Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get static IP with UPC home package

• 28-08-2012 3:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭

I've a 100Mbit Home Fiber package with UPC and their customer support tell me that they don't do static IPs on the home packages and that I would have to move to a business package, which sucks.

Does anyone know of a way to get a static IP on a home package out of UPC?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

Ring again and hope to get onto a nice rep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭Mr. Flibble

Ring again and hope to get onto a nice rep.

Thanks MiniNukinfuts. Is this advice from experience (ie. can they give me a static IP by pressing a few buttons) or a guess?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

Thanks MiniNukinfuts. Is this advice from experience (ie. can they give me a static IP by pressing a few buttons) or a guess?

From experience, One rep had none of it, and I rang the next day got a nice fella and he issued me one. This was 2 years ago though, so they might have changed since.

From experience, One rep had none of it, and I rang the next day got a nice fella and he issued me one. This was 2 years ago though, so they might have changed since.

Great. Thanks MiniNukinfuts.

If anyone else has advice I'd love to hear it also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭wandererz

I switched to a business broadband package about a week ago.
    If you've got a regular thompson modem in place it will be replaced by a Cisco modem.

Modem gets placed into bridge mode to deliver your static IPS, so you will need a hardware firewall of some sort behind it to protect your network. Then they route those IPs to your connection.

The benefit though is that you get about 5 IP's (one of which gets used by your firewall of course)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

I've a 100Mbit Home Fiber package with UPC and their customer support tell me that they don't do static IPs on the home packages and that I would have to move to a business package, which sucks.

Does anyone know of a way to get a static IP on a home package out of UPC?

well why do you want a static ip?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

They may not give you a static ip, but I've had mine for months now. I use it to access remote databases that are protected by a firewall. If my ip changes, I can edit the firewall. Haven't had to do it yet though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭wandererz

If you simply need a static IP so that you can remotely access your home systems, then another option which i used to use years ago was a program installed on my home machine which monitored your public IP and emailed you when there was a change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

I have noticed that as a home user the IP address does not change. When I was with Eircom and Smart everytime I rebooted the router it got a new IP address. I have had the same ip address with UPC for ages and it only changed today when the router was changed to cure a fault.

You can achieve as multiple static IP address by using port forwarding and a dynamic dns service such as dyndns.org.

This gives you a address such as dingding.dyndns.org which maps to your IP address.

With the Port address translation then you add the port number ot the link i.e http://dingding.dyndns.org:81

Works well for my setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Celtic tek

Hi Guys we were working from home out of the Garage using UPC Home Broadband and 1 telephone shared between four of us , we won a new contract and need need a static ip address in a hurry .we rang the home support number and got nowhere then we found one of the UPC Business Partner and not alone did we get the static ip address we got 100mb broadband 5 statics and six phone line with no line rental WoW. UPC business Technician came out replaced our old Thompson box and replaced it with a few cisco boxes . all it took was to email the guy and sign up to UPC business i would seriously recommend them check out this guy businessbroadband(dot)ie

• Advertisement

Celtic tek wrote: »
    Hi Guys were working from home out of the Garage using UPC Home Broadband and 1 telephone shared between four of us , we won a new contract and need need a static ip address in a hurry .we rang the home support number and got nowhere then we found one of the UPC Business Partner and not alone did we get the static ip address we got 100mb broadband 5 statics and six phone line with no line rental WoW. UPC business Technician came out replaced our old Thompson box and replaced it with a few cisco boxes . all it took was to email the guy and sign up to UPC business i would seriously recommend them check out this guy businessbroadband(dot)ie

Thanks. The thing is that the 100Mbit home package costs c. €684 / year (less when with a TV package, which I happen to have), whereas the business package costs over €1200/year inc VAT. That's a steep price for a single static IP address.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Celtic tek

Thanks. The thing is that the 100Mbit home package costs c. €684 / year (less when with a TV package, which I happen to have), whereas the business package costs over €1200/year inc VAT. That's a steep price for a single static IP address.

We Looked at the savings this way
    Eircom 18mb broadband package €99 ex vat per month
    6 telephone lines from them @€;20.96 x 6 = €125.76 per month ex vat there monthly cost became €224.76 plus they wanted €50 for 1 static so there annual cost = €2697.12 ex vat

we now have 100mb + 5 statics +6 lines for €1068 annually ex vat so as a small business we are saving over €1500 for what i saved i can now have a holiday next year:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65 ✭✭qork

I work from home and am stuck with DSL providers as there is no UPC service in my area, I would love to get UPC business broadband, lots of my clients have it and are very happy, with the speed and cost saving over eircom!
    I use dyndns and find it perfect for accessing my services when away from the home office.
    Q.

Advertisement