Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best mac compatible small accounts package?

Options
  • 28-08-2012 5:11pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭

My gym is growing, excel is no long doing the job (...yes, 3 weeks in). I need a dedicated accounts software program.

Must have capability to record various kinds of turnover, all expenses, assets, liabilities, accruals, prepayments, VAT etc etc, and may need a PAYE/PRSI function down the road as I grow, but that's 6-12 months away.

Need to be simple to use as I want it to make my life easier, not to cost me more time.

And it must, must, must be mac compatible.

I've a audit practice background so like to keep detailed records and am pretty capable when it comes to that sort of stuff, just need to find the right package and am struggling to find anything iOS compatible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Macs don't run iOS so that will be difficult. Assuming you mean MacOS then still pretty difficult, since macs are rarely used in business. Don't know of any myself, it's all windows only. You can get american tax software for mac sure, but Ireland is such a small market.

You may have just identified an empty market niche :D

There might be some web-based packages that could suit you, these would run on any platform. This stuff tends to be aimed at large organisations tho, and costs loads.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

srsly78 wrote: »
    Macs don't run iOS so that will be difficult. Assuming you mean MacOS then still pretty difficult, since macs are rarely used in business. Don't know of any myself, it's all windows only. You can get american tax software for mac sure, but Ireland is such a small market.

You may have just identified an empty market niche :D

Hahahaha ok so I know fitness and accounting, but don't get tech. You're right, of course - MacOS.

And dammit. That's a pain in the a$$.

Excel is a lot more powerful than you think, give it another bash. Try to get an excel expert to help you maybe? Ask your accountant for advice.

You can also install windows on your mac using bootcamp (this lets you choose what OS you want to use, you will still be able to boot macos).

Excel is a lot more powerful than you think, give it another bash. Try to get an excel expert to help you maybe? Ask your accountant for advice.

You can also install windows on your mac using bootcamp (this lets you choose what OS you want to use, you will still be able to boot macos).

I worked with excel for 3.5 years in audit, I'm not dismissing how powerful it is by any means :)

The bootcamp option is one I've considered alright. Might have to think more about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭bruce wayne

How about heading to the cloud ?

www.xero.com (NZ)
    www.bullethq.com/ (Irish)
    http://uk.sageone.com/ (UK)
    www.waveaccounting.com/ (CA)
    www.freeagent.com (UK)

and many many more options

worth looking at....small monthly cost and available on any platform you need (tablet, pc, mac, etc)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭writhen

I would look at some web based solutions. I know thats what I would do if I was starting over.

For e30/month that looks pretty decent. Even claims to do your CRO returns for you.

brb firing accountant

How about heading to the cloud ?

www.xero.com (NZ)
    www.bullethq.com/ (Irish)
    http://uk.sageone.com/ (UK)
    www.waveaccounting.com/ (CA)
    www.freeagent.com (UK)

and many many more options

worth looking at....small monthly cost and available on any platform you need (tablet, pc, mac, etc)

Thanks for those. Any you'd recommend over the other?
    writhen wrote: »
    I would look at some web based solutions. I know thats what I would do if I was starting over.

Any particular reason other than backups and ease of access?

Someone on the Mac forum suggest Solar Accounts 3 as a mac compatible software program - anyone used it?!

Some googling seems to indicate that Solar is a UK package.

Similarly, out of the list of options above the Irish web solution is clearly the best. A New Zealand accounts package not much use :D

Web based is definitely the way to go, you can use it on a tablet/phone/anything.

I wouldn't let the origin of the application put you off, as they can all handle definable vat rates and so on so can be used in any country. A number of accountancy firms are using xero to manage their clients accounts. Although I'm a big fan of both Xero and Freeagent I have to say the payroll element in bullet puts it above the others in my opinion.

the fact that your accounts are online, means that (as you pointed out) back ups and software updates are all handled automatically. The cost is a monthly subscription rather than a a largish once off payment.....this could also be a factor if you want to change application...the lack of a large purchase price means your not locked into the application and can change to suit your needs. A subscription bases is also easier to absorb for a new business.

And finally using a cloud solution also enables you to share the application easier. If you decide to take on a book keeper then in most of these applications you can simply give them access to allow them to process data - such as invoices and expenses...without the need to give them a copy of the software, or change to their software. Again this is something the likes of Xero enable organisations to do.

most of them come with a 30 day trail period...it might be worth picking a couple of them and running your accounts through them and judging them on ease of use and overall functionality.

hope that helps

• Advertisement

Bookkeeping isn't the issue, regulatory requirements are the issue. This is why a package specific to Ireland is so good. It seems to have all the CRO forms etc handled.

Does the system interface with ROS is the question? Would be a bit stupid if you had to print off documents and then post them...

• Registered Users Posts: 2 annehannan

Hanley wrote: »
    My gym is growing, excel is no long doing the job (...yes, 3 weeks in). I need a dedicated accounts software program.

Must have capability to record various kinds of turnover, all expenses, assets, liabilities, accruals, prepayments, VAT etc etc, and may need a PAYE/PRSI function down the road as I grow, but that's 6-12 months away.

Need to be simple to use as I want it to make my life easier, not to cost me more time.

And it must, must, must be mac compatible.

I've a audit practice background so like to keep detailed records and am pretty capable when it comes to that sort of stuff, just need to find the right package and am struggling to find anything iOS compatible.

Hi Hanley
    I'm Anne from SortMyBooks. We are an Irish company and our online accounting software package works very nicely on a Mac. We also have already got all the Irish VAT rates set up by default and can handle cash receipts basis for VAT returns. It is a full accounting software to handle all the items mentioned above, tracking your fixed assets, current assets and current liabilities, loans, sole trader or limited company capital accounts. It has a simple to use interface. Sounds like if you have a gym that you may need to track invoices for memberships, we've got an invoice emailing facility as well as capability to accept credit card payments from your customers without setting up a merchant account. We've got a free 30 day trial available on our website and we also offer a free 30 minute skype screenshare session where we can run through what your needs are and show you how SortMyBooks can help you run your business.

Hope that helps,

Anne

Bookkeeping isn't the issue, regulatory requirements are the issue. This is why a package specific to Ireland is so good. It seems to have all the CRO forms etc handled.

Does the system interface with ROS is the question? Would be a bit stupid if you had to print off documents and then post them...

thats a fair point on the interface with ROS, but in my opinion it shouldn't be the major factor in a decision. There is not much point putting up with a dog of a system just because it interfaces with ROS, hence I suggested to the OP that he try a few out to see what works best for him, after all he'll need to work with it on a daily basis.

There are lots of options, including sortmybooks, but again I reckon the integrated payroll in bullet pushes them ahead of the others.

good luck OP

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Keats18

I've the same problem as Hanley, want to get out of Excel, using a Mac but also live in one of these 'back-end-of-nowhere' places with dodgy internet so very hesitant to go with cloud accounting.
    I would love software specific to Ireland that could help me cut down on time spent with end-of-year returns.
    Suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I feel like I'm doing my head in googling accounts when windows specific and cloud accounting websites keep coming up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭micosoft

Hanley wrote: »
    Thanks for those. Any you'd recommend over the other?

Any particular reason other than backups and ease of access?

Someone on the Mac forum suggest Solar Accounts 3 as a mac compatible software program - anyone used it?!

I selected Xero a couple of months ago - spent ages selecting a system, signing on for test accounts and trying them. Can't say enough good things about Xero. Backup and access from anywhere are serious advantages but alongside that you have access for your accountant to login, continual improvements to the product and IOS app for iPhone.

I found SageOne to be very crude and basic. It does do payroll though (you can just sign up for that if you want). No App. No decent reports.

The nicest thing is that it syncs with my ulsterbank account and I can do my bank reconciliation on the Luas on my iPhone - that feature alone rocks.
    Aside from that it's easy to use, slick modern interface, plenty of prebuilt reports to track your business, proper chart of accounts.

What I would do is login for a trial, see if you like it, go through a checklist of things you need it to do. Also be sure there is a full data export function that you can do regularly to "back up" your accounts regularly. A lot of startups in this area so be aware some will fall by the wayside perhaps stranding your data.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 bumpitybump

Hi Hanley,

Running a print/design business here, so basically a mac environment.
    I chose accountedge - it's excellent, really user friendly and no hassles with revenue etc. Yearly support license is extremely reasonable compared to the usual alternatives.

h.t.h.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭capefear

plus + for xero, i have been using it for a couple of years now and cant fault it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Hi Hanley,

Running a print/design business here, so basically a mac environment.
    I chose accountedge - it's excellent, really user friendly and no hassles with revenue etc. Yearly support license is extremely reasonable compared to the usual alternatives.

h.t.h.

In the same line of work, and use the same accounts software. Would recommend it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Loads of my customers and partners use Xero and LOVE it - seems to be absolutely brilliant - the Salesforce of Accounting, and very cheap too.

Advertisement