Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacement Alarm

Options
  • 28-08-2012 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭

Hi
    I need to swap out an old Astec alarm for something a bit more modern and suited to the changing needs of the occupier. The old alarm is just 3 PIRS and some door contacts. From reading here i think a HKC 10/70 would suit the needs. Couple of quick questions hopefully you knowledgable chaps can help me with.

Where can i buy the components. I'm based in Dublin.

I don't want to replace the PIRS as the person wants to be able to arm the alarm at night so i was thinking of a combo of shock sensors and contacts as each room in the apartment has an external door and window. Problem is the wiring is to short so can i extend it using a junction box (if so is it a paticular type) or am i better to go for a full wireless option?

There are 4 doors and 3 windows and also would like an external sounder any idea on what cost this might run to?

Thx in advance for any help.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Hi John
    For suppliers check out the Sticky here.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055956748
    Either the HKC 1070 or Siemens would be ideal here. You cxan see some comparisons between the 2 here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056676093
    Siemens would be my choice simply for the extra features as price wise they are near enough the same.
    Even with doing the windows & doors I would like to see at least 2 PiRs covering the hall & landing areas.
    The wiring really needs to be examined to see what can be used. With Astec there may be other things sharing the same cable.
    If you want to go fully wireless take a look at the Powermax & HKC quantum
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056676131

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

Hi
    I need to swap out an old Astec alarm for something a bit more modern and suited to the changing needs of the occupier. The old alarm is just 3 PIRS and some door contacts. From reading here i think a HKC 10/70 would suit the needs. Couple of quick questions hopefully you knowledgable chaps can help me with.

Where can i buy the components. I'm based in Dublin.

I don't want to replace the PIRS as the person wants to be able to arm the alarm at night so i was thinking of a combo of shock sensors and contacts as each room in the apartment has an external door and window. Problem is the wiring is to short so can i extend it using a junction box (if so is it a paticular type) or am i better to go for a full wireless option?

There are 4 doors and 3 windows and also would like an external sounder any idea on what cost this might run to?

Thx in advance for any help.

The cables can be extended using junction boxes and adding the extra cable.
    If they are Astec type Pirs and contacts then you will need to replace these also. Checking out the cables in the apartment would determine the type of system that would suit best. If there was an issue with one or two cables then a hybrib system may suit more so that a fully wire free one. Also the HKC wire free sensor allow for wiring contacts and inertia's out of them so if there was an issue with a break between two point it will get you out of a hole.
    The external bell can also be wire free or hard wired to the HKC system.
    Cost wise, it is best to contact any of the suppliers on the supplier list.

Advertisement