Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GET UP !!!!!

• 28-08-2012 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

Ok we sure back to school, back to routine . Thank god... summers way to long. Anyway getting my son out of bed in the morning is just not fun. How do you get your little angels out of the leaba ???? Is it a boy thing? I've friends with daughters that get themselves up and out to school with out a word.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

My son is the same, he is almost 15 and getting himout of bed is a fight. He has been warned be up and ready or lose your phone for the day, fingers crossed it works. My daughters are younger but they are no bother to get up hopefully that will continue!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

So far so good, my daughter's getting up when told, thankfully she is at an all girls school otherwise getting out if the bathroom in a morning would be an issue...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Teenagers, esp those between 13 and 15 need more sleep.
    Their bodies are growing at a rapid rate the same as new borns to 2 year old.
    They need between 9 and 10 hours a night.
    The is thing is often they don't go to sleep until close to 11pm and so don't' get enough sleep.

I had issues with mine, until they figured out that they could get 40 mins to an hour of
    pc/console gaming in if they got up at 7/7:30 and so go to school in a good mood
    having got some gaming in and with their brains already awake and thinking.

PC/consoles don't go on until after they have gotten dressed, had breakfast, brushed teeth and have checked their bags. Then they get some time, playing games or checking websites.

I found a series of alarms was helpful and just be tough with them in terms of insisting they go to bed by 9:30 and that lights are off by 10pm.

Making sure dinner is early enough in the evening so that they have time after it helps as well, so they feel they had some 'fun' time before going to bed between chores and home work. Also pre bed time snack helps, mine still have a drink of milk before bed.

Eventually they do become more responsible when it comes to thier bed time routine and the getting up in the morning, it's like anything else, you have to get them into good habits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

Daisy M wrote: »
    My son is the same, he is almost 15 and getting himout of bed is a fight. He has been warned be up and ready or lose your phone for the day, fingers crossed it works. My daughters are younger but they are no bother to get up hopefully that will continue!!
    Mine is also 15!! They are just gas at that age :)
    Everything is just so unfair lol

cynder wrote: »
    So far so good, my daughter's getting up when told, thankfully she is at an all girls school otherwise getting out if the bathroom in a morning would be an issue...
    I really think it might be a boy thing...we go through years of trying to get them to sleep, then years trying to wake them up..

• Advertisement

cynder wrote: »
    I really think it might be a boy thing...we go through years of trying to get them to sleep, then years trying to wake them up..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Justask wrote: »
    I really think it might be a boy thing...

It's not. Teenagers have completely different circadian rhythms to adults and children. Their melatonin secretions start much later than ours do and consequently they find it very difficult to sleep until the early hours of the morning. So in order to get the 9-10 hours sleep that they tend to need they need to sleep in the morning. It's not teenagers being difficult or lazy, it's just their biology.

This was meant as a light hearted thread.......ah well :)

iguana wrote: »
    It's not. Teenagers have completely different circadian rhythms to adults and children. Their melatonin secretions start much later than ours do and consequently they find it very difficult to sleep until the early hours of the morning. So in order to get the 9-10 hours sleep that they tend to need they need to sleep in the morning. It's not teenagers being difficult or lazy, it's just their biology.

In fairness most parents of teens know that. My lad was a nightmare to get out of bed after 11 hours sleep over the summer. I think he would have literally waited ther for 16hrs if he was let.:)

He always seems to pick up every little bug going through out the winter months and I really believe its the lack of enough sleep catching up on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Justask wrote: »

It's a boy thing definitely.Mine has been a nightmare since he was 15 and several friends have experienced the same with boys and not girls. Several are like mine in that they also are extremely difficult to wake up. I have shouted and shaken him. I have slapped him up to five or six times without progress ... pouring a glass of water ended up being the most successful. Also once stirred I started bringing a hot facecloth for him to use on his face and this helped move him from stirred to awake. But it's still very difficult now - he's 20 !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Ellsbells

I don't think physical violence either by slapping or throwing water is an acceptable way to wake up a child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭Mr. Muddle

My almost 13 year old girl has just started secondary school. She hates getting up in the mornings, in the summer she would stay asleep until lunchtime whenever possible.

She needs to be up by 7.30 to be out of the house by 8.25 so she has asked me to wake her at 7.10 so she can 'lie in' for 20 minutes :rolleyes:. Its working for us so far but only in our second week.

Also she has to tell me what she wants for her lunch and breakfast the night before because she is unable to make a decision that early in the morning. I try to get her to have french toast or something with protein in the morning to fill her up until little break and hope that by the time she is in class she has turned into a reasonable human not the grumpy zombie we have every morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

So far i have had no issues with my lady, one call and she is up. We had visitors last night and she stayed up till 12. Gave her a knock on the door this morning and she got up right away. She had less than 8 hours sleep. She is normaly in bed by 10.30.

If she has sleepovers she doesnt go to sleep at all, she was at a wedding last friday and stayed up till 4, she was sharing her hotel room with her friend, she was up at 10 for breakfast and her friend (also the same age) didnt get up to 11.30 she was really mad, she couldnt understand why her friend couldnt get out of bed and she wanted to go down and eat some breakfast, her friend wanted to sleep.

Maybe this sleep thing will hit her when she is older, or maybe not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭HeyThereDeliah

Give them an alarm clock young people should be able to get up themselves and it's a valuable lesson for when they leave home.
    I know some people think this is harsh but it will work for most kids. There is nothing worse than having to call someone repeadly especially if you are getting ready for work yourself.

Give them an alarm clock young people should be able to get up themselves and it's a valuable lesson for when they leave home.
    I know some people think this is harsh but it will work for most kids. There is nothing worse than having to call someone repeadly especially if you are getting ready for work yourself.

When I ask my son to set an alarm he sets it about half an hour early and sleeps through it while every one else is woken early!! I find the best way is that if he doesn't take the responsibility to get up when called is to take his phone away, its amazing it works for just about everything. The games time idea is a no go in our house because I think he is already too hooked on the x box, it would then be a fight to get him off. He is doing his JC this year and there is no xbox monday to friday and already one week in he is a different child, interacts more is more active and not constantly stuck in his room playing with it or arguing with us because we turn off the wifi. For some kids these things are too addictive and they end up taking over their lives.

Me and hubby love our sleep and enjoy having a liein at the weekends but some people can't seem to sleep in and never have so maybe its a partial genetic thing?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Awww gosh, not being able to get up in the morning is definitely not a boy only problem!
    My mam normally calls me about half an hour before I have to get up to get me into a semi concious state, so then when she calls me that I really need to get up its not too bad.
    Its odd though, coz I could get over 6 or up to 9 hours sleep and Id still have the same groggy, "uhh its morning" moment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭HeyThereDeliah

I think we all have the same mentality and if we know someone else is going to wake us we will sleep away until woken.
    Where on the other hand if we know it's our own responsibility to get up then our minds are conscious of that and we will hear the alarm.
    I usually wake just before my alarm but I know lots of people who don't and some who constantly use the snooze button delaying the inevitable as long as they can.

Daisy M wrote: »
    When I ask my son to set an alarm he sets it about half an hour early and sleeps through it while every one else is woken early!! I find the best way is that if he doesn't take the responsibility to get up when called is to take his phone away, its amazing it works for just about everything. The games time idea is a no go in our house because I think he is already too hooked on the x box, it would then be a fight to get him off. He is doing his JC this year and there is no xbox monday to friday and already one week in he is a different child, interacts more is more active and not constantly stuck in his room playing with it or arguing with us because we turn off the wifi. For some kids these things are too addictive and they end up taking over their lives.

Me and hubby love our sleep and enjoy having a liein at the weekends but some people can't seem to sleep in and never have so maybe its a partial genetic thing?

HAhahahahaha I did this, made him set his alarm and he did at 6.30 :confused: Why? dont ask. then I went in to turn it off but had to wake him to get the code....that was fun :rolleyes:

Ellsbells wrote: »
    I don't think physical violence either by slapping or throwing water is an acceptable way to wake up a child.

You're having a laugh !!! :rolleyes:

Piliger wrote: »
    Several are like mine in that they also are extremely difficult to wake up. I have shouted and shaken him. I have slapped him up to five or six times without progress ... pouring a glass of water ended up being the most successful. Also once stirred I started bringing a hot facecloth for him to use on his face and this helped move him from stirred to awake. But it's still very difficult now - he's 20 !
    You're having a laugh !!! :rolleyes:

I don't find anything even vaguely amusing about it.

• Advertisement

Clearly ... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭loser2k12

They weren't saying that they gauged the child's eyeballs out, merely a few slaps on the face. They also didn't mention the severity of the slaps. Honestly...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭gara

What is wrong with you people? It is absolutely not acceptable to hit or throw water over your teenager to wake them -how on earth would you like if somebody did that to you?

Clearly ... :rolleyes:

Yeah and by 'it' I meant physical violence from a grown man against a teenager.

Yeah and by 'it' I meant physical violence from a grown man against a teenager.

Only in your parallel universe. HE ASKED FOR THE WATER !! and slapping someone on their cheek is a perfectly normal and acceptable thing to do if someone won't come out of unconsciousness. You're obsessed with violence it would seem.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭loser2k12

Just so you all know, paramedics use physical methods to try wake an unconscious person i.e shaking of the shoulders and tugging on the earlobe. I heard this from an actual medical professional. It's to test a person's level of consciousness & to try get a response. It's not unheard of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

For some reason, getting my gang up this year has been much easier:) Could be because it hasn't been such a battle getting them to bed at night either....Long may it last. It's very stressful when they won't get up especially when 2 out of the 3 of them are bigger than me.

There was no mention of him being unconscious until now :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭TopOfTheHill

Spent years trying to get my girls to stay in bed a little longer in the morning so we could all have a lie in.

Eventually consigned myself to the early mornings to now find I am the only person wondering through the house before 10AM at the weekends (so peaceful :) )

LOL @ glass of water - that is 'sooooo unfair' :D

School mornings are a disaster - need new tactics.

• Advertisement

There was no mention of him being unconscious until now :rolleyes:
    :D unconscious ... sleep ... deep ..... :rolleyes:

Advertisement