Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paid for tickets but have yet to receive them

Options
  • 28-08-2012 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭

I was looking to purchase some tickets for Electric Picnic this weekend, went on to Toutless.com and picked up a couple of tickets without issue. A couple of friends decided to come along, and since I'd managed to get tickets for less than face value, I decided to hop back onto Toutless and purchase a couple more.

I found someone selling two tickets for €400 in the UK, and ended up sending them the cash via bank transfer last Thursday. I'm always wary of doing that, but I had done the exact same thing to purchase the previous two tickets without issue, so I wasn't that worried about it. Roll on to today and I've yet to hear anything back from them since I've sent the cash. I've called and texted them multiple times (as in, more than 10 times today alone) and they haven't replied. The number seems genuine as the name supplied is on the voicemail. There's still a bit of time left to sort this out (gig is on Friday), but I'm not holding my breath.

I have their name, phone number, email address and bank account details. Based on their bank branch, I also have a reasonable idea of where they live. I'm wondering if there's anything I can do? I've already called my bank and there's nothing they can do. I've also tried tracking down more info on them online, but they don't have a Facebook, Twitter or LinkedIn account (in the email address supplied).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Serbian wrote: »
    I found someone selling two tickets for €400 in the UK, and ended up sending them the cash via bank transfer last Thursday.
    What was the actual price of the tickets if you bought them at the venue, and was there an option to send it by registered mail? There's nothing stopping them from posting the tickets late, but hopefully you get them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Very little you can do if this isn't legit. I take it you don't even have their address if you wanted to take them to the small claims court?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

the_syco wrote: »
    What was the actual price of the tickets if you bought them at the venue, and was there an option to send it by registered mail? There's nothing stopping them from posting the tickets late, but hopefully you get them.

€240 is the face value. There's a very slight chance that they've sent them, but somehow I doubt it. They were checking the site until Monday and seemed pretty legit, but the fact that they haven't replied to texts, emails or phone calls means they've basically gone AWOL.
    Very little you can do if this isn't legit. I take it you don't even have their address if you wanted to take them to the small claims court?

Yeah, exactly. I've been trying to think of ways to get their address (and hence why I was trying to find other online profiles for the seller) but no joy. I guess all I have is a phone number to keep calling and hopefully getting an answer eventually.

I may also report them to the local police station, but again, I would expect nothing to come from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Kevtherev

Do royal mail work over the bank holiday weekend?

Kevtherev wrote: »

Nope

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭ConcertKing

I was looking to purchase some tickets for Electric Picnic this weekend, went on to Toutless.com and picked up a couple of tickets without issue. A couple of friends decided to come along, and since I'd managed to get tickets for less than face value, I decided to hop back onto Toutless and purchase a couple more.

I found someone selling two tickets for €400 in the UK, and ended up sending them the cash via bank transfer last Thursday. I'm always wary of doing that, but I had done the exact same thing to purchase the previous two tickets without issue, so I wasn't that worried about it. Roll on to today and I've yet to hear anything back from them since I've sent the cash. I've called and texted them multiple times (as in, more than 10 times today alone) and they haven't replied. The number seems genuine as the name supplied is on the voicemail. There's still a bit of time left to sort this out (gig is on Friday), but I'm not holding my breath.

I have their name, phone number, email address and bank account details. Based on their bank branch, I also have a reasonable idea of where they live. I'm wondering if there's anything I can do? I've already called my bank and there's nothing they can do. I've also tried tracking down more info on them online, but they don't have a Facebook, Twitter or LinkedIn account (in the email address supplied).

Am really sorry to hear that.

Got caught on toutless for €100 last year by some scumbag who used various excuses not to pay after I sent him the tickets first like saying he had cancer.I was stupid I know but it was day before the event so thought it was worth the risk.Hope karma doesn't comeback to haunt him!!

There really should be a warning on toutless about being careful buying from posters who have 1 post like the guy you bought from.

Shame there's no feedback system as it would make it alot easier to see who you could trust.

I was nearly stung for All Ireland tickets last year as well by a guy in UK.Was all nice on the phone but insisted I pay him through Western Union.I got suss so put his phone number in google and it turned out he was a serial scammer who's ripped off lots of people.Thank christ I wised up.

Hope that guy somehow sent you the tickets.I really do.

A question if I may - not my intention to drag this OT or hijack or indeed 'rub it in' - but would using Paypal not resolve most of these issues or do they have issue with ticket sales?

Still hoping for a good outcome for you OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

As a law student you should know that you cant take a case against a private individual.
    A question if I may - not my intention to drag this OT or hijack or indeed 'rub it in' - but would Paypal not resolve most of these issues or do they have issue with ticket sales?

Still hoping for a good outcome for you OP.
    OP paid by Bank transfer, nothing to do with Paypal

foggy_lad wrote: »
    As a law student you should know that you cant take a case against a private individual.

I know of no institution that teaches small claim court or indeed any court summons procedure at undergrad level. You may have also noticed I've changed my username - this was specifically to avoid people thinking I was giving the legal advice. If you read the charter you'll notice it states that none of us are experts. So I thank you for the correction.
    foggy_lad wrote: »
    OP paid by Bank transfer, nothing to do with Paypal

Foggy - I take it this is our monthly issue? I asked a question - I made it quite clear it was a question seeking an answer - an attempt to educate myself so if a question arises in the future I may be better placed to answer it. Or possibly so that is, heaven forbid, someone used the search function and came across this thread the answer would be there.

EDIT: Do also bear in mind the Small Claims Court in England does not, as far as I know, limit claims to consumer - business or business - business transactions.

Kevtherev wrote: »

I'm aware of the bank holiday on Monday, but it was the lack of response from the seller that made me suspicious to begin with (they had told me they send the tickets next day delivery).
    There really should be a warning on toutless about being careful buying from posters who have 1 post like the guy you bought from. [...] Hope that guy somehow sent you the tickets.I really do.

Wouldn't really have made a difference — it's not like a scammer is going to keep reusing the same account to scam people over and over. Cheers for the good wishes though :)
    A question if I may - not my intention to drag this OT or hijack or indeed 'rub it in' - but would using Paypal not resolve most of these issues or do they have issue with ticket sales?

I had asked them multiple times to use PayPal, but they said they didn't have an account and didn't know how to use it etc. I pushed them quite a bit, but after lots of conversation, I (stupidly now that I look back) decided to trust them on the transfer. I won't do that ever again, that's for sure.

Obviously still no sign of the tickets and still no answer from the sellers phone despite a lot of calls at this stage. Looks like I'll be chalking this one up to experience and moving on.

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear that - I'd report it to the local police in the UK on the off chance. I take it you've tried hiding you number / using someone else's phone - ideally with a UK number if you can get one?

Sorry to hear that - I'd report it to the local police in the UK on the off chance. I take it you've tried hiding you number / using someone else's phone - ideally with a UK number if you can get one?

Considering it alright, but haven't tried it yet. I have access to a UK number via Skype so I might try that. I figure if they're not answering when they know it's me, they'll probably just hang up when they realise it's me via another number. Worth a shot anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭ConcertKing

Wouldn't really have made a difference — it's not like a scammer is going to keep reusing the same account to scam people over and over. Cheers for the good wishes though :)

That's true because they get banned right away but can set up a different account and just do it again.

There should definitely be a name and shame thread on there giving the persons real name and where they are from to stop others getting scammed.

I know from experience that buying or selling to a person who's just joined the site seeking lots of money or trying to get you to post tickets first before paying is hugely risky.

Most scammers on it from what I see are just joining the site and doing it there and then with no previous history on there.

Of course I'm not saying everyone is because the majority on there are good people but I know from experience that anyone looking for payment outside of paypal having just joined are likely scammers especially from outside of Ireland but you can get caught through Paypal as well so there's no way 100% safe I guess. :(

Advertisement