Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do people cheat on their partners?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

People cheat because they are cunts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Men cheat on their girlfriends because their girlfriends will never find out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

Priori wrote: »
    Right. Well, there you have it OP. From a conscience-less perspective that is.

(Shrugs)
    It's the truth. If you find it uncomfortable then that's up to you.

If a guy cheats on his girlfriend then he's found excitement and forbidden fruit tempting. I've more respect for the guy who cheats on his girlfriend then the married father who has an affair then empties bank account, hires cutthroat lawyer and pisses off on his missus leaving her high and dry with the kids and no child support. That's fcuking conscience-less

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

cheating is for card games, it should be called whoring of ones self or unfaithful.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Klondike1985

"God gave men both a penis and a brain, but unfortunately not enough blood supply to run both at the same time."

Robin Williams.

Best answer ever - epic ! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I know a guy who used to go out with my friend Kate. Kate was a great girlfriend but he still cheated on her with this English girl called Edith.

When it all came to light and I asked him why he'd done it he said that although he knew it was wrong he really just wanted to have his Kate and Edith too.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I know a guy who used to go out with my friend Kate. Kate was a great girlfriend but he still cheated on her with this English girl called Edith.

When it all came to light and I asked him why he'd done it he said that although he knew it was wrong he really just wanted to have his Kate and Edith too.

Fukcen Groan-nnn.

Get your coat and please leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

Super-Rush wrote: »
    People cheat because they are cunts.

People cheat because there are cunts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Colmustard wrote: »
    Fukcen Groan-nnn.

Get your coat and please leave.

NEVER!!!!!

I didn't wear a coat. Too nice out today.

Anyway - that's a classic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

I cheated on my boyfriend more times than I'll admit.

He was violent and I was scared to leave. 3 of the 4 years we were together were spent with me cheating whenever I got the chance. PRobably an attention thing at the time. Can't say to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭SEANoftheDEAD

To answer your question we will nead more info than he had unprotected sex while drunk with a stranger.

He did confide in you which means he clearly trusts you.

Either that or he was working an angle, thinking about the above with the OP and threw the idea out there to see if it'd ever be possible.

The xmas parties are getting booking around now, no harm in planning ahead.

mauzo wrote: »

He was violent and I was scared to leave. 3 of the 4 years we were together were spent with me cheating whenever I got the chance. PRobably an attention thing at the time. Can't say to be honest.

not violent enough.

mod:

banned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

No sir,

this is most certainly a thinly veiled 'I have girlfriend post'.
    that would be "had" sir
    Did you not read the rest of my thinly veiled post, I cheated on her...

joke btw.

not violent enough.

Trust me, he was plenty violent.

I'm the first person to admit it was wrong, no matter the circumstances. Horrible thing to do to someone and I'd hope if I ever felt the need to cheat in future I'd have the decency and respect to tell my partner how I feel or leave him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

I've never cheated on anyone I was with because I think if you are ever in a place where you want to cheat, what's the point of being in a relationship?
    I would sooner break up with someone right then and there then go behind their back because I don't think anyone should be played like that.

• Advertisement

not violent enough.

WTF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

not violent enough.

Reported.

Mauzo -I had a friend in your situation so I know how much courage it takes to get out. I don't think you have anything to feel bad about.

1ZRed wrote: »
    I've never cheated on anyone I was with because I think if you are ever in a place where you want to cheat, what's the point of being in a relationship?
    I would sooner break up with someone right then and there then go behind their back because I don't think anyone should be played like that.

there and then.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

not violent enough.

Banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

<snip>

see above

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

I can see it as an evolutionary measure - ensuring you have the highest opportunity to add to the inevitable 7 billion people on this rock. And civilization spends much of it's time fighting and trying to come to grips with what we've evolved to become. I blame God.

not violent enough.

Reported.

Mauzo -I had a friend in your situation so I know how much courage it takes to get out. I don't think you have anything to feel bad about.

Thank you, it still doesn't excuse what I did though. Tis all in the past now sure!

I'd be heartbroken if someone did that to me. And verydisappointed if I ever did it again, I don't think I ever could but you just don't know until you're faced with the temptation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

Reindeer wrote: »
    I blame God.

God doesn't give a sh1t.

linky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

frag420 wrote: »
    She was a bee keeper?? Cool!!

More like the keeper for the Roscommon junior b team :p

Long term monagomy is unnatural for some. Over half of the worlds male population don't practice it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭icescreamqueen

Guill wrote: »
    I am a man, I didn't cheat on my GF, didn't cheat on her when she was my fiance, now she's my wife and I don't cheat on her.

Awww so sweet. You have any nice single brothers??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

God doesn't give a sh1t.

linky

That was very irritating

Hi MAUZO, I was wrong for saying what I said, it just hit close to me as I was on the receiving end of being trampled on,(being dedicated to the cause)

I am happy you got out of your situation and I hope you can get into a relationship where you feel comfortable and happy,

for me it is not so easy once bitten, hide in the corner,

to the rest of the folks on this thread I apologies if what I posted was wrong, I know you guys are sound at the best of times (foot in mouth for me)

Hi MAUZO, I was wrong for saying what I said, it just hit close to me as I was on the receiving end of being trampled on,(being dedicated to the cause)

I am happy you got out of your situation and I hope you can get into a relationship where you feel comfortable and happy,

to the rest of the folks on this thread I apologies if what I posted was wrong, I know you guys are sound at the best of times (foot in mouth for me)

I totally respect where you're coming from.

Thanks for the apology, I'm sorry to hear what you went through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

blueyes12 wrote: »
    I suppose this is a silly question but for the life of me I just can't understand why men cheat on their gf! A male friend of mine confided in me that he recently slept with someone else on a night out, a one night stand! He says he loves his girl, whom I also know! But how the hell can he love his girl and cheat, needless to say I had a few things to say to him but jeeze if your not happy get out! I just don't understand it, if your happy you don't stray, drunk or not. Blaming the demon drink is a poor excuse.

Maybe someone on here has a few things to say regarding the matter!

Blaming drink is a poor excuse, your friend is careless and a fool and doesn't deserve the girlfriend he has. Doesn't matter how drunk you are, his mind was still alert and semi-functional, if he had any respect or love for the girl at all he'd have thought of what it would do to her. Drink or no drink the guy has a brain, use your common sense.

If he wasn't happy with the girl he is with then try and work on fixing the relationship or jump ship. Better than carrying around a guilty conscience. Very careless arsehole thing to do which will leave her shattered. The truth gets out sooner or later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭Svetti Arss

Anal always with the anal.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 blueyes12

I totally respect where you're coming from.

Thanks for the apology, I'm sorry to hear what you went through.

I would like to thank you for your honesty regarding my original post and commend you for being so honest with your personal experiences, I also know how hard it is to leave a violent partner as I got rid of mine nearly 3 years ago, my friend whom I wrote original post about helped me out big time. He attended court with me when I had to get a barring order and he also stayed with myself and my child for a few weeks after just to make sure we were safe!
    This would attribute to why I can't turn my back on him now, although I don't condone or accept what he has done I have to be there for him as he was for me.

Ive just left him after a number of hours listening to him and his dilemma. He is riddled with guilt but also realised that he has to come clean with his girl about what happens a few weeks ago, he doesn't think relationship will survive this and to be honest, maybe it's best for them both.

Thanks again and well done on getting out, I know it was the hardest thing I ever had to do so I can understand where you are coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Because no matter how good looking someone is eventually sex with them gets boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭ronano

It's lousy, if you're not happy in relationship you get out of it, no need to cheat at all. The classy option is called not being a dick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Funny I met a lad I haven't seen in a while last night.

Asks me was I holidays. Yeah just back on Saturday from Barcelona and France I says. Did you see the whores in Barcelona on the street? I did pass them with herself and the kids one evening coming home from having our tea.
    Did you go off with them he asks? Eh...no...I was with herself and the kids...how or why the f*ck would I when I've saved all year for this holiday for myself and the family.

He then tells me he was flat out with them when he was there....he has a missus and 2 kids..who I've met and adore him...and he's out with whores!!

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭marzic

mfceiling wrote: »
    Funny I met a lad I haven't seen in a while last night.

Asks me was I holidays. Yeah just back on Saturday from Barcelona and France I says. Did you see the whores in Barcelona on the street? I did pass them with herself and the kids one evening coming home from having our tea.
    Did you go off with them he asks? Eh...no...I was with herself and the kids...how or why the f*ck would I when I've saved all year for this holiday for myself and the family.

He then tells me he was flat out with them when he was there....he has a missus and 2 kids..who I've met and adore him...and he's out with whores!!

:D HE MUST BE A FCUKING LEGEND, IF LEGEND MEANS ANYTHING ANYMORE!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

if you pay for it
    its not cheating
    its a business transaction :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

saiint wrote: »
    if you pay for it
    its not cheating

You have cheated though. You bought the fish instead of fishing for it. Real men earn what's theirs

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

I would like to thank you for your honesty regarding my original post and commend you for being so honest with your personal experiences, I also know how hard it is to leave a violent partner as I got rid of mine nearly 3 years ago, my friend whom I wrote original post about helped me out big time. He attended court with me when I had to get a barring order and he also stayed with myself and my child for a few weeks after just to make sure we were safe!
    This would attribute to why I can't turn my back on him now, although I don't condone or accept what he has done I have to be there for him as he was for me.

Ive just left him after a number of hours listening to him and his dilemma. He is riddled with guilt but also realised that he has to come clean with his girl about what happens a few weeks ago, he doesn't think relationship will survive this and to be honest, maybe it's best for them both.

Thanks again and well done on getting out, I know it was the hardest thing I ever had to do so I can understand where you are coming from.

Its good that he had your back when you were going through a tough time, and you are repaying the favour for being there for him after his mess up, that's what friends are for I would do the same thing but I'd still say if it was my friend that he was careless and a fool, call it tough love or whatever.

He is a good guy for being there for his friends in that regard but my opinion won't change. The girlfriend might find it in her to forgive him if they are that close but he may take the risk rather than living with the guilt, I wouldn't be able to look her in the eye if it was me, I'd fold under the pressure. Good luck to him anyway even if most people's criticism is harsh.

• Advertisement

1ZRed wrote: »
    You have cheated though. You bought the fish instead of fishing for it. Real men earn what's theirs

:pac:

http://peat.s3.amazonaws.com/photos/kitty-and-horse-fisherman.jpg

if you pay for it
    its not cheating

• Registered Users Posts: 23 blueyes12

zcorpian88 wrote: »

Its good that he had your back when you were going through a tough time, and you are repaying the favour for being there for him after his mess up, that's what friends are for I would do the same thing but I'd still say if it was my friend that he was careless and a fool, call it tough love or whatever.

He is a good guy for being there for his friends in that regard but my opinion won't change. The girlfriend might find it in her to forgive him if they are that close but he may take the risk rather than living with the guilt, I wouldn't be able to look her in the eye if it was me, I'd fold under the pressure. Good luck to him anyway even if most people's criticism is harsh.

Hey to be honest he has not got it easy off me by any meanes, but I totally agree with you an that's the problem there is no way that I can look her in the eye or sit in both their company again, at least until he comes clean, you see he has been my friend since we were kids, I'd say 5 years old, we are both in our early thirties now.

Yes there has been lots of harsh comments, some good and some down right crap but eh what can I expect from an open forum as such.

I really just joined this site as I needed to get my thoughts out!

Thanks 😄

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭RaRaRasputin

Don't really get this....if you were too scared to leave, why were you not too scared to cheat on him? Sounds rather like taking a risk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭RumDrinker

A male friend of mine confided in me that he recently slept with someone else on a night out, a one night stand!
    Next time your mates are out, pretend a headache, stay at home and get in there..

I know guys who have and will when the opportunity presents and will even pursue an opportunity. But I know others to spite the opportunities would NEVER and never have.

I was once at a stag in Spain most had partners and about half strayed (even the groom to be), I was thinking going home at the airport, its like a Mexican standoff, 1 tells half of them is bolloxed.

I have to say I never did, nor did any of my brothers to spite various opportunities, so perhaps its something in our upbringing, I don't know. But I do have a regret, I once got an invite back to an Irish celebs place and I said no sorry I can't I am with someone. A month later I wasn't. I still wonder...

PS No names.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Don't really get this....if you were too scared to leave, why were you not too scared to cheat on him? Sounds rather like taking a risk

A potential risk he most likely new nothing about.

However, if he's violent and she leaves, he'll know about it and I guess she feared things would get more than a little out of hand if she told him she was leaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

The desire to have sex with someone other than their partner?

Seems simple enough to me...

Men are much less emotionally involved in sex than women are in my experience so it may not seem like such a big deal to a bloke as it's just an act.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭floggg

if you pay for it
    its not cheating

If you pay for it is cheating and your a sad and dirty bastard.

I won't judge somebody who slips up and makes a mistake because good people **** up every now and then. I don't condone cheating, but I'm not gonna get all judgmental over a on off mistake. Everybody ducks up.

Going off with a hooker behind your partners back is wrong on so many levels. You can't say it was a mistake in the heat of the moment, you risk bringing back every sort of disease to your partner (i know there's that risk in all cheating but I imagine the odds are higher from a back alley hoe), and I think the idea of paying for it is just sad and desperate.

Anyway, the cure to all this cheating business is that more people should consider the possibility of open/monogamish relationships. It ain't cheating if you have a green light to do so, and if you find it hard to stick to one partner, be up front with them about that. If they can't handle that, you can get out and find somebody who can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Interesting article i read yesterday.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/aug/27/monogamy-fairytale-ideal-affairs-wont-go-away

The author (they're not a psychologist or anything like that) basicly says we're not really designed for monogamy. But we've been fed all these hollywood fairytales to make us think we have to be with one person for ever.

I honestly believe that we mix sex with relationships too much. The simple fact is that it's entirely possible for a person to have sex with someone besides their partner and still love their partner. Sex does not equal love. The bad issue arises when someone cheats because their partner trusts them not to and it's not about the sex act, but rather the breaking of that trust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭floggg

Hey to be honest he has not got it easy off me by any meanes, but I totally agree with you an that's the problem there is no way that I can look her in the eye or sit in both their company again, at least until he comes clean, you see he has been my friend since we were kids, I'd say 5 years old, we are both in our early thirties now.

Yes there has been lots of harsh comments, some good and some down right crap but eh what can I expect from an open forum as such.

I really just joined this site as I needed to get my thoughts out!

Thanks 😄

I don't get why you get to give him a hard time. It's not your relationship and it's not your trust he betrayed.

As far as I'm concerned a relationship is between the people involved only, and as long as there is no mental or physical abuse is between them.

There is plenty of bull**** that goes on in all relationships, and if people were to involve themselves in yours I'm sure they could find plenty of things to judge you for (and likewise your partner). The say could be said for my relationships.

People should butt out of other peoples relationships and leave em to it unless it somehow directly involved them.

If it was your friend who was being cheated on, then fine, let them know and by there for them whatever way they decide to play it. That's just looking out for a friend.

But outside of that, I don't think you should involve yourself in other people's business.

• Advertisement
Advertisement