Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Comparing L.C results to national averages

• 28-08-2012 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi I have been asked to compare L.C results from my school this year with the national averages. Does anyone know the best way of doing this? I have the excel spreadsheet of all of this years results and percentages and then the results from this years L.C in my school.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

Is it to compare subjects or points?

By that I mean if you were looking at subjects, say fr example Maths, then start by comparing % who take HL LC in your school (22) with national average. Do similiar for OL & FL.

Then analyse the % if ABCs at HL in your school with national average. Figures available on examinations.ie and do similiar for OL and FL. Provably alsO worth noting failure rates vs the national average.

If it is for points then I'm not really sure how you compare your averae points (depending on how you work this out) with the national average as impersonally have never heard anyone say "the national average points is whatever".

Others here might have some more helpful tips for you though!

If you don't min me asking Why were you asked btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭fade out

What I have done so far is make out bar charts which compares the % of of a1's, a2's etc achieved by the whole country with the % in last years L.C class. I have compared this years results with 2011 and 2010 also. The charts are divided into higher and ordinary results. I hope this will be acceptable.

I was asked as part of a department meeting. Only new to the school and out of dip.

I wouldn't bother with A1s A2s etc. I just calculate As Bs etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭bdoo

doc_17 wrote: »
    I wouldn't bother with A1s A2s etc. I just calculate As Bs etc.

Ite as easy to do the whole lot while you are at it though. I presume it's only for one subject?

Maybe the %a-c and %fail too I think it is a more reasonable comparison although the stats would churn your stomach.

Two of my lads got apprenticeships before the summer and left off, they had done their day practical so got a result based on that - 10% failure rate in a class of twenty on first look it's very bad.

I do stats myself but put no stock in them really, the % sitting hl compared to national is a good indicator of standards a high hl % with a low failure rate is good imo regardless of the no of a's and a low no of A's at ol means kids who did ol made the right choice

Just my opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

Not sure is there any need for the bar charts really I think this is just adding extra work that's not needed.

We get a grid with a line for your results, underneath worked out as a percentage of each grade, then another line underneath that is the national averages.

These stats are all well and good but there are down sides also.

I had one student doing OL in a particular class who got an A, say the national average for OL A's is 15% my average is 100%. In reality what good are those stats to anyone they make no sense or have no benefit.

I'm not giving out to you OP or antying I'm just making a general point about the introduction of these stats in schools.

Looking at them and knowing where you should be at is one thing but comparing a class of 12 v national averages has no impact in my opinion as mentioned above.

• Advertisement

bdoo wrote: »

Two of my lads got apprenticeships before the summer and left off, they had done their day practical so got a result based on that - 10% failure rate in a class of twenty on first look it's very bad.

Agree with this I had 3 drop out after doing the practical so had a percentage of fails 6 times higher than the national average, however they never actually sat their exams to gain any more marks after the practical so stats are useless like this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Oh don't start on this, my blood boiling. Our stats scewed by people who didn't turn up! We do trend graphs.

If you have low numbers then take the last few years together to get a broader picture.

Only new to the school last year, plus the office compile the results and you are given the handout by the principal. They only take into account one year

Advertisement