Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stevia

Options
  • 28-08-2012 2:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I want to cut sugar out of my diet. However, as an avid baker, I need a substitute for sugar.:)

I've heard that stevia is much sweeter than sugar, is not harmful and the calorie content is very low.

I've done some research on where to buy on the net. But to be honest, i'm finding the websites really confusing. Stevia leaves, liquid stevia, ml's, grams - what???

Anyone bought Stevia before? What form did you buy it in, what did you use it for and where did you buy it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'd be very slow to use anything other than actual sugar in baking. Sugar plays a variety of roles besides sweetening, and is crucial for many processes to take place. Replacing it with a different product will completely change the final result. Always remember that baking is a very exact science, and you can't just mess around with ingredients like you can in cooking. Have a read of this: http://www.joyofbaking.com/sugar.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Hey - yeah thanks for that. I totally get what you're saying.

I have gotten a baking a book though that uses stevia in place of sugar so the recipes are already adapted and modified accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭EZ24GET

I've never found a substitute for sugar that I truly liked but some of my friends have tried it, so here is a page about using stevia. It is very much sweeter than sugar as I understand it. It can be grown from seed. Here's the link
    http://www.ehow.com/how_2268348_substitute-stevia-sugar-baking.html
    Hope it's of some use to you.

Advertisement