Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GET UP !!!!!

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Ellsbells

Piliger wrote: »
    :D unconscious ... sleep ... deep ..... :rolleyes:

Ah ok so it wasn't for medical reasons, he was just asleep. Thanks for clarifying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

Spent years trying to get my girls to stay in bed a little longer in the morning so we could all have a lie in.

Eventually consigned myself to the early mornings to now find I am the only person wondering through the house before 10AM at the weekends (so peaceful :) )

LOL @ glass of water - that is 'sooooo unfair' :D

School mornings are a disaster - need new tactics.

I'm shocked, 'blasting them with piss' hasn't been suggested

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Spent years trying to get my girls to stay in bed a little longer in the morning so we could all have a lie in.

Eventually consigned myself to the early mornings to now find I am the only person wondering through the house before 10AM at the weekends (so peaceful :) )

LOL @ glass of water - that is 'sooooo unfair' :D
    But as it was his own suggestion ... it worked :)
    School mornings are a disaster - need new tactics.

Good luck !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Ellsbells wrote: »
    Yeah and by 'it' I meant physical violence from a grown man against a teenager.
    Ellsbells wrote: »
    Ah ok so it wasn't for medical reasons, he was just asleep. Thanks for clarifying.

Please stop taking the thread off topic. As I mentioned in the thread I just locked there's other forums for discussing the rights and wrongs of things. The OP asked a simple question here - that's the topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

You're having a laugh !!! :rolleyes:
    Clearly ... :rolleyes:

If you have a problem with a post please report it. Responding in kind just makes things worse and retaliation just leads to trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

When my siblings & I were that age, my parents just charged us USD $5 if we missed the bus. They called it a taxi fee as they'd have to bring us into school. It was our responsibility to get ourselves up, fed, dressed & ready so I've never understood this whole struggle with parents trying to wake up a teen :confused:. When we were 16 we drove ourselves in; sleeping in just wasn't an option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Ayla wrote: »
    When my siblings & I were that age, my parents just charged us USD $5 if we missed the bus. They called it a taxi fee as they'd have to bring us into school. It was our responsibility to get ourselves up, fed, dressed & ready so I've never understood this whole struggle with parents trying to wake up a teen :confused:. When we were 16 we drove ourselves in; sleeping in just wasn't an option.

False economy really as the $5 probably came from them originally unless you had a part time job in which case this method is not bad at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

not really false as the debt would just build up and the kid wouldn't get their pocket money for longer so they are still being punished and the parents are quids in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

zarquon wrote: »
    False economy really as the $5 probably came from them originally unless you had a part time job in which case this method is not bad at all.

We were never given any sort of an allowance; we earned our own money outside of the house. So losing $5 was a big deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

At 14 I had to be at work for 7.30 never arrived in late, at 16 I changed jobs and worked till 10 or 11 and during xmas to 2 or 3 am 5 nights aweek always got up before 10.

I never arrived late, it could have cost me a job I was normally 30 mins early and I had to walk or cycle the 3 mile, to and from walk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

When I was young my mother called and cajoled and did all the things you say to get me to school on time. We lived 6 miles from school and I had to use a school bus to get there, not on time = no school for the day as my mother can't drive and our family's only car was in use with Dad at his work ( Ireland mid 1970's when everybody was poor......)

I learnt about getting up when in my first job I had to get a lift to work with my father, if I wasnt up and out and ready on time I would miss the lift and be late or be delayed in doing my work, what would take 3 hours to do from 4.30am to 7.30am would take 5 hours to do if started later in heavy traffic....

I soon learned to get up on time.

Also the work was self employed and if you didnt work you didn't get paid so that was another incentive.

My daughters are very good at getting up as they get the one call and no more. No nagging, cajoling or begging. I treat them as adults and expect them to behave as adults, my wife does the same.

We are lucky as we never had any problems with school or authorities with our kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Wen I was young my mam would send the dog upstairs to wake me... she wouldnt stop licking and nuzzling me till I got up lol

Advertisement