Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to pick your braaaiiiins.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭superneat

Andy!! wrote: »
    so you think I should maybe avoid your motherboard purely because of placement issues?
    Those twice as fast with SSD boot times are very very tempting though.
    What about a windows licence? Will I be able to use the one that came on a netbook I bought a few months back?

I would recommend whichever one suits your needs, they are both excellent boards.
    Have a look at the specifications and features of both, something might swing it for you.

ASRock
    Asus

When going the itx route, compromises will always have to be made, so an extra couple of USB or eSATA slots might swing the favour in one direction or better software or BIOS fan controls in the other direction.

Keep in mind, how many fans are you using? How many fan headers are on the board? (cpu_fan, chassis_fan)

In regards to the CPU socket position, notice how much closer to the PCIe slot it is on the ASRock.
    These small boards need to pack the slots really close, be careful with RAM clearence as well.

Z77E-ITX.jpg

OcZ466xKvSUYrQEk_500.jpg
    Now of course a simple option for both of them in regards to cooling is an All In One liquid cooler. There are plenty of them on the market from different manufacturers like intel, corsair and antec to name a few. Albeit they are only rebadged, as there are only two real makers of the units so research first.
    They are usually quiet, coming with a single or dual rad and fans, they have a small footprint inside the case.
    Keep in mind that if this case needs to air travel, the water cooling is a no no.

As for the windows licence, it will not be transferable to your new machine. You could start with a trial download of windows that will work for 30 days without a licence...

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Hmm the mobo choice is going to be a head scratcher I see :D I'm also going to be limited to what I can literally get my hands on here in Korea. I found a website, danawa.com, that I'm told is the best choice for buying online. I'm not keen on liquid cooling so will be sticking to fans. A push/pull that is preinstalled at the front/back, and two up top most likely. Then depending, the GPU might have two, or could just have one. Would love to install one on the side panel beside where the GPU will go but it doesn't look like they planned for that possibility.

Yeah that is a very sexy looking motherboard, and it has 7.1 on board too which is a plus, if I ever get around to speakers. Things being tight or not fitting at all is one of my biggest concerns. I'm guessing I'm SOL with getting RAM like those ripjaws that have the heat dispersal at the top? I'm probably going to have to go with two naked sticks unfortunately, but RAM is still pretty expensive IMO (especially since I'm going with 16GB) so a blessing in disguise I guess.

A windows licence ain't too much of a problem, it's a neccesity, no getting around it, it's just gotta happen so I'm not bothered about that :)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130812

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814162119

Which would people recommend? I have never heard of Galaxy as a brand, but the cooling solution in the EVGA doesn't inspire confidence, I'd much rather have two on the GPU. Also, what is superclocked+? Does that mean the EVGA comes pre-overclocked? I don't think I want that, I'm going to be juggling resources as it is by the sounds of things. If it a system like the i series processors have, overclock when needed, then I might consider it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Well then it should be pretty easy for you to provide lots of links showing how much more reliable asrock are then

No need to be prickish...

Here: http://www.behardware.com/articles/862-2/components-returns-rates-6.html

Will I be able to get away with using an external blu-ray drive for windows installation? I would only ever use a drive for blu-ray movies anyway, no point in having an optical drive clogging up the airflow. Are all blu-ray players 3D blu-ray compatible? Will a 6X USB 2.0 player be enough for 3D blu-rays?

Also, I want 16GB of RAM in my system, for simulating and rendering in 3D software. But I would prefer to buy 8GB now, and buy another stick later (I'll most likely be limited to two slots on my mini-ITX mobo). Is it as simple as slotting in another stick with the power turned off once I buy another stick at a later stage, or will system configuration be needed?

• Advertisement

OK I bought this Crucial 256GB SSD for $164

http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-2-5-Inch-Solid-State-CT256M4SSD2/dp/B004W2JL2A/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1347349117&sr=1-1&keywords=Crucial+256+GB+m4+2.5-Inch+Solid+State+Drive+SATA+6Gb%2Fs+CT256M4SSD2

And this 16GB LP Corsair Vengeance for $88

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-Performance-Modules-CML16GX3M2A1600C10/dp/B007TG8QRW/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1347349172&sr=1-1&keywords=Corsair+Vengeance+LP+Performance+Memory+Modules+16GB+%282x8GB%29+DDR3+1600MHz+%28PC3+12800%29+CML16GX3M2A1600C10

The build has begun! :P

Next will be the case and motherboard most likely, unless I come across a great deal on an i7 or 660ti and have to shell out immediately. I will probably go with that ASRock Z77E-ITX, though I am still very undecided on the mobo, the Asus seems quite feature rich too...

would people recommend I buy some kind of PC building kit? I have no thermal paste, screwdrivers, tie-offs etc.

EDIT: Why do I not have any edit buttons for the posts I made on the first page?

I was just check hardwereversand, and noticed that under the RAM section for both the ITX motherboards I am looking at, it state:

RAM Supported 2 DIMM slots - DDR3 , non-ECC , unbuffered

I bought RAM that is buffered. Will it work? Are these mobos only compatible with buffered RAM, or do they ALSO support unbuffered RAM?

Did I say something wrong? :D Anyone have answers to my questions?
    I was just check hardwereversand, and noticed that under the RAM section for both the ITX motherboards I am looking at, it state:

RAM Supported 2 DIMM slots - DDR3 , non-ECC , unbuffered

I bought RAM that is buffered. Will it work? Are these mobos only compatible with buffered RAM, or do they ALSO support unbuffered RAM?

And why can't I edit the posts I made on the first two pages?

What wattage PSU would people recommend for an i7, 16GB RAM, 3gb 660ti and maybe five fans including the CPU one? What brand would people recommend? I want to go modular, but I hear they can have trouble fitting into a prodigy, hmm..

Welp, don't seem to be yielding many answers, but I'll proceed with updating my build anyway.

Bought my i7 3770 for 360,000 won on Sunday, comes to around 246 euros.

480336_4664398848998_1919846195_n.jpg

Buffered ram is for servers, check your motherboard memory compatibility chart and see if the one you bought is on it.
    If not, it might still work, but I'd throw caution to the wind, return the memory and buy one that is on the list or is known to work with the board.
    Not all ram is checked for compatibility by the mobo maker but usually most ram of the same type will be.

Keep up the updates, love seeing systems come together!
    :D

• Advertisement

superneat wrote: »
    Buffered ram is for servers

Oh SHHHHHH....

will it still work in a regular PC?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Unfortunately buffered RAM cannot be used it the motherboard doesn't support it and vice versa. :(

How can I check if my RAM is buffered or unbuffered by looking at the sticks? I took a second look at the listing on Amazon and it states unbuffered now. I'm confused now :P

Google the product code, check the manufacturer website or post it here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

How can I check if my RAM is buffered or unbuffered by looking at the sticks? I took a second look at the listing on Amazon and it states unbuffered now. I'm confused now :P

Wait is it the Corsair Vengance RAM in the link above? Definatelty not server RAM in that case.

Yeah its the sticks above. God knows how I got mixed up. Phew! Crisis averted!

Advertisement