If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freeview and Saorview box

Options
  • 28-08-2012 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi guys,
    I've been looking at this Humax box in preparation for the changeover in October...

www.richersounds.com/product/freeview-freesat-pvr/humax/hdr-foxt2/huma-fox-t2-hdr

...but I'm having trouble finding answers to my queries below...

I live in an apartment that currently receives free RTE, TV3, 3E, BBC, UTV, Channel 4, Sky News and a couple of others through the current cable.

Satellites are not allowed in the apartment complex so whatever solution I choose it has to be compatible with my current connection which I presume must be through a shared aerial.
    • I live in North Co.Dublin, can I get Freeview?
    • Will this box work for both Saorview and Freeview at the same time?

I'm pretty clueless to all this so any help is much appreciated, thanks!!! :)

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

lambay1 wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I've been looking at this Humax box in preparation for the changeover in October...

www.richersounds.com/product/freeview-freesat-pvr/humax/hdr-foxt2/huma-fox-t2-hdr

Good - it's good to be prepared :D
    ...but I'm having trouble finding answers to my queries below...

I live in an apartment that currently receives free RTE, TV3, 3E, BBC, UTV, Channel 4, Sky News and a couple of others through the current cable.

Satellites are not allowed in the apartment complex so whatever solution I choose it has to be compatible with my current connection which I presume must be through a shared aerial.

The 1st question you really need to ask is how is your current service delivered - it sounds like you have a 'communal system' and if this is the case then you would need to check with your management company if the system will be updated prior to October to facilitate Saorview reception??

If you pop a Humax Set Top Box on the end of your current cable - I would doubt that it will work given the limited info as outlined.
    • I live in North Co.Dublin, can I get Freeview?
    It depends... (I'm not being evasive - but I have been in Malahide recently and one day I received super quality UK Freeview signals with a reasonable aerial - the following day I could not get a single Freeview station - since then the Freeview signal has returned and is excellent quality
    [*]Will this box work for both Saorview and Freeview at the same time?

Yes it will, however it is not Saorview approved and hence it may have some small differences to approved STB's - but in essence yes it will work in both the ROI and the UK ( again I dont think it's the right unit for your current circumstances.)
    I'm pretty clueless to all this so any help is much appreciated, thanks!!! :)

No problem - it's hardly surprising as a lot of the information, both official & press based has either been late, poor or downright inaccurate - so it's hardly surprising that people are confused.

Again whilst I'd love to sell you a Humax - I think your 1st port of call is actually to the management company - and ask them for the tech specs of your cable system - if you need any assistance with them or if they need to update the system to get ready for Saorview - just give me a shout and we will be happy to assist,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 11 lambay1

Thanks very much John,

I've just found out that I appear be getting my channels through the free UPC analogue and that I have nothing to fear come October.

I actually live in Malahide myself so its good to know that Freeview should work in the area, although I'd still like to know if Freeview would work with my current system.

I'll get onto the management company but I fear they are as clueless as I am. I may have to wait till the switchover to see what needs and can be done.
    Cheers!

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Thanks very much John,
    No problem - that's what we are here for
    I've just found out that I appear be getting my channels through the free UPC analogue and that I have nothing to fear come October.
    Yes if you have UPC you won't have to make any changes
    I actually live in Malahide myself so its good to know that Freeview should work in the area, although I'd still like to know if Freeview would work with my current system.
    I was using a separate Aerial on a mast about 65ft high in Malahide so the reception was excellent - in an apartmant block I just could not guarantee that you will get the same success!

Again keep us posted if we can assist,

ATVB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.