

When a Credit Card expires and you receive a replacement card, this is still the same account.

In relation to viewing direct debits that may be set up on your credit card, it is not possible to view this as the direct debit is set up on the Retailer's side. You would need to contact the Retailer directly to enquire if they have set up a direct debit on your credit card.

I hope this helps.
    Tara

Advertisement