Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Carlow - Tell me everything :-)

Options
  • 28-08-2012 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭

If this is not an appropriate thread, apologies.

Right so I am moving to Carlow town in a couple of weeks, house and all sorted. Although I don't know hardly any people. So I am interested in all the stuff the locals know :-)

Things I still have to sort out when I move are things like a doctor, golf club, any interesting clubs for that matter, a local pub for sports and a quiet drink. Also things like the best butchers, locals events and stuff that a 28 year old might be interested in :-). What are the student nights (places to avoid)?

People of Carlow please impart your local knowledge on me. I'm open and interested in it all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭jay gatsby

Well HailHail, good luck with the move, hope you like the place. I'll throw in a few bits and pieces here and I'm sure others will add their tuppence worth.

Golf Club - Carlow Golf club in Oak Park, seems to be well known and a good course and clubhouse. There is also a Par 3 in a place called Quinagh - just ask when you get here becasue most locals will know them both.

Doctor - Could be tricky actually becasue a lot of them are full i believe and it can be hard toget them to take you on. Anyway there is a big practice in Shamrock Plaza which is right in the middle of town and they could point you in the right direction I'm sure.

Dinn Ri pub in the centre of town has a good big screen for sports - O' Loughlins is a good rugby pub, it's on Dublin St and is well known. For other pubs you can see the poll thread elsewhere on this forum for some ideas.

Busiest pubs/nightclubs - probably Scraggs but not sure where the student nights are anymore - not a midweeek drinker these days.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭nomunnnofun

Best of luck with the move HailHail,
    Like Jay Gatsby mentioned, carlow golf club is just 1 km out of town and is a very good club. Consistently around the 20-25 placing for Golf digests top courses in Ireland. Joining fee - Think it's around 1500, yearly subs are around 850.
    Plenty of GAA clubs near town. Eire Og, O'Hanrahans, Palatine.
    Soccer clubs in town - St Pats, Hanover, Stretford, New Oak.
    Carlow rugby club and hurling clubs are on outskirts of town also.

Plenty of good pubs in town, Scraggs, Tully's, Med, Barracks, Dinn Ri will all be showing big sports games.

Also, keep an eye out on this forum for any local events that are happening. Big ones that you have missed unfortunately are the Pan-Celtic festival and Eigse which were great this year but they will be happening next year again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Tennis club
    Rowing club
    St Laurence O' Toole athletics club
    Dolmen archery club
    Snooker club
    10-pin bowling
    8 screen digital cinema

There are a few places doing martial arts (one in Fairgreen SC), fitness bootcamps and Krav Maga courses have been run at times too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

There is a driving range aswell just about a 5-10 minute drive from the swimming pool!

Everyone has their preferences when it comes to pubs but i prefer O'Loughlins myself and Scraggs too!

Student nights are generally wednesday and thursday.

Oak Park is quite nice and i believe they are after putting exercise equipment somewhere in the park also!

Best of Luck with your move :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Butchers would be Boscos-has a shop across from Tesco in the Fairgreen centre. Meat in Superquinn is very good too.

Nice Thai called the Weeping Thaiger.
    Seven Oaks hotel always good for solid bar food, not fancy, but plenty.
    Visual-arts centre has good bits and pieces on, Lennons' café there is also good for food.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭jimbo79

If this is not an appropriate thread, apologies.

Right so I am moving to Carlow town in a couple of weeks, house and all sorted. Although I don't know hardly any people. So I am interested in all the stuff the locals know :-)

Things I still have to sort out when I move are things like a doctor, golf club, any interesting clubs for that matter, a local pub for sports and a quiet drink. Also things like the best butchers, locals events and stuff that a 28 year old might be interested in :-). What are the student nights (places to avoid)?

People of Carlow please impart your local knowledge on me. I'm open and interested in it all.

the irishmans is a good bar for sports, whatever your sport they cover it mainly gaa and rugby but the soccer is also shown, great pint there too, well run to no messing, brennans butchers on dublin street is very good

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭RedWolfCQB

Abandon hope all ye who enter here

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Hailhail1967

Any decent public parks in the town or close by? One with monkey bars and exercise equipment would be a bonus :-)

Any decent public parks in the town or close by? One with monkey bars and exercise equipment would be a bonus :-)

Do you drive?

There is exercise equipment in Oak Park. Its a little drive from town but its a really nice place! :)

Oh ya I do, I must google that one :-) Thanks

• Advertisement

Do you drive?

There is exercise equipment in Oak Park. Its a little drive from town but its a really nice place! :)

Was out there the other day. Its lovely out there I must say, nice to go for a run through the forest. Exercise equipment not really much use to me personally but very cool to have it out there, excellent facility in fairness.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Its very very rough, just watch yourself late at night and lads who look like trouble when your drunk when your out. Dont walk anywhere alone

I'v lived in a number of towns and cities in Ireland and a couple abroad and I certainly wouldn't describe Carlow as very rough, not rough at all in fact.

You have drunk arseholes everywhere that's just life in my opinion

I'v lived in a number of towns and cities in Ireland and a couple abroad and I certainly wouldn't describe Carlow as very rough, not rough at all in fact.

You have drunk arseholes everywhere that's just life in my opinion

But the problem is some of them arent drunk. Just be careful! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Boreddotcom

Move to Waterford it's great down here :)

Just spent 5 years living in Waterford :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭jimbo79

Move to Waterford it's great down here :)

lived in dungarvan, fine town with some great pubs

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Can we keep it to Carlow please?Waterford forum is there for all the die-hard Deise!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Butchers would be Boscos-has a shop across from Tesco in the Fairgreen centre. Meat in Superquinn is very good too.

Farm 2 Fork butcher in the Tougher petrol station forecourt on Staplestown Road is the best butchers in town IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭RedWolfCQB

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Philly Kehoe's butcher in the Tougher petrol station forecourt on Staplestown Road is the best butchers in town IMO

yeah a year ago when it was still open!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

areyawell wrote: »
    Its very very rough, just watch yourself late at night and lads who look like trouble when your drunk when your out. Dont walk anywhere alone

lol

• Site Banned Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Wee Willy Harris

Hey I used to live at the Burrin street junction...

it's mad, down there. Obtain some Supermacs vouchers maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

RedWolfCQB wrote: »
    yeah a year ago when it was still open!

I gave wrong butcher name
    I meant the one beside it.
    Farm to Fork

• Registered Users Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭Carlow2011

Mod Snip* have already warned people to post helpful answers*

• Site Banned Posts: 385 ✭✭pontia

• Registered Users Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭Carlow2011

Carlow2011 wrote: »
    And you can't make a joke about Carlow either so careful as you go....you might get snipped

So now I'm looking for pubs with good pool tables, any help or recommendations?

O'Loughlins on Dublin Street have some downstairs!

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

leveretts have one

• Advertisement

Real Life wrote: »
    leveretts have one

Where is that? Essentially I don't go out anymore, so not familiar with the pubs as such, hoping to change that next week as I have a few things on :-)

Advertisement