Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Going back to survival?

• 28-08-2012 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hey all.

I know there's a few others as well as myself who would rather at this stage that the boards server went back to being just survival.

Please respond on whether or not you would prefer the server to continue on being faction based or to go back to being a normal survival server.

Thank you
    aodhon.

What direction should the boards server go in? 42 votes

Survival
    0% 0 votes
    Factions
    64% 27 votes
    Other
    35% 15 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭-( i )- Wicker

At present i'm in a neutral faction and for me its the same as playing survival. So why not leave it as a factions server and everyone can have the option of doing one or the other?

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Rachel_Ann

W00T! Survival FTW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

But I would like to "survive" with any machine I build.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭nimrod86

But xen's just made us an awesome custom map for factions!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭kronnn

But all factions has turned into is a constant bitching match between everyone. "I want this" "This should be banned" "Adminnnnn he hit meeeeeeeeeeeee, wahhhhhhhhhh" etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Xenon560

nimrod86 wrote: »

No need to stay in factions for that.
    1) can be used for survival

2) if we ever go back, it's there

IMO, i wouldnt mind survival again for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 23 aodhoneachtain

In all honesty, I don't think that having a custom map will solve any of the issues that people have with the server. From what I've seen faction servers seem to go through a LOT of players very fast and I don't think our server has enough active players to sustain it. It's a pity the factions idea hasn't really worked out as I had some very fun evenings playing it, but now you're lucky to get 3 people online at any one time.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Custom map will help, but at the end of the day Factions is almost untenable without heavy-duty plugin support beyond what we have, and the extreme PvP focus on this Factions implementation has really brought the dick out of some people to the point where its very hard for PvP and PvEers to coexist at all.

Don't get me wrong, I like the added variety and interest created by Factions and think that mixing it and Survival on the same map can cater to almost everyone while adding an added dimension to the PvP; the problem is trying to successfully integrate the PvP and PvE players without giving anyone an unfair advantage. It was the reason why I wanted us to hold off Factions until we had the plugin support (including WorldPainter) to really back it up, as the test server showed us way back that without a fairly stiff framework and a carefully planned map to balance stuff out some people would just take the p!ss and now we have a lot of bad blood on the server.... or what's left of it after a lot of people left in disgust.

If we can use xens map I'll be happy then...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

If we are going back to survival can we at least keep the factions plugin?

Things such as faction and alliance chat allow for private conversations rather than having multiple people trying to talk at once, And faction protected land would mean no griefing:)

• Advertisement

If we are going back to survival can we at least keep the factions plugin?

Things such as faction and alliance chat allow for private conversations rather than having multiple people trying to talk at once, And faction protected land would mean no griefing:)

I agree on the chats, surely there is a plugin for doing this? But if we still use faction land, etc, thn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Indubitable

The faction plugin is overkill and would cause too much Lag AFAIK, other plugins would be more suitable i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

I agree on the chats, surely there is a plugin for doing this? But if we still use faction land, etc, thn

I don't, the faction server seems dead because everybody is talking in faction chat.

In the old server it was good as anybody could join in the conversation which made for decent banter.

If you really wanted to say something private just send send them a message

Most players have quit the faction server because they spent days/weeks building a base only to have it destroyed, some while they were offline. I know that's how factions works, but I can understand players getting frustrated and abandoning the server.

I think to repopulate the server we need to go back to survival, and to keep the interest we need projects, competitions, mini-games etc. If people want to make impenetrable fortresses with traps etc thats fine, i'm sure there could be a competition made of that too.

Most players have quit the faction server because they spent days/weeks building a base only to have it destroyed, some while they were offline. I know that's how factions works, but I can understand players getting frustrated and abandoning the server.

I think to repopulate the server we need to go back to survival, and to keep the interest we need projects, competitions, mini-games etc. If people want to make impenetrable fortresses with traps etc thats fine, i'm sure there could be a competition made of that too.

That's the thing though. People are always suggesting events but they are never implemented due to the lack of motivation to do it, or the fact that no one who can change the map is around.

If it does go back to survival then perhaps a "wild west" type zone...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56 ✭✭Jinbakrdi

I'd definitely play more if we went back to survival.

So have we decided on what to do? :pac:

So have we decided on what to do? :pac:
    Play the Super Nintendo Entertainment System?

Play the Super Nintendo Entertainment System?

You forgot the poll option Atari Jaguar. Nabs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Dats_Dope

I wouldnt mind goin back to survival

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Poll is pretty close so I'm going to leave it up for another few days. Looks like we'll be going back to plain survival though.

The 1 [Other] vote is mine, Which can be counted as [Survival]

Edit: It wouldn't be possible to see a list of those who voted for factions? Considering there is very few active players at the moment, I can't see how Factions is getting so many votes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Edit: It wouldn't be possible to see a list of those who voted for factions? Considering there is very few active players at the moment, I can't see how Factions is getting so many votes!

I voted for factions.

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    I voted for factions.

Me too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭Farcheal

I voted Factions

I voted factions but i'm kinda regretting that now

I voted Survival, but if Factions could be balanced out better and put on a proper custom map I'd prefer both gamemodes running side-by-side.

I'd say we can close the poll now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

I'd say we can close the poll now?

Ye i'd say all the regulars have voiced their opinion.

We will be going back to survival then. I'm pretty busy at the moment so it might take me a few days.

B..b..but my beautiful map :(

Nah im glad, the server is dead atm

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Rachel_Ann

WOOOOOOOOO!!!! VICTORY!!!!

Where is rashersandbeans??!!?!? I TOLD YOU!!!!

also. Xen. Do your sexy dance.....yeaahhh buddy!

Xenon560 wrote: »
    B..b..but my beautiful map :(

Nah im glad, the server is dead atm

No reason why we can't still use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 aodhoneachtain

No reason why we can't still use it.

Apart from the fact that he uploaded it for everyone to get a local copy...

• Advertisement

Rachel_Ann wrote: »

I tried but then tripped and sprained my ankle :(
    Have to wait a while

How is tht a problem? Its nowhere near done and the resources etc. wont be the same at all.

Anyone with malicious intent could easily obtain a local copy of any server:P

Edit: Also, I think ore generation and building placement is done when you convert the file from WorldPainter's format to a playable format, Which would make the files Xenon uploaded pointless for any nefarious activity.

Anyone with malicious intent could easily obtain a local copy of any server:P

Edit: Also, I think ore generation and building placement is done when you convert the file from WorldPainter's format to a playable format, Which would make the files Xenon uploaded pointless for any nefarious activity.

also, is it really that big a deal if someone happens to know where a ravine or whatever is/cool mountain? And who'd bother to memorize the map like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭tiptopgolfy

Somebody was suggesting a wild west zone on the survival server, could we do that?

Maybe like a pvp area where people who want to can go to war once a week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭Morbert

Why not have factions in survival mode only? I.e. Factions without the PvP. Each player joins a team, and attempts to build the most impressive architecture for their faction. Only have 3 or 4, or maybe even 2 nations. No griefing, but well defined territories

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 rashersandbean

Rachel_Ann wrote: »

When did i ever doubt you? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭kronnn

Morbert wrote: »
    Why not have factions in survival mode only? I.e. Factions without the PvP. Each player joins a team, and attempts to build the most impressive architecture for their faction. Only have 3 or 4, or maybe even 2 nations. No griefing, but well defined territories

Why do you need teams or territories? Its much easier to just say hey lets build an X over here, who wants to help?

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Can we use Xens map?

BX 19 wrote: »
    Can we use Xens map?

I like this idea :)

Need to finish it first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

Polls flawed I think. The reason factions was set up was people were sick of the norm, building the same stuff then resetting. People like me who don't spend a huge amount of time on it won't play factions I think but would pop into a Survival game and have a potter about. I think a lot of people who voted for back to Survival are people like me, not exactly blow ins, but more casual gamers. I haven't voted in this poll for this reason (reason being, I would vote Survival but I feel it's not fair as I'm very casual about it). I seemed to notice that a few of the regulars from the last map have declared their want to stay as factions. Surely their votes outway someone who logs in for 10 minutes a week to tend to their 3x3 mud hut?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭Morbert

Perhaps this is a logistics nightmare, but why not have two continents: One PvP and one Neutral?

Forget survival, a pixelmon server is key.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Think I'm going to sit this one out. I'll be on the odd time and whitelist when I can.

New server is up. Its technically just a test for now, but assuming there's no problems it will be the permanent one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement