Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big brands reducing pack sizes.

Options
  • 28-08-2012 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭maddragon

Just back from the weekly shop. Got a bit of a shock. I noticed that several of the nappy packs have a reduced quantity in them. For example, pampers new baby size 1 had 54 in the pack last week but only 50 this week - at the same price of course. Johnsons baby wipes used to have 72 wipes in a pack and now only 56 which is over a 20% reduction. We really are getting ripped off at every turn as consumers. What's to be done?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

27 x 3 ply bog rolls for 6 euro..is good for me and my wallet (and me bum too).:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Delaz Shops are good for toilet/hygene products and sundries.

Everything is 1 euro 49 cents or less.

Or else the local market where you can get "100 wash" washing powder boxes for 13-15 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

What's to be done?

maybe post in the Rip Off Ireland forum?

moved from politics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Vote with your feet buy a better value brand or use the washable ones.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Retailer

As a retailer my suppliers tell me that some manufacturers are reducing pack size but keeping the price the same. This is to offset the weak euro as to give the impression that prices aren't increasing.

What I have found is that a lot of products that haven't reduced in size, have in fact ever so subtlely increased in price.

A shop such as dealz is fantastic, however they work off extremely right margins and depend in volume sales. If the euro continues to weaken against sterling, shops like these won't be able to continue to sell at the 1.49 price point, or else their pack quantities may too have to be reduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Lplated

The best consumers can do is be alert to what they are actually buying - check things like price per kg, quantity etc...

One thing that surprised me lately, buying Tesco own brand coffee, that the 200g jar was cheaper per kg than the 300g one.

Message is, i think, don't get in the 'habit' of simply picking up the same stuff every week without checking for changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Lplated wrote: »
    The best consumers can do is be alert to what they are actually buying - check things like price per kg, quantity etc...

One thing that surprised me lately, buying Tesco own brand coffee, that the 200g jar was cheaper per kg than the 300g one.

Message is, i think, don't get in the 'habit' of simply picking up the same stuff every week without checking for changes.

We find this all the time , esp things like cereals and washing powder. Always check the price per KG .

Often it's actually cheaper to buy two smaller packs.

I think people pick up the big ones thinking they are saving money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Davidth88 wrote: »
    We find this all the time , esp things like cereals and washing powder. Always check the price per KG .

Often it's actually cheaper to buy two smaller packs.

I think people pick up the big ones thinking they are saving money.

weetabix are brilliant for this, depending on offers its cheaper to buy 3 x 24 packs, than 1 x 72!

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭maddragon

hoodwinked wrote: »
    weetabix are brilliant for this, depending on offers its cheaper to buy 3 x 24 packs, than 1 x 72!

I havent bought weetabix in years. Dunnes Wheat Biscuits are the exact same ingredient for ingredient and are €2.79 for 48.

• Advertisement

yoplait petit filous and big pots have also just changed size by a few grams.... done at the same time as a repackaging so you don't notice

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

maddragon wrote: »
    Just back from the weekly shop. Got a bit of a shock. I noticed that several of the nappy packs have a reduced quantity in them. For example, pampers new baby size 1 had 54 in the pack last week but only 50 this week - at the same price of course. Johnsons baby wipes used to have 72 wipes in a pack and now only 56 which is over a 20% reduction. We really are getting ripped off at every turn as consumers. What's to be done?

The pampers economy packs changed contents last nov.

The mega packs changed in Jan, but they'd take a while to change over in smaller stores.

The Pampers wipes will be changing to 56 pk from a 64 wipe pack soon.

J&J changed their wipes to 64 form 72 in May 2008!

Its true though, when a branded item goes up by 5c, suddenly everyone seems to notice and sales slow for a few week.

So brands make it smaller.

When a 'own brand' product increases in price it only slows slightly.

Usually when they change the contents etc, they do a 2 for €x offer so nobody will notice.

Coffee has also changed to 90g and 180g jars.

No change on tea bags yet, think people are just used to buying 80 Lyons etc.

Advertisement