Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How would you teach an Irish novel to a 1st year class in Gaelscoil?

• 28-08-2012 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

How would one teach an Irish language novel to a very good first year class in a Gaelscoil? All have been to primary school Gaelscoil and all have very good proficiency and interest in the language.

Apart from reading a chapter in class, explaining new vocab, getting them to do a summary (wash rinse and repeat that until the book is done) how would one go about teaching them a novel (or, rather, using a novel as a means of teaching them better communication skills as Gaeilge)? Also apart from getting them to answer Junior Cert (honours)-style questions on the various themes and characters in the novel, what else might one do to make the reading process more enjoyable and beneficial?

What tricks can one use to get them to acquire the vocab in the novel, practice it in other contexts, learn how to write their own stories from their study of the book, etc?

I'm penning this in English as I think that teachers of English might be in a good position to advise here as well as teachers of Gaeilge.

All advice greatly appreciated.:)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I did some novel work with advanced 1st years last year.

I let them all choose their own book from their local or the school library. They had a bit of time in a class or two to read so I could ask them about the book and see if they're really reading. I didn't get them to do summaries as I felt that was too much like hard work and I just wanted them to enjoy reading in Irish as they do in English.

Then they all designed a poster to advertise the book, gave a presentation on the book to their peers. Taught each other the new vocab that they found in their book (having looked it up themselves). Then did the usual putting those in sentences etc. A few ended up swapping books eventually. We also wrote a letter to an Irish language newspaper giving their opinion of literature for 12 year olds.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Gaelscoil is primary, Gaelcholáiste is secondary usually,in case of confusion.What about getting groups to do a short drama on the different chapters?You could even record it and show it to other classes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭liverpool lad

In terms of the novel, I would get them, on top of doing achomirí, it could be good to get them to create a profile so to speak of the characters. so they continually add on with every few pages.

Also, you could use it highlighting grammer notes. Like expamples of Tuiseal Tabharthach and Ginideach, cuspóireach srl. (it is on the syllabus for JC HL anyway).

And then maybe even steer towards giving them an occuring theme throughout, Grá, Brón, Spórt, Clann srl. as a way of making them get out information from the book and make them think about it.

Áililiú Bop Siúáidí is a nice steady easy read, used in JC HL for the Prós question. It may be a bit advanced though for first years, particularly for the weaker of students however. It is just the book I'm thinking of as an example.

Also you can use it to create a foclóir and use it to show two ways of saying things. Like if Féiliúnach is used in the prós give them oiriúnach as well, fiche=scór and so on.

Hope this helps.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Gaelscoil is primary, Gaelcholáiste is secondary usually,in case of confusion.

I went to a post-primary Gaelscoil and taught there. Never heard Gaelcholáiste being used.
    But that is besides the point...

Advertisement