Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to take cash from credit union account

Options
  • 28-08-2012 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭

My Partner has had a credit union account for years and recently want to do some business with them but they were less than nice to deal with, I don't want to get into the finer details but if it was me they would have had a very strong solicitors letter from what they said and done.

After this she just wants to take her money out of her account and close the account she has, she wrote them a letter explaining what she wanted to do and asked could she take it out in cash as its needed urgently for work do be done on her property, they sent her a mail back saying they could write her a cheques which would take five days to clear or transfer funds , again could take upto and maybe more than five days.

Can they not just give her it in cash as it is her money? She wanted to give them a few days notices as it is a round 8000 euro that it would be.

Advice would be great on this,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Your are entitled to take the cash as long as notice has been given it should not be an issue. However some CU have rules that over a certain amount it must be a draft etc.

CU drafts are crossed so it would have to be lodged. Most CU bank with the nearest bank so if you too are a customer of that bank you could get the draft cleared sooner than five days.

Tbh, take a chq, let it clear and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Dan82

Your are entitled to take the cash as long as notice has been given it should not be an issue. However some CU have rules that over a certain amount it must be a draft etc.

CU drafts are crossed so it would have to be lodged. Most CU bank with the nearest bank so if you too are a customer of that bank you could get the draft cleared sooner than five days.

Tbh, take a chq, let it clear and move on.

She isn't a customer of the branch they deal with, the jobs need to be paid for ASAP so we are not in a position to wait the five working days to clear

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Ok,

Ask her to call her own branch and explain that a chq will be lodged etc and ask them can they clear it sooner.

Or,

Ask CU to issue a non crossed chq and give drawing bank required noticed

Or,

Ask CU to remove crossing from chq by endorsing chq stating this and give the drawing bank sufficient notice of the withdrawal.

Or

lodge it and wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Wheelnut

or get the CU to make the cheque / draft payable to the third party person you wish to pay, then you can pay him immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

If she was dealt with that badly did she not insist on seeing the manager?

I imagine it's for security reasons they don't hand out large amounts of cash - not the best idea in the world to go walking around with 8,000 in cash these days.
    Personally I find my CU absolutely brilliant to deal with & I've been with them for years ... never ever had an issue and I've had a few car loans, holiday loans etc with them at various times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Dan82

Callan57 wrote: »
    If she was dealt with that badly did she not insist on seeing the manager?

I imagine it's for security reasons they don't hand out large amounts of cash - not the best idea in the world to go walking around with 8,000 in cash these days.
    Personally I find my CU absolutely brilliant to deal with & I've been with them for years ... never ever had an issue and I've had a few car loans, holiday loans etc with them at various times.

She did ask to speak to manager but the person is off on holidays, My partner has been with them for years also but the person she was dealing with was very unprofessional and also told her parent of transations on her account, I was shocked by this action by a so called professional.

If you contact a bank they would have that money ready in 24 hours, it's not the bank or credit unions responsibility if you get robbed with your own money,

Advertisement