Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank Of Ireland - credit card fraud investigation

Options
  • 28-08-2012 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi ,
    First time user so please be patient.
    I only recently opened a visa statement dated 05.01.2012 .I had opened subsequent ones but this had been lost. I noted the balance forward on the February to be high but there has been quite a few Xmas transactions in December so I thought no more of it ( Foolish I know)
    However on examining the statement I have 2 transacations I do not recognise nor authorise, One for TUI Nederland and one for National Express totalling 800 approx.I immediately contacted BOI Sustomer service and was advised to send a transaction dispute form which I did.I also back up information also.
    Yesterday I received a letter explaining that they only have 120 days to dispute a transaction and I should contact the retailer.
    Now if I knew who the retailer was that would be great ! but seeing as I didn't have anything to do with the transations where do I start with my own investigation.
    I have also contacted the 2 "suppliers " .Got and e-mail and letter from National Express but they say due to data protection they cannot help and advised me to get back to my bank. TUI Nederland is one of the TUI Travel group and have a huge number of subsidiaries.I contacted Falcon Ireland and the girl explained if TUI Nederland came up it was for travel booked abroad ??and she couldn't help .
    I have read the BOI Terms and conditions and is says unauthorsied transactions must be notified in a period not greater than 13 months ( which it isn't ) .My card has never been stolen , etc.
    Please advise where I can get information on the transaction. can the Bank not advise if it was PIN , cardholder not present etc.

Looking forward to any suggestions you may have.

Regards,

Nellie Pru

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Graham

Hi Nellie,

Thanks for getting in touch. You will need to continue to investigate and dispute the transactions directly with the companies involved. If you contact Credit Card Services on 1890 251 251, a representative should be able to provide you with details of the transaction, date of the transaction, if the PIN was entered, etc.

I hope this helps.
    Thanks,
    Graham

• Registered Users Posts: 2 NelliePru

Hi Nellie,

Thanks for getting in touch. You will need to continue to investigate and dispute the transactions directly with the companies involved. If you contact Credit Card Services on 1890 251 251, a representative should be able to provide you with details of the transaction, date of the transaction, if the PIN was entered, etc.

I hope this helps.
    Thanks,
    Graham

Thanks for getting back to me Graham but I still have a problem with why transaction disputes say 120 days to investigate and the terms and conditions say no later than thirteen months ?Please advise which is correct.

Regards,

Nellie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Pat

Hi Nellie,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you. The 13 months mentioned in the Terms and Conditions would be the maximum timeframe that the customer would be able to dispute a transaction if they only receive a yearly statement. The 120 day limit quoted in the letter that was issued out to you is the maximum time limit that Bank of Ireland has to dispute a transaction with a vendor. This timeframe is mandated by Mastercard and Visa and is outside the control of the bank. Customers that receive monthly statements would need to notify us of the transaction in question within 120 days of the date of the transaction.

I hope his answers your question.

Thanks
    Pat

• Registered Users Posts: 2 RachMc

Hi,
    My visa/debit card was defrauded and I awoke to my account being less nearly 5000!! BoI sent a txt in middle of the night and I contacted them early the next morning upon seeing txt. I was told it could take 10 days to 3 weeks for the investigation to be carried out. I am looking for reassurance that I will be reimbursed as it is such a large amount?:-/ thank you for your help in advance!
    Rachael

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Billy

RachMc wrote: »
    Hi,
    My visa/debit card was defrauded and I awoke to my account being less nearly 5000!! BoI sent a txt in middle of the night and I contacted them early the next morning upon seeing txt. I was told it could take 10 days to 3 weeks for the investigation to be carried out. I am looking for reassurance that I will be reimbursed as it is such a large amount?:-/ thank you for your help in advance!
    Rachael
    Hi Rachael,

Thanks for contacting us and welcome to Boards.ie

We're sorry to hear of the fraud on your account. We have an experienced Fraud Team who will always look to carry out an investigation as quickly as possible. Unfortunately, as each investigation would be different to the next, we would not be able to provide an exact date for when the case would be completed. As soon as the team have information, they will contact you directly.

Thanks

Billy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

If as you say BOI were the ones who spotted suspicious activity and contacted you well then I wouldn't worry about it. Most likely the money is still pending and when the investigation is finished will be returned to your account.   

• Registered Users Posts: 2 RachMc

Thanks billy and Chris! I was beginning to panic a bit!! Talked to good few people who went through the same situation and they were all reimbursed! It's nice to hear, hopefully won't take too long but a lesson learned in regards to being extra cautious with my card! Thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Elaine

You're more than welcome RachMc, 

Just to mention, we have a dedicated page here on our website, which explains our Security Commitment. It will also offer you helpful tips on how you can protect yourself against Fraud and offer you peace of mind for the future. 

Thanks again, 
    Elaine 

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Aiosulli

I’m out in Bangkok. At the moment. I’m in bind to say the least I paid for some custom suits for me and my wife (honeymoon). Supposed to be high grade wool material. I’ve strong suspicions this whole thing is a scam after doing some research. After the fact ( shame on me). My question here is what do I need to do to prove it was a scam to have the transaction cancelled or refunded. I’ve approached the vendor and they refuse to provide a refund. I have in writing from them what grade wool the suits were supposed to be. I called BOI CC fraud the day of the transaction but because I willingly signed BOI said they would wouldn’t cancel the pending charge. Any help would be greatly appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Alison

Hi Aiosulli

Thanks for getting in touch with us here.

If this transaction was made on your credit card, we would advise completing a Credit Card Dispute Form here and BOI will work with the retailer to try and work a solution for you. We would ask you to attach any correspondence you have had with the retailer. This will be fully investigated for you.

We do hope the information helps and continue to enjoy your honeymoon. Congrats!

Many thanks
    Alison

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Aiosulli

Hi Alison,

Thank you for your response. A few follow up questions from the form.

Given the issue is the quality of the merchandise ( suits and shirts). What meets the standard of an expert opinion ? A letter from a tailor?

Given that we need an “expert opinion” for the claim we took the items with us back home for review. I see the form requires registered return of the goods to the vendor. Which make sense except we have evidence they have even changed the store front signage.

My thought is we wait until you accept the “expert opinion” before we ship. Otherwise we won’t have the opportunity to get another one

Clearly this is a ridiculous situation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Lorna

Hi Aiosulli,

Thanks for getting in touch.

You could get in touch with a reputable tailor or business that can confirm the grade of wool on the suit you received. If this is done you can send this in along with copies of the original description given by the retailer.

Thanks,

Lorna

Advertisement